Never had a dog before and want a Husky in the next year or so... best beginner book?

Louisville15

I've always wanted a Husky and plan to get one within the next 2 years. Admittedly, I know little about dogs (I've had cats before) so I want to learn as much as possible about huskies before I get my own. Can anyone point me in the direction of some good books to read up on for general info? Thanks in advance!

Siberian Huskies For Dummies (seriously no lie- got the book as a gag gift one of the best reads I have had!)

Siberian Huskies- A New Owners Guide by Kathleen Kanzler (founder of Innisfree Kennels one of the most well known/respected Siberian kennels in the US)

The Siberian Husky by Lorie Long

Siberian Huskies a Complete Pet Owner's Manual from Barrons

The Essential Siberian Husky

These are all books I have collected and read through the years, any/all of these would be great starters!

First, I think it's great that you're doing research on dogs in general, and huskies and taking time before getting one. I am not an expert on this breed either, but I've had a few dogs.

Second, this is just my personal opinion, but I think you should educate yourself thoroughly before proceeding with an animal/breed that's best for you. There are a lot of naive people out there (not talking about you) that assume puppies come with all the knowledge of an adult. They don't know where to use the washroom, and what is or isn't appropriate for them to put in their mouths, and depending on the breed, they'll take their boredom out on anything. Dogs require a lot of patience, bonding, hard work, responsibility and a stable, if not decent, job.

I only say this because I've welcomed many dogs into my family since I was a child, so they are the only pet I'd ever consider having. But I never fully understood the extent of caring for one until recently when I got Jack - my first dog.

But that aside. If you're considering a husky, they generally do better with another dog or person for company if you're away.

Thank you for doing your research ahead of time! Many people just go out and get a dog on a whim, then it ends up in the pound because they didn't know anything about the breed (like: "I didn't know it would grow so big!" or "It sheds too much!")

I never had a dog before Suka (my husky). Before I got him, I did lots of research about huskies and dogs in general.

First off - are planning on getting one as a puppy or rescuing? Besides the obvious (rescuing would be giving a dog a second chance), a rescue dog might be easier to get as your first dog than if you were to get a puppy. Why?

Because most of them (if you get a rescue dog that is an adult) have already been:

- Housetrained/potty trained

- Know basic commands (sit, stay)

- Know basic manners (the humane society should have tested them for behavioural problems before putting them up for adoption)

- Most of them are already crate trained (except for rare cases, like when I got my boy). Crate-training is vital so they don't chew up your house when your at work!!

- They should be already spayed/neutered...so you won't have to pay money for the surgery.

- Most come with a year's worth of vaccinations, so you don't have to pay money for their shots for a year.

- My dog came with free pet insurance for 3 months

As for books, all of the ones recommended up there are good.

Do you want suggestions for books about general dog ownership as well?

I started off with Siberian huskies for dummies before I got Luka not to mention I joined this great forum which gave me loads of info! The book explained a lot of what I was in for. I really have no idea what I'd do without all the experienced people on here!

Congrats on looking to get a husky! They're the best breed (I'm a little biased) but they are A LOT of work! Welcome to the forum and ask anything you like!

Here's are some websites I found that have good information and general dog ownership:

http://www.dogplay.com/GettingDog/choosing.html

http://dogtime.com/consider-before-getting-dog-hsus.html

Generally, it is not recommended to get a husky as your first dog. Of course, it still is possible, but the learning curve is much steeper. (And I lucked out with adopting a lazy and well mannered husky!)

Congrats on determining to do your research before getting a husky! It will pay dividends. What I would suggest, however, is that you should get out and meet as many husky owners and huskies as possible before making your final decision to get one. The books mentioned are great, but no book can fully prepare you for the 24/7 reality of living with a husky. They will constantly surprise you (sometimes in a good way, more often the opposite) and second guessing them can become exhausting. Even after 22 years of research and 19 years of multiple husky ownership they still surprise and get the better of us sometimes. Two of our current pups are the most destructive we have ever had and are constantly creating new challenges for us.

So find some local owners, get to know them and visit them regularly to get a "feel" of what they are actually like to live with.

Good Luck

Mick

Siberian huskies for dummies gives a good insight

we contacted pre getting our first husky a couple of husky owners local kennels ie breeders, asked if we could meet them at a dog show and get advice. Some knocked us back as some breeders are abit cagey, two were dead cool let us visit them and meet there dogs/ask questions etc.

In the uk there is champdogs.co.uk I think it is I don't know if there's an American equivalent. Lets you search kc registered breeders has email addresses/contact details etc?

We also went and met some guys that going mushing in our local forrest they were all dead friendly gave a lot of good advice about do's don't's

PRaise is given here about your post, huskies are a breed that you need to research well. I went into the breed with eyes open.

I think I have seen it on here too there's a new owner husky guide isn't there guys???

Totally agree with all of the above comments. Although our Kodi is a Malamute we did some serious research before finally deciding if the breed was right for us. We originally wanted a Husky but the research we did on both breeds put Malamutes ahead. The time we spent doing this has paid off and we are so pleased with our choice of breed. I'm not saying that having a puppy that is very strong willed is a walk in the park but we both work very hard with him and it pays off in lots of small ways. Being part of this forum helps too there are some very experienced owners here who are only too happy to help.

Good luck with the research and keep us updated :)