Switching to adult food (TOTW)

Jay

So Nikko is at the age where I am about ready to switch him to adult food. He will be a year old next month and I have a few weeks worth of his puppy food before I switch him over from the Wellness he is currently on.

I am going to be switching to Taste of the Wild. My 4 month old puppy is already on TOTW puppy formula. My question is if I get the adult formula, should I just switch the 4 month old over to the adult food too? I know it is supposed to be “all life stagesâ€, but looking at the guarantee analysis there is a difference, for example Protein is 28% puppy, and 32% adult; fat is 17% puppy and 18% adult; Fiber is 5% puppy 3% adult.

I want to find a way to do as few changes as possible yet get them both on the same food.

What's the size of the kibble of the adult formula. I know the puppy formula is small so easily edible by the 4 month pup. Did Yukon change teeth yet? I wouldn't really believe the all stages because...I wouldn't although in the wild the pups eat meat from the moment their mother doesn't give milk. But still it's kibble and is different from raw. I'm lost and confused.:arghh:

I'd keep Yukon to the puppy formula. Switch Nikko to new kibble slowly so you don't have leftovers or give it to someone or use as treats.

Yukon’s puppy teeth are still in, but he has lost a couple of them. I am not sure what size kibble that regular TOTW formula is, but I don’t think he would have an issue digesting it. I was mainly concerned that by switching him to the regular food at 4 months old would be an issue. If he would not be getting certain nutrients then I have no issue keeping him on the puppy formula.

So if I do keep him on puppy food, is there any harm keeping Nikko on puppy food for a bit longer? I’d like to keep them on the same food, so if Nikko is on the puppy formula until he is like 18 months old, do you think that would be an issue?

I go to the vet Friday for Yukon’s neuter so I will ask her too.

TOTW kibble sizes are smaller than some of what's on the market, the adult is just about equal to the Wellness Puppy I was feeding my girls. With that being said, these are the first pups I've ever had on puppy food. I kept Denali on the all-life-stages food he was on when I got him, switched him to TOTW slowly no issue. The only puppy we had that didn't do well on All Life Stages was a Labrador but she had other health complications that I feel contributed. My thought is give it a try to put them both on the All Life Stages formula and see how they do. You can always soak the food if puppy has any difficulty chowing down.

I don't see a problem with him chowing down the slightly larger kibble sizes, if the all life stage TOTW kibble is the same size as Wellness then that won't be a problem at all, because Yukon used to be on Wellness puppy before TOTW.

My main concern was that Yukon would be missing out on any nutritional differences between TOTW all life stage and puppy formula.

Seems the consensus is that TOTW regular formula would be just fine for any age.

• 2 weeks later...

I started Ryn with a mix of puppy kibble (that her breeder had her on) and TOTW. I fed her this mix, gradually eliminating the puppy kibble, over the next year. That way, she was sure to get the extra nutrients from the puppy, while still transitioning to totw and a wellness core mix.

Even today at 2 yrs and 3 mo old, she gets a mix - Wellness Core (1/3) to 2/3 TOTW. I've done this mix of kibble as we sometimes have difficulty getting TOTW and this way her sensitive tummy, isn't quite so sensitive if I can't get my hands on her regular food.