Having trouble posting pictures from a URL

Elyse

I'm having trouble posting pictures using a URL source. Uploading pictures from my computer works very well, though I can't see them in the post and they end up being attachments.

When I enter in a URL and hit 'OK', it either takes FOREVER for the dialogue box to disappear (and the picture appears in the post), the dialogue doesn't disappear after 5+ minutes and the picture doesn't show...in which case I hit cancel.

I haven't noticed a pattern. It happens with every site, every file type, and the size doesn't matter.

I'm running Mac OSX 10.6.8 (though that doesn't matter because it doesn't work with XP either), Firefox 16.0.1 (latest version) and the latest versions of java/flash/etc.

I've tried Safari and Google Chrome, with both having the same result.

Screenshot is attached.

post-3404-13586076225705_thumb.png

Edited by BlueWolf

Have you tried uploading them to Photobucket or dropbox and then using that URL / BBcode ??

they may load quicker from there.

Don't really know. . .just throwing out ideas

Also you might want to edit the pic as it's showing your Gmail address,

don't want any unwanted Spam or trolls. :P

(hmmm note to self quick copy it before she edits it.) lol

There are others who had similar problems with uploading photos on here. I have not experienced any of theses issues yet. In fact, I just used the same dialog to upload/insert an image just now and it worked fine as usual.

Does it act any differently when you have the 'Retrieve remote file and reference locally' unchecked?

Does this happen all the time? If you are comfortable enough with Firefox, can you do it again with the webconsole open (shift+ctrl+k. Make sure only JS and Logging is checked)? Does it produce any notice, warning or error messages?

ETA: Edited your picture regarding your email so you don't have to :)

Edited by BlueWolf

There are others who had similar problems with uploading photos on here. I have not experienced any of theses issues yet. In fact, I just used the same dialog to upload/insert an image just now and it worked fine as usual.

Does it act any differently when you have the 'Retrieve remote file and reference locally' unchecked?

Does this happen all the time? If you are comfortable enough with Firefox, can you do it again with the webconsole open (shift+ctrl+k. Make sure only JS and Logging is checked)? Does it produce any notice, warning or error messages?

ETA: Edited your picture regarding your email so you don't have to :)

It happens all the time. Before the forum was switched over to the new layout, it never happened. I thought it was a glitch with the new system and would go away in time but it hasn't.

This same error turned up both times (when the 'locally' box was checked and unchecked) :

[14:39:12.972] NS_ERROR_FAILURE: Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIDOMHTMLDocument.execCommand] @ http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/clientscript/ckeditor/ckeditor.js?t=A7HG4HT&v=420:80

EDIT: Woah, woah. Just saw the picture I posted was added as an attachment. Hm...let me try something.

EDIT 2: Okay, another one I tried posting (of a house) didn't work when the box was unchecked (but the error still showed).

EDIT 3: This is very random and not very consistent. Still got the error message, and the dialogue box didn't go away, but apparently the new picture (house) is attached but still not in the actual body of the post. (The local box was checked this time)

post-3404-13586076240621_thumb.jpg

post-3404-13586076241107_thumb.jpg

Edited by SolitaryHowl

[MENTION=3404]SolitaryHowl[/MENTION] Thank you. That error message helps me a lot in tracking down this issue. As far as I can see it's the editor which is developed by an external developer (not by the forum people) so not quite easy to fix code in there. Are you sure you're not running 15.0.1 by the way? That's what I am currently seeing what you are using to access the forum. I'm using 16.0.1 and have no problems with it.

If that's not the problem then: [MENTION=1262]Rosemary[/MENTION] Do you happen do run Firefox on a Mac? I'm seeing other people also reporting having problems with the editor and I'm noticing a pattern here. All of them appear to be running Firefox on a Mac. That would kind of explain why I'm not able to reproduce this problem even though I have the most recent version of Firefox.

@Rosemary Do you happen do run Firefox on a Mac? I'm seeing other people also reporting having problems with the editor and I'm noticing a pattern here. All of them appear to be running Firefox on a Mac. That would kind of explain why I'm not able to reproduce this problem even though I have the most recent version of Firefox.

No Jos, I don't have a Mac and I don't use Firefox - I use Google chrome on my laptop :redface1:

@SolitaryHowl Thank you. That error message helps me a lot in tracking down this issue. As far as I can see it's the editor which is developed by an external developer (not by the forum people) so not quite easy to fix code in there. Are you sure you're not running 15.0.1 by the way? That's what I am currently seeing what you are using to access the forum. I'm using 16.0.1 and have no problems with it.

If that's not the problem then: @Rosemary Do you happen do run Firefox on a Mac? I'm seeing other people also reporting having problems with the editor and I'm noticing a pattern here. All of them appear to be running Firefox on a Mac. That would kind of explain why I'm not able to reproduce this problem even though I have the most recent version of Firefox.

Oh, it turns out the update downloaded but never installed. I forgot I had to restart Firefox. :oops It the latest version now, though.

Lemmie test to see if it works or not...

Nope, still shows the same error. (Box unchecked)

Def a browser issue, I have no problems here with it. The only one I know happens is when its on "store locally" it is occasionally that the file is over the server limit. Other than that Im really unsure.

• 3 weeks later...

[MENTION=2355]BlueWolf[/MENTION]

Okay, so I figured out a way around it. And it only take an extra couple of seconds.

1. From the 'new post' page (advanced), go down to where it says 'manage attachments'. Click that.

2. A window will pop up. Go to the upper righthand corner and click on 'Add files'

3. Click on the "website" link..its very small at the top of the 'add files' thing that popped up.

4. Enter your URL. You can also add more than one by clicking the + sign. Very cool and saves time.

5. Click on 'Upload'

6. When it uploads (the window will go away) go to the bottom right corner of the 'manage attachments' window. There will be a button that says 'Insert Inline (number of pictures selected'. Click it.

post-3404-13586080050316_thumb.gif