Need help on a name

HuskyGuerl

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Athena (Greek goddess of the hunt, nature, and birth.)

Freya (Nordic goddess of love, beauty, fertility, war, wealth, divination and magic)

Venus (Roman goddess and love and beauty)

(Why do all of the male god names sound awesome, but the female goddess names sound/look weird!?)

I've copied this from a Thread I made back in 2010.

It might give you some perspective. . . :P

Sooooo. . . .

How did you name your Huskies. .(or any pet for that matter) ??

We have had Cats and Gerbils and Rats and Russian Dwarf Hamsters and budgies and other dogs before getting Koda

And we've always gone through a torturous process in finding suitable names.

We always start off by getting each member of the family to write down as many names as they can come up with,

fun/cute /silly/absurd/normal or just plain boring all are considered.

We try to take in to account any striking physical markings or differences.

We then combine all the lists and give each family member a copy of the master list.

Each person then has to choose thier top 5 names.

We then combine the top 5 names and go around again until we have whittled several hundred names down to 5 that we all sort of like. . . .

Now we get to the SHOUTY phase. . .lol

We shout the names as if calling our dogs from a distance to see how they sound. . .coz. . .

When your dog manages to get away from you and is barrelling across the park with the intention of

inserting something physically into another dog, nose or. . .erm. . other bits. . . . or. . .deciding

that , that teacup Yorkshire terrier is the ugliest cat its ever seen and well. . .it just has to be eaten.

You are gonna start bellowing its name to get it to come back, stop or otherwise distract it.

It's at this point that "Veridian Gargoyle Saccharine Snugglebunnies"

sounds utterly stupid as you leg it after your dog screaming THAT at the top of your lungs.

Or if you have given it what you consider to be a suitable name for your so cute puppy. . .remember when half a ton of Rottwieler is going like a freight train away from you,

and you are shouting "Peanut!!!! come back Peanut"

Many really great names have been discarded at the Shouty phase.

So we are now down to a couple of names and we just start saying them to get a feel, does the dog respond, am I comfortable with the name?

At this point we've ended up throwing the whole lot out

because one of us says a name randomly out of the blue that makes everone go. . ."ÂOooooh yeah"

Such was the case with both Echo and Koda.

LOL. . .

So how do you name your dogs. . . .

As a side note Koda became Daughtry because within a few months there were half a dozen Kodas or Kodahs on the forum.

I've copied this from a Thread I made back in 2010.

It might give you some perspective. . . :P

How did you name your huskiesTE]

I remember this thread...

Andy came with his name...I think he had a few before he ended up with Andy, so we decided not to make it any more traumatic for him, and frankly, it fit! Jackson (Jack) came as Miller. We wondered if he'd been named after a can of beer, and when that was confirmed, we decided we liked the idea of "Andrew - Jackson" It was funny. Jessy was Misty. Misty just didn't seem to fit with Andy and Jack, and we figured she would end up being a tomboy of sorts, and we went through all our favorites, and it needed to be short, no more than 2 syllables, and Jessy was our decision, though we were willing to change if it didn't "work!" She responded to it almost immediately, and just seemed to fit with the others!

Good luck choosing....I still really like Lila or Lilly....

Aurora ain't a difficult name too say:facepalm:

It's 3 syllables, so it takes longer to say. And, in a difficult situation (ie: being frustrated after calling your dog to come back and it doesn't come), repeating the name can be tiresome and annoying.

And, IMO, I like names that have 1 or 2 syllables.

you can always shorten names or give the dogs a nickname if the name is too long

daughtry is dudes

i end up lengthening names as nicknames

we have daughtry- doo doo ma poo poo

echo- echolarr... white wooly woof woof

darwin- monkey man

malaki- mally moo, noisy bugger

Call it mutt then

trust me aurora ain't difficult too say you guys talk some rubbish

I never said Aurora isn't difficult to say, English is my first language and I'm pretty sure I can pronounce words like that with no trouble.

I just said Aurora is 3 syllables and (at least for me) saying a dog's name that has 3 syllables would be annoying if you had to shout it. I said it was my opinion, and as far as I know, having your own opinion isn't a crime.

IMO, if you're going to call a dog all the time by its nickname (because its original name was too long/too many syllables), why not just change its original name permanently to that nickname?

I don't understand why people give their dogs nicknames/multiple names. Wouldn't that just confuse the dog?

my dogs will respond to random word.... its the tone in which you say their names....

my dogs are not confused by their nicknames...... i thought most owners had nicknames for their dogs...

i dont call them by the nicknames but in reference with my family i use nicknames

my dogs will respond to random word.... its the tone in which you say their names....

my dogs are not confused by their nicknames...... i thought most owners had nicknames for their dogs...

i dont call them by the nicknames but in reference with my family i use nicknames

Well, I've tried that (using the exact same tone) and it doesn't work for my dog. Maybe he's just weird. :P