breeding age for 1st litter

shell85

hi fellow pack mates :P

i was chatting to a group of people the other day who have huskys n malamuits,

during conversation 1 of the girls asked if i wanted to breed jess my husky with her husky.

(i said no as shes 6 years old & hasnt had a litter before)

she looked quite shocked & said jess could still have a 1st litter at 6 years old???

i was just wanting peoples opinion on the oldest a husky can have a first litter??

i am not planning on breeding her its just to see what u all think?

thanks for reading. hopefuly speak to someone soon.

x

As long as they continue to go through heats, they can get pregnant. And, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, as like it is in humans...the older you are when you get pregnant the greater the risk for birth complications for the mother and/or the puppies.

Please do NOT get your girl pregnant. There are too many unwanted dogs in shelters already, and breeding just for the sake of it just adds to that problem.

We on the forums have strong opinions on this, so expect (more) firm responses telling you to not breed your girl.

Edited by SolitaryHowl

I personally wouldn't breed a dog at that age it's unfair imo , not that I'd ever breed anyway far too many in rescue and then there's the risk ov problems which could end up in the loss of your girl , a rare risk I'm told but a risk all the same

My dad wanted to breed skyla (I got her spayed) I wouldn't have forgiven him if anything had happened to her

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

Besides the "too many are in rescues" take on breeding, at six I would avoid the risks associated with breeding at that age. Its not that she can't, but shouldn't.

Not to mention that its very unlikely that a responsible breeder would simply say "hey lets breed our dogs together". My answers when someone asks to breed my dogs to theirs is usually. "Okay, I will need to see proof of CERF certification, OFA results, and working titles. Also, since you are wanting a puppy out of my bitch, I will have to ask that you pay the stud costs, and fees for the veterinary exam to show they are both free of venereal diseases. She is due in heat next month, you will be paying the travel fees, yes?" Usually it ends with them running away.

The purpose of putting our dogs through the stresses of breeding is the goal of improving the breed, not making pretty puppies and pennies.

Short breeding checklist

http://www.learntobreed.com/pb/wp_2f94eadd/wp_2f94eadd.html

Every puppy a breeder creates is a life that is dependent on them, even after they have left the house. My pups will be returned to me if after 10 happy years, their owners cannot have them. NO MATTER WHAT. Ethics are the glue of responsible breeding.

http://www.dogplay.com/Breeding/ethics.html

There is a lot of consider when thinking about breeding. As jmscott mentioned an ethical breeder is responsible for every life they create and must make conscious decisions on why they are breeding which male to which female....not just because they have a male and a female that are capable of breeding. And be willing to take back any puppy produced for any reason for the lifetime of the puppy. But to answer the baseline question- Minimum age should be 2 years old, as that is the age that the hips can be properly evaluated and scored, eyes can be evaluated at a year and re-evaluated yearly, burcelosis testing weeks prior to breeding....but as they age the more complications can arise. The risk of C-section delivery increases as they age if they have not had a litter in earlier years.

http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com/health.html

hi there shell85 :) welcome to H-O. First of all I wanna thank you for saying "no" as that person sounds nothing like a responsible breeder. I believe you came here just to learn more, and there's the answer: yes, first litter at 6 y.o possible but risky. And you did the right thing by deciding not to breed your girl. Please don't take the answers you got above as an offense :) we just want to protect the dogs :)

just saying, because I've seen many people getting offended by our responses... Sorry I'm not being helpful :oops

The point is shell85 stated that she had no intension of breeding her 6 year old husky. She just asked a genuine question and wanted a simple answer yes or no........Ron

thanks for that ron. :) i wasnt expecting getting grilled from anyone i was just curious thats all. i have no intention of breeding her!!!

im going 2c about getn her done once she comes out of heat anyway.

i didnt take on the dog for breeding and have no intention of letn this happen either. all i wanted was advice so i could tell the wife who asked me that shes wrong on so many levels to breed a dog of that age. i have taken some of the replys offensive as i stated i said no.

hi there shell85 :) welcome to H-O. First of all I wanna thank you for saying "no" as that person sounds nothing like a responsible breeder. I believe you came here just to learn more, and there's the answer: yes, first litter at 6 y.o possible but risky. And you did the right thing by deciding not to breed your girl. Please don't take the answers you got above as an offense :) we just want to protect the dogs :)

just saying, because I've seen many people getting offended by our responses... Sorry I'm not being helpful :oops

if u read my post u would have seen that i said no!! so no need for the nastyness. all i wanted was advice to tell the wife shes wrong.

