Hey, need help please..

Cubanito

I have a female husky shes 10 weeks old, had her since she was about 5 or 6 shes playful, gets excited when she sees me moves her tails and.pees if enjoyment, but.. Yesterday I gave her a dog food that comes in a can for dogs it has meat in, and as soon as I gave it to her she wont let me get close to it, even tried to bite me when I got close, and she warns me and just gets ugly with her tail down even after I corrected her she still attacked me? And after shes done eating it she just comes to me as nothing happened and I can start petting her again, Its only with this food with her normal food I can place my hand while shes eating and she wont care..

Help please? Am worried..

OK you have two issues.

1. She was taken from her litter WAAAAY too early. Normally they don't leave the litter until 8-10 weeks.

During the last few weeks they learn bite inhibition.

This is the ability to take things in the mouth without biting hard.

They learn this by playfighting with their siblings learning how hard to bite playfully without hurting.

When a puppy is taken from the litter too early they won't have learned this skill.

2. Food aggression.

Put her in a crate or a separate room when you are preparing her food.

Then put the food out at her eating place and then let her in to eat.

You might also try training her to wait on command for the food

She must sit and wait until you say it is ok for her to eat.

This way she learns that YOU control the food and not her.

Edited by Andy

I got my puppy early as well, and although I haven't had any issues with food aggression or biting, I do have an american eskimo puppy she is playing with and growing up with. This isn't professional advice or anything, but maybe also try scheduling some playdates with a friends puppy or something so she can learn social and playing manners that she wasn't able to learn from her litter mates ^.-

If you can't pick the food up safely, scoop her up so that you are effectively controlling this high-value food - consider feeding it little by little by hand, if you can. You may end up with some sore fingers for a bit, but it will help teach her that you give the food - and she can only have it if she behaves in a civilized manner!

I have an adult dog who's food possessive and we're again having a session of "I'll feed it to you when and if I'm ready!". She's now on day two of not eating ... sorry, Sasha, but it's my way or you're going to go hungry. To make it clear, I offer her food twice a day - she refuses as long as I have the bowl.

Since you said it's canned food, what I think I might try is to put a little with her regular food - make her work for it - and you hold the food bowl. She growls, just take the bowl up - since you're holding it that's easy enough to do.

As with me, we control the food, you don't behave you don't get the goodies. They're not dumb, they'll get the idea.

My Husky was like that too. With food and those smoked bones. I use to feed her by hand for a little bit. And when I gave it to her in her bowl if she would growl or push my hand away with her nose I would keep picking the bowl up. Over a little bit of time she is much better. She is still aggressive when other dogs get near her food, but not people. Still to this day I make her sit for her food ( but I have to feed her away from other dogs ).

Panda was like that at first with his raw bones etc, while with kibble etc he won't snap he would eat really fast when i have my hands close.

What i did with Panda was, i made him sit and wait in his crate while i placed his food on the ground, i would make him wait 2-5 mins or so at first.

Gave him the release to get his food, while he was eating i would slowly add some kibble that i separated earlier into his bowl. I would also use a higher value food like Chicken breast and place my hand closer to his bowl and he would take the chicken breast from my hand.

With the bone i did pretty much the same thing, let him know i'm coming and use another high value treat like chicken breast and took the bone with my other hand. You should also teach him/her a "leave it" command. Now i can just walk straight up to him and take it as long as i give him the "leave it" command.