Puppy bored of food (I've tried everything)

Mikey

Hi,

as some of you may know I have a Husky cross Malamute, Male and going to be 7 months this saturday!!!

Im going to change his food but need some advice on what to change it to...

At the moment he's on Orijen Puppy Large Breed (£62 per 13.5KG!!) and after doing so good on it for 3 months, he's gone off it now.

I've tried taking the food away and putting it down for 15 mins but he only has a cupful and then goes back. Treats or anything else is always nice to him and he never misses a chance when I say "you want a sweety?" lol

So I want to know from Pets at Home, What do you feed your dog/puppy?

I was told they do Arden Grange which is good but anything else.

I do want my dog to be a huge stocky dog so anything that can help there is good.

Thank You all

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think what you feed your dog is going to determine his body type, except for becoming overweight. When you say he's gone off his food, I'm not sure what you mean...that he stopped eating? He won't starve himself, for sure. Try mixing in a little tuna with the water from the can. Add extra water and just use mostly that and a few pieces of tuna. Wet the kibble with the tuna water. If he just picks out the pieces of fish, then you know you are being taken by the little bugger!

First, I have to agree with [MENTION=2509]HuskyHijinx[/MENTION], if you have a slim dog all the food in the world isn't going to make him husky, all it'll do is make him fat! A stocky dog will put on weight and be stocky, a slim dog will put on weight and still be svelte - there isn't much you can do about it.

On the other note, I'm hard school - dogs don't become bored with food. They may manipulate you to get a better food (( the tuna )). IF your dog is in good health and the quality of food you're feeding is good then don't worry about it, he'll eat when he gets hungry. If he finds he can manipulate you to get more treats or a human food - just to get him to eat - be prepared for a dog who will manipulate you every chance he gets.

I don't think what you feed your dog is going to determine his body type, except for becoming overweight. When you say he's gone off his food, I'm not sure what you mean...that he stopped eating? He won't starve himself, for sure. Try mixing in a little tuna with the water from the can. Add extra water and just use mostly that and a few pieces of tuna. Wet the kibble with the tuna water. If he just picks out the pieces of fish, then you know you are being taken by the little bugger!

He hasn't stopped eating but he's not finishing his food, He'll nibble at it and then walk away.

I add 1/3 of a can of Butchers puppy food but all he seems to do is pick at the chunks and then just go.

I also add boiling water to his food to soften it and to make it smell nice but he's not bothered (I let the food cool down before I give it to him)

He does try and manipulate me, like when im by his bowl telling him to eat (I make him sit at his bowl then I give him his release command) he just goes to the bowl sniffs it and when I turn my back he runs behind the sofa so I cant get to him!

Or he'll just sit by his bowl at look at me if i've given him nothing to eat lol

What does everybody else feed their dog/puppy?

and also when he does go to the toilet he's stool is hard at first then its runny and I have to clean his bum with a babywipe (well he is my baby lol)

Don't put 'toppings' on his food to entice him to eat. It will just make him into a (more) picky eater, and eventually you'll have to change kibble brands. I've learned that the hard way.

He'll eat eventually - keep on doing what you've been doing with the 15 minute rule. If he doesn't eat, he doesn't get any treats throughout the day. That way, he learns the only way he'll get food is during 'this' time...all of the other treats are just 'bonus food'!

How much are you trying to give him? Maybe he just isn't hungry enough to eat all of it?

EDIT: I feed my boy Taste of the Wild, but when I first got him I fed him Merrick.

I tried to get him to eat just the kibble, then resorted to putting wet food on it. After 2 years of putting wet food on his kibble, I tried Taste of the Wild.

He ate it all right away without waiting for the 'topping'. As it turns out, he just didn't like the way Merrick tasted...he would put some kibbles in his mouth and then spit about half of them back out.

how much is he being fed this is usually what causes a pup to have runny stools?

as already said adding topping will make a dog even more fussy too, personally i feed raw but i recommend csj, wainwrights or james well beloved xx

Don't put 'toppings' on his food to entice him to eat. It will just make him into a (more) picky eater, and eventually you'll have to change kibble brands. I've learned that the hard way.