Besides the "too many are in rescues" take on breeding, at six I would avoid the risks associated with breeding at that age. Its not that she can't, but shouldn't.

Not to mention that its very unlikely that a responsible breeder would simply say "hey lets breed our dogs together". My answers when someone asks to breed my dogs to theirs is usually. "Okay, I will need to see proof of CERF certification, OFA results, and working titles. Also, since you are wanting a puppy out of my bitch, I will have to ask that you pay the stud costs, and fees for the veterinary exam to show they are both free of venereal diseases. She is due in heat next month, you will be paying the travel fees, yes?" Usually it ends with them running away.

The purpose of putting our dogs through the stresses of breeding is the goal of improving the breed, not making pretty puppies and pennies.

Michelle ignore the offensive comments above

you have done the right thing, we had similar happen to us at a show we went too two-three months ago. Some random guy came up to me started chatting to me and my partner and asked if I wanted to us his dog as a stud with our girl. Bearing in mind at the time my girl was 6months old just hmmmm

Did basically what I wasn't proud of and he got told to nicely go away and multiply

personally I would breed a dog at 6 years old but I am aware as said there's an increased risk the older the dog, and there's stacks to bear in mind. Vet bills/feeding anywhere from 1-2 pups upto 8 or 9 pups/worming them/finding suitable homes for them/insurance/vetting new owners/registering the pups costs a canny bit/ been prepared to take pups back. Sure there is more lol that's just what came quickly too mind.

the whole don't breed because there is loads in rescue that's true yes there is.

But that's down too irresponsible vetting/preloved/gum tree/new owners not researching what there getting into/ too many non kc dogs and back yard breeders kicking pooches out at a rate of knots. Not all breeders are irresponsible, and saying dont breed because there's loads in rescue I don't agree with

I am of the opinion you shouldn't breed unless your dog is of proven lines, or proven pedigree. Ie a proven show champ who has week in week out beaten dogs in the show ring, or that's consistently been involved in pack that's done the business at mushing rallies. Plus is health tested, and there should no breeding pre a stocked and full vetted waiting list.

can I ask a favour here??

Can you pm me who this Sunderland dog person/wannabe breeder is/where they are based?

reason I ask is I am abroad at the minute but my partner is home In Newcastle at the minute and she is sorting out a friend of a friends dog. Who was bought from a kennel in Sunderland who lets pups go at five-six weeks. Then doesn't give any help or support when the dogs turn out to have problems.

I had no intention of grilling you. To be perfectly honest I was offering up information that could be passed along the next time someone asked about it. This is a forum for learning, and ethical breeding can be a big part of the learning process. People have the idea of rescuing over buying shown here every day, but the ethical breeders are just as important. We stand with the rescue groups trying to get the puppymills and byb shut down, and we also work to improve the health of our breed through a small handful of dogs.

I don't believe anyone was attacking or "grilling" you. This is a forum, you asked a question and people stated their opinions and why. If everyone were to just answer with exactly what's asked "yes" "no" what is the point of a forum and what knowledge will be exchanged?

You could have passed on what the other members have said to the person that may have wanted to breed, so they could rethink their decision. You may have rejected her but would that stop her from seeking out another person to breed with hers? No one here was attacking you on a personal level or calling you out. Everyone here wants the best for the breed.

I tend to be a little more harsh when people ask us about ours and breeding. I say "No". No reason, no nothing. I dont know these people who come up to me on the street asking and dont care to have a conversation with people who basically have just looked at my dogs and ended up with $ signs in there eyes. When asked why my usual answer is "because Im not"

This is a rather interesting thread, I have never even thought about breeding but that is because I love rescuing soo much I love giving them a second chance for a forever home. :) But it is nice to hear other people's views on the subject :)

• 4 weeks later...

We have considered it but there is several things we would do first.

Ie vaccinate the dogs as required

full vet stud dog/see papers ie hip/eyes

eye test the bitch

hip score the bitch

put together a contract

Ensure all pups are micro chipped pre them going out and that new owner is aware that they can't change microchip until pup 1 year.

Potential owners visit me and vice versa

full waiting list plus maybe one two extra in case people drop out etc

etc etc

we have a charva next to ours who is planning to breed and can guarantee none of the above will of been done.

people see pound signs and forget about animal welfare, this lass I mentioned has a dog with blue eyes and wants another so she going to breed.