Our first season :/

Leanne7

Keep her away from all other dogs, even females as they might fight.

Make sure she is supervised at all times - don't let her go into the backyard without you right there with her...so if a male dog jumps/digs the fence you can separate the two and bring her inside.

Treat her as normal with yourself, clean up the mess, but be careful when around other dogs. If possible, don't take her on walks while she bleeding and while she's still fertile. This will drive all dogs on the block crazy, and any strays will coming running from miles away!

Get season pants!! We had them at camp not sure if you saw the crazy white dog with muddy knickers on lol. Remember her instinct is to mate and she will try at all cost to escape to find a mate so just be extra careful with open doors etc. she might also get a bit moody / off, that's normal - just think of it like we have PMT lol. Other than that just treat her as normal and maybe get a throw for the sofa/ bed if she is normally allowed to go on them (saves scrubbing the fabrics lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Treat her as normal be careful walking her don't take her anywhere there could be offlead dogs , a season can last up2 a month (I always gave skyla a month to be safe) usually the 2nd to 3rd week in is their most receptive bleeding can stop at this time so don't assume it's over this is when u need to watch her the most they can try to escape to find a mate n u might find she's irritable and wants to be left alone or she could become really clingy and she might go off her food too

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

A month. Gee I never realised it was that long. And Nanook has had like 3 seasons now lol - how much attention do I pay?

Not all dogs are the same tho so whilst some might have a season a month long others will have shorter or even longer seasons

Skye started her season on the 11th Sept and stopped bleeding on the 7th Oct, i then bathed her on the 11th and as she had been due her flea treatment a few days earlier i left that til after she was bathed and fully dried. I kept her inside all the time, as she was allowed on sofas, we put one of her beds on sofa between us (her beds were just a double duvet with cover cut up into 4 and sewed along the edges) they got very stained but meant we could wash them as needed with having the 4 of them, she always had one in her crate so kept one in there, one on sofa. We couldnt get the pants for dogs til a week in so we just used value nappies from work cut a whole in for the tail and they worked perfectly and fitted ok but she never had them on when in her crate. We had antibacterial floor wipes for the kitchen floor when they were the odd drops of blood from when we were taking her in and out for the toilet they were also used to wipe the floor of the crate everytime we changed the beds which was every morning when she was let out of it. I also stocked up on the bob martin rub down wipes (large) which were used alot to make sure she was clean(especially when first coming out of crate), we allowed her to clean herself at times throughout the day aswell. The bob martin stain and odour remover spray is fab, worked on the spots of blood on the carpet, however will warn you if you do chose to use it we have white patches on our beige carpet now lol. Her first walk wasnt til the saturday just gone. She got playtime outside in the yard every day when it wasnt pouring down (a lil rain i dont mind - full on down pour i dont like lol) she also did a lot of running about chasing things in the house when she wanted, but luckily most of the time chose to lay down and sleep. The week before she had gone from clingy to not wanting any attention hardly, the day before she started bleeding she became clingy again, she had her odd days when she didnt want to be near us but that was to be expected. We had started given her meals in a kong wobbler a few weeks before so she got to bat that about with her paws so that also helped give her something to do every day.

Our girl took four weeks too in her first season she spotted and bleed for about three weeks it tapered off in week 4 and she was quite swollen till end week 4

we started walking our girl late at night, our boy who is neutered we kept away from her on his own as both of our ladies when they have came into season become moody ladies.

I wouldn't really do anything different bar give your girl more tlc our girls are always more clingy in season

Ah tnx Nix maybe I'm not totally crap then lol

I remember something gigi told me a while back that dogs can't read so they dont know what books etc say ;-) whilst books will say a season lasts 4 months a dog will do what it likes , if u know what I mean like us for example , people say woman's periods last around 7 days but some people have longer or shorter periods , same for dogs :-)

Bindi is in season now and apart from being a little bit moody at times and a lot more clingy to Di...she is just fine very clean..she cleans herself and all the spots she might