What do you guys feed your sibes, what foods have you tried what worked what didn't

Kieferwolf

Hi guys me and my partner have just started showing our youngest sibe

one of the things I get asked a lot is what do I feed my sibe and I was just curious what people have the pooches on???

alot of show people recommended fish for dogs but didnt fancy it

we have tried all sorts our eldest girl eats anything with no problem, and our boy Is fine he is the same. but our youngest girl we have tried her on loads to get the right balance, she unfortunately doesn't have a strong stomach.

problems we have had was with our youngest girl it's taken months and trying her on all sorts too get her on something she has taken too.

She was on bakers puppy that's what she was weened on, I read up on it and found it wasn't the best quality food in the world so switched her to

Orijen puppy, logic was its good quality loads of good stuff in there no matter what amount we tried runs

We then tried royal canin same again loose stools and gas that would empty a room no matter what amount

We tried Simpsons premium same result run/horrendous gas

and finally we tried wainwright's from pets at home this stuff we have had good results with but money's tight so we have swapped them onto csj and our dogs love it

have three sibes and 40 quid bag from pets at home was feasible no more due to finances been tight

our sibes are part raw fed too, they get couple sardines each every other day and 100grams of ox heart every third day too

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my girls are fed raw had one on csj champ when she came from the breeder but changed her to raw after a couple of days lol xx

I would love to take ours fully raw but our freezer ain't the biggest we did kinda have our eldest on it in past now we have 3 dogs it would be too much

ours like csj we feed them the cp24/mixed with the hike on gives them everything they need. Couple sardine means they get all the fish oils they need

Edited by Kieferwolf

Kind of wandering myself here. :S I feed mine Blue Wilderness, and although I have no issues with it, I'm just wondering if its as good as it supposedly is? No digestive issues but Cloud's fur doesn't seem as healthy and soft plus his tear stains are more noticable, I'm not sure if that's due to him being 7 months and his adult fur coming in or if its the food. I don't see a lot of people feeding their huskies Blue Buffalo anyway so I was just wondering if there was anything else someone could recommend to me (I've got a husky and an american eskimo so I need something that'll work for both of them xD)

That can be a problem mobezilla some of the better brands don't always work or don't click with dogs digestion system

our sibes have all tried Origen our eldest girl took okay too it, but it did nothing coat wise for her, her coat reacted better to a cheaper food ie wainwright's/csj and her stools were harder on them too.

I'm currently feeding Taste of the Wild to my entire crew (11). I'm really pleased with the results, and no matter what we're doing with the dogs I don't really have to adjust drastic amounts to keep them in top condition. I add supplements specific for coat on my show dogs, it all depends on what you're wanting and if it's even realistic.

Prior to TOTW, we fed Wellness Core and were equally as pleased it was just the $10-$20 increase in the food in barely a month that really got to us. TOTW is the price we were paying for Core and a larger bag. I do feel the coats on the dogs have improved since the switch.

Prior to Core we tried Merrick, and again pleased until one of my males started peeing blood. Emergency vetting, ultra sounds, blood work...found the food had made his urine too basic and his bladder had filled with crystals. That food did not work for us, but I have heard they have changed the formula since we were on it.

Prior to Merrick we were feeding Purina Performance as recommended by our breed mentor. After research I discovered there were better choices out there for us.

Edited by HuskyMom09

Luna won't eat just biscuits and is very sensitive to artificial colours & flavourings (sends her hyper!!) So she has Harrington's complete dog biscuits (approx £8 for a 5kg bag in sainsburys) and a 1/4 tray of Wainwrights Tray Food per meal. This seems to work well for her and the mixture of meat & biscuits keeps her happy without breaking the bank. Wainwrights alone would cost us a fortune with the amounts they recommend feeding!

I do know I'm feeding two complete foods at the same time but she won't eat large quantities so the nutrients from both complete foods keep her weight stable (her bowl looks a bit sad every mealtime though...went out and bought a massive china one before realising huskies don't eat big meals!!)

I might try taste of the wild, one of my friends switched her girls on it and she said only one seems picky about it. When I first got Cloud his coat was really shiny and soft, and his tear stains were barely noticable. This might attribute to three things: One, he was on Eukanuba. Two, he still had four month puppy fur. Three, the place I got him from might've used supplements to make it that way. So when I switched him over to Blue, I thought the food wasn't good for him as his coat got rougher and his tear-stains were bigger, but it might just be from him losing his puppy fur, and not taking supplements for the tear-stains or anything. Yet I was still worried that I didn't see a lot of people feeding Blue Buffalo so it concerned me, although Yuki seems to be doing great on it! XD

I might try taste of the wild, one of my friends switched her girls on it and she said only one seems picky about it. When I first got Cloud his coat was really shiny and soft, and his tear stains were barely noticable. This might attribute to three things: One, he was on Eukanuba. Two, he still had four month puppy fur. Three, the place I got him from might've used supplements to make it that way. So when I switched him over to Blue, I thought the food wasn't good for him as his coat got rougher and his tear-stains were bigger, but it might just be from him losing his puppy fur, and not taking supplements for the tear-stains or anything. Yet I was still worried that I didn't see a lot of people feeding Blue Buffalo so it concerned me, although Yuki seems to be doing great on it! XD

There will be a drastic difference in feel and texture of the coat from puppy to adult. Siberian's should have a fairly coarse coat. Tear staining can also be caused by minerals and chemicals in drinking water- Just some informational items :) We've been very happy with TOTW, I have a red that has tear stains but I have found with her it's environmental allergy related as it's far worse in the spring than any other time of the year.

Suka's on Taste of the Wild. He's tried Merrick and Iams, but he hated both of them so I switched to TOTW.

I'm not in the UK so I'm not familiar with any of those brands, but have you tried a grain-free kibble? (TOTW is grain free). Grain tends to not agree well with husky stomachs.

Wilderness is grain-free as well, here are the ingredients. If permission allows, I can give you guys a link to it, or just search Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy Food. Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Potato Starch, Peas, Flaxseed (source of Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids), Natural Chicken Flavor, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Dried Egg, Tomato Pomace (source of Lycopene), Potatoes, Fish Oil (source of DHA-Docosahexaenoic Acid), Alfalfa Meal, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries, Cranberries, Barley Grass, Dried Parsley, Dried Kelp, Taurine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, L-Carnitine, L-Lysine, Turmeric, Oil of Rosemary, Beta Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Choline Chloride, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Salt, Caramel, Potassium Chloride, Dried Yeast (source of Saccharomyces cerevisiae), Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.

i had the exact opposite issue of most. Luka didn't do well on a grain-free diet.

I had him on Taste of the Wild, and i had to cut his portion size down extremely low to prevent runs and then he wound up underweight. I then switched to Fromms (which only has rice and oatmeal) and he's done much better. Fromm's offers a grain free food for adults so once we get done with puppy food we will probably try the switch again. As for his coat, it's super soft and healthy. He's still very skinny but i think that's just Luka right now.

I would love to have him on Orijen, it's just SO expensive.

I feed my eldest dog who is an american eskimo/basset/chow/beauceron mix TOTW's new flavor they just turned out. So far, I've had the best results with that food than any other with her. Plus, she loves it so I don't have to force her to eat. We tried Merrick with her, but after looking at the ingredients in it, I'm not too fond of classic merrick.

With Juno, I feed her Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch, but it smells rank, so I'm probably going to change soon to either Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural, Dr. Tim's Kinesis grain free, or Fromm. I like all three, but it really just depends on what I'm in the mood to try for her, as I love to rotate foods.

Blue buffalo is an okay food, but for that price, you could do a lot better

And yea, Orijen is rediculously expensive, but then again, so is wellness core. Core is actually more expensive when it comes to price per lb, and it's not even good quality. I could understand paying that much for Orijen, but not for a large chain pet-food store brand.

Panda was on Acana but i'm currently in the middle of transitioning him onto ToTW, as it seems Acana had a slight formula change and Panda doesn't stomach it as well anymore.

Panda is also on a partial raw, one meal kibble the other raw or a whole day raw etc.

I wanted to try Fromms as well but as panda is still growing at 10 months i thought he would benefit from a higher protein kibble, until he's a bit older.

And yea, Orijen is rediculously expensive, but then again, so is wellness core. Core is actually more expensive when it comes to price per lb, and it's not even good quality. I could understand paying that much for Orijen, but not for a large chain pet-food store brand.

I haven't even looked at Core's pricing, i've just never really considered it. My top choices of food would be Orijen, TOTW, and Fromms. Luka's done great on Fromms, price isn't bad, a little more expensive than TOTW but affordable by all means.

yea Fromm is a pretty awesome company. It's really hard to beat over 100 years and no recalls. What I don't quite like about the fromm, is the pieces in the grain free line are really tiny, like they're made for itty-bitty dogs. It worries me, because Juno doens't chew her food unless the pieces are big. So really, she just inhales it.

I haven't even looked at Core's pricing, i've just never really considered it. My top choices of food would be Orijen, TOTW, and Fromms. Luka's done great on Fromms, price isn't bad, a little more expensive than TOTW but affordable by all means.

Which fromms recipe are you currently using if you don't mind me asking. I'm thinking about switching my yorkie to this brand.

Weird where i live ToTW is more expensive lol, although the difference isnt large, a few bucks.

yea Fromm is a pretty awesome company. It's really hard to beat over 100 years and no recalls. What I don't quite like about the fromm, is the pieces in the grain free line are really tiny, like they're made for itty-bitty dogs. It worries me, because Juno doens't chew her food unless the pieces are big. So really, she just inhales it.

pieces that come in our bag are the same size as TOTW was.

Which fromms recipe are you currently using if you don't mind me asking. I'm thinking about switching my yorkie to this brand.

Weird where i live ToTW is more expensive lol, although the difference isnt large, a few bucks.

that is interesting! I feed Luka Large Breed Puppy Gold. They also offer Small Breed Adult/Puppy Gold which would be good for a yorkie. The gold line has some grain but it's not necessarily bad for them, Luka couldn't handle straight protein.

However, I want to switch him to Fromms Grain-Free Salmon Tunalini or Fromms Grain-Free Seafood Melody when he gets bigger.

We feed Keeto on raw, he doesn't handle kibble very well (loose stools) & Jersey, George & Maia are on kibble at the moment. They will all be going onto raw now we've just got the Ebay bargain of the century of a tall AEG freezer for £1.04 yes you've read that right £1.04 :yahoo: