For those who live in Wisconsin

Synphny

I have recently visited Wisconsin on a business trip and I am saddened by the fact that Wisconsin legislation has allowed the hunting of wolves.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/wisconsin-hunters-chance-wolf-161559760.html

I have heard from my client tout this legislation as a proper way to keep wolves in check and ensure the safety and civility of their town.

I am by no means an wolf expert, however being from the "hippie" state of the west I was told that I probably watch too many animal planet shows and knows nothing about living so close with wolves and what they are actually like.

I take no offense to that statement except I simply do not understand culling of a particular animal because we believe they are too many of them? I know there are many ranchers who had lost livestock because of them but is the bullet the best solution (granted it is the cheapest)?

My question beyond the solution statement is that I wish to get a idea from those who live in or near Wisconsin or any rural area with wolves, do you feel threaten enough to justify a culling?

A lot of the ranchers who endorse the hunting flat out refuse to consider any other solution. They say they have tried LGDs but usually they just pick up random farm dogs or untrained puppies rather than proven guardians dogs. A lot of them also get flock guardians and dont bother getting perimeter dogs as well.