He'll eat eventually - keep on doing what you've been doing with the 15 minute rule. If he doesn't eat, he doesn't get any treats throughout the day. That way, he learns the only way he'll get food is during 'this' time...all of the other treats are just 'bonus food'!

How much are you trying to give him? Maybe he just isn't hungry enough to eat all of it?

EDIT: I feed my boy Taste of the Wild, but when I first got him I fed him Merrick.

I tried to get him to eat just the kibble, then resorted to putting wet food on it. After 2 years of putting wet food on his kibble, I tried Taste of the Wild.

He ate it all right away without waiting for the 'topping'. As it turns out, he just didn't like the way Merrick tasted...he would put some kibbles in his mouth and then spit about half of them back out.

I give him 200g three times a day including one can of Butchers Puppy food,

He's just gone of it, no change of the food, its the same bag, same bowl, same place and he's just not intrested in it,

In a day he probably eats less than a bowl thats less than 200g,

how much is he being fed this is usually what causes a pup to have runny stools?

as already said adding topping will make a dog even more fussy too, personally i feed raw but i recommend csj, wainwrights or james well beloved xx

I did go in to Pets at home today and asked them about their line of puppy foods,

I was told that I should go for a hypoallergenic type of food because its better on their stomach,

I did ask the chap their whats the best food they stock for puppies and he said Arden Grange is the best one their,

I only have one can left of Butchers so I think im going to get an ice cube tray and make treats for him. No more toppings!!

how much does he weigh?

id say your over feeding him a bit as the orijen feeding guides say that if hes between 20-30 kilo he should have 480 and 510 grams per day and if hes having a tin of dog meat aswell if means your trying to feed him 1000grams a day which is twice what he need so id take it down to about about 400grams and part of a tin he may want to eat then

how much does he weigh?

id say your over feeding him a bit as the orijen feeding guides say that if hes between 20-30 kilo he should have 480 and 510 grams per day and if hes having a tin of dog meat aswell if means your trying to feed him 1000grams a day which is twice what he need so id take it down to about about 400grams and part of a tin he may want to eat then

I have no idea how much he weighs, im going to do down to my local vets in the weekend for a check up,

The problem is that he just nibbles at the Butchers and a few kibble pieces and that it, he's not even eating 400g in a day.

i would just keep putting it down for a certain amount of time and then taking it away as he will eat when hes hungry no dog will starve itself you could also put him on 2 meals a day now instead of 3 we always changed ours to 3 meals around now as they werent hungry enough for 3 meals x

i would just keep putting it down for a certain amount of time and then taking it away as he will eat when hes hungry no dog will starve itself you could also put him on 2 meals a day now instead of 3 we always changed ours to 3 meals around now as they werent hungry enough for 3 meals x

I've always done the 15 mins rules, but the little one isnt to fussed.

I'll do what you say,

Cheers!

I have no idea how much he weighs, im going to do down to my local vets in the weekend for a check up,

The problem is that he just nibbles at the Butchers and a few kibble pieces and that it, he's not even eating 400g in a day.

After the vet check up, assuming that the vet's going to say that he's in fine health - give him the option, eat what I put down or go hungry. If he's not eating it's because he's not hungry. Think about it, do you eat if you're not hungry??

and I agree, it sounds to me like you're feeding him too much. Trying to entice him into eating is setting yourself up for manipulation later ...

In my own defense, my dogs will eat without "toppings." The tuna oil water has softened their coats and the vitamin E it adds to their diet is easier this way than in a supplement of sorts. Jack is the only one that will eat anything...including the two slices of tomato that he snipped off the counter last night when I turned my back. The other two are a little fussier, but eventually, they get hungry. My pack is spoiled, I'm guilty...but none of them ever knew for sure if their next meal was coming or not, and Andy lived with a dominant husky that would eat his, and nothing was ever done about it. Jessy was given "colored" food because the owner said she liked the colors, and she didn't want to have anything to do with it.

No defense really needed. What we choose to feed our friends is really a matter of personal choice. Mine eat about the worst food going and are healthy active dogs. Each of them has taken a 'vacation' from food and as long as they continue to be healthy and energetic I don't worry about it.

It's when people come in here talking about "My dogs aren't eating." that I tend to take the hard line approach - always assuming that the dog has been to the vet and is in generally good health!

Things we know:

1. Husky's generally don't need to eat as much as other dogs of the same size and weight.
  2. Husky's sometimes take a break from eating - sometimes for several days.
  3. A Husky is smart enough to manipulate an anxious owner!

Mine occasionally get table scraps (( shame on me! )) but it's my choice; if you want to feed your dog roast beef three times a day, it's your choice; I free feed, generally, the occasional problem changes that to a scheduled feeding temporarily - my choice. HOWEVER my recommendations are to not feed table scraps and to feed a good quality dog food on a reliable schedule

In my own defense, my dogs will eat without "toppings." The tuna oil water has softened their coats and the vitamin E it adds to their diet is easier this way than in a supplement of sorts. Jack is the only one that will eat anything...including the two slices of tomato that he snipped off the counter last night when I turned my back. The other two are a little fussier, but eventually, they get hungry. My pack is spoiled, I'm guilty...but none of them ever knew for sure if their next meal was coming or not, and Andy lived with a dominant husky that would eat his, and nothing was ever done about it. Jessy was given "colored" food because the owner said she liked the colors, and she didn't want to have anything to do with it.

I have booked my appointment at the Pets at home store, free consultation and if I feel I want to try a food I can get 25% off a bag, Not bad really

I think im going to switch to another company because of the costs too, I used to get them at £52 a bag but now I get them at £62 a bag,

Im looking towards Arden Grange, unless anyone that knows of a better company.

What tuna is it your feeding them and how much? (I dont eat any seafood so I dont have a clue)

Cheers

i know a lot of husky owners who feed csj its really cheap at £14 ish for a 15kg sack but its a quality food

also tuna from the supermarket in the tins always get the ones in oil or spring water never the ones in brine think they cost just over a pound for like 150g or something like that xx

luka sniffs at his food and leaves it without touching it. at the end of the day he eats when he is hungry. i'm not going to worry myself over him at this point. he's in good health and it's quality food. he'll eventually eat it. your dog is going to eat eventually, it's not going to starve itself. orijin is a GREAT food so i wouldn't worry.

Hi all,

Just an update, I took my baby to Pets at home to get his nutrition consultation, All is good, everyone who saw him was saying that he's a good size for his age and he's healthy.

She asked me about what food he's on and I told her about Orjien and she said she never herd of it. I told her about the ingredients and protein e.g and she was saying that its a bit too much for him,

He does get a lot of runs.

So I got a hypo-allergenic food Which is Wainwrights puppy large breed.

hopefully my furry baby can be much better on this food.

I got him weighed and he currently stands at 29KG at 7 months.

I'll add pictures of him when he wakes up, he's tired from running around in the store! lol

Hi all,

Just an update, I took my baby to Pets at home to get his nutrition consultation, All is good, everyone who saw him was saying that he's a good size for his age and he's healthy.

She asked me about what food he's on and I told her about Orjien and she said she never herd of it. I told her about the ingredients and protein e.g and she was saying that its a bit too much for him,

He does get a lot of runs.

So I got a hypo-allergenic food Which is Wainwrights puppy large breed.

hopefully my furry baby can be much better on this food.

I got him weighed and he currently stands at 29KG at 7 months.

I'll add pictures of him when he wakes up, he's tired from running around in the store! lol

Not sure how she hasn't heard of it, it's one of the best dog foods they offer. i do understand it being possibly too much protein though, i had to take Luka off of Taste of the Wild and switch him to Fromms because he had runny stools.

Also, Did you gradually transition him to his new food? It will upset his sensitive stomach if you just immediately switch him.