HuskyMom09

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Sweet Cart! :D We are going to a race event this weekend in Park city to benefit Arctic Rescues. Hope to see and meet some folks who enjoy mushing around Utah

Took the team out carting tonight now that Denali's back! It took a bit to get the whole team to work well together but once the worked out the kinks it was smooth riding from there out! 4 miles tonight and tired musher and pups now!

I bet! Do you run a four dog team?

Tonight I ran a 3 dog team, I will run 4 dogs in the race...I'm borrowing a 4th from my breeder/friend and will be receiving a 4th soon from her (an adult male) as well as buying a Gee/Haw trained lead dog from a well established musher. So excited! We're working hard to get 8-10 dogs trained this coming season.

Great photos! Is that Denali ,Dakota, and Juneau??

Hoping to start venturing into this sport in the near future. :D Thought maybe Cj could pull me around on my snowboard this winter a little bit...good or bad idea? LOL

Edited by Osinn11

Great photos! Is that Denali ,Dakota, and Juneau??

Hoping to start venturing into this sport in the near future. :D Thought maybe Cj could pull me around on my snowboard this winter a little bit...good or bad idea? LOL

It is! Denali in lead, Dakota and Juneau in wheel. I'm not sure a snowboard would be the safest idea since you are turned sideways on a board...you'd have to keep 1 foot out of the binding in case you need to catch yourself. I used to use cross-country skis and have them pull me, then I learned that was called Skijoring LOL

Thanks, I really need to remember a camera....the cell phone takes OK pics but I know a camera would be better.

yes you do lol love seeing pix of huskies at work i only run mine on the bike at the moment but hopefully getting a scooter soon lol xx

It is! Denali in lead, Dakota and Juneau in wheel. I'm not sure a snowboard would be the safest idea since you are turned sideways on a board...you'd have to keep 1 foot out of the binding in case you need to catch yourself. I used to use cross-country skis and have them pull me, then I learned that was called Skijoring LOL

All keep that in mind...Tried X-country skiing years ago...might have to try and find those old skis again! I have a feeling Cj will be a great "puller" Isn't common to have a female run on a team?

All keep that in mind...Tried X-country skiing years ago...might have to try and find those old skis again! I have a feeling Cj will be a great "puller" Isn't common to have a female run on a team?

I know teams that are more female than male, more male than female, even splits, etc. Gender doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it. I can see my team is for now already going to be male heavy. But that's just how it happened. Looks like I may be getting a trained leader soon and I am adding another male to my working/show kennel....we're going to be dog heavy for a while it seems

I love seeing your pics as well! It looks like so much fun!!

Like Osinn, I was considering getting Nikita into pulling. I'm not really sure how to get started though. How old do they need to be to start? (Not worried about Nikita, but we just got a new pup that would be ideal).

I love seeing your pics as well! It looks like so much fun!!

Like Osinn, I was considering getting Nikita into pulling. I'm not really sure how to get started though. How old do they need to be to start? (Not worried about Nikita, but we just got a new pup that would be ideal).

They shouldn't be pulling until they are 18 months, command training can start at any time though :)

They shouldn't be pulling until they are 18 months, command training can start at any time though :)

Thanks! I think once we get Loki settled in and get his basics down, we'll have to start working on that (with Nikita, of course!). This gives me something fun to look forward to! :)

What kind of advice can you offer as far as command training. I really have no idea where to begin or what to do. :D

I started mine while walking and using the commands while we walked...switched to walking in harness at about 15months and continued to build the commands, I'll warn you it was almost like starting over LOL. But have patience and practice often

Good to know. Is it better to use the more universal commands than your own? We currently walk Cj in a regular harness...Down the road shouls we start walking here in a "pulling" type harness?

We took Cj to an event up in Park City over the weekend with Bikes, Scooters, and Carts. It was very cool to see the dogs in action! Lots of Husky's and Mals and some pretty crazy carts! :D

Good to know. Is it better to use the more universal commands than your own? We currently walk Cj in a regular harness...Down the road shouls we start walking here in a "pulling" type harness?

We took Cj to an event up in Park City over the weekend with Bikes, Scooters, and Carts. It was very cool to see the dogs in action! Lots of Husky's and Mals and some pretty crazy carts! :D

You should use the universal commands so if you ever decide to add a trained dog to your crew at any point you don't have to retrain or confuse the dogs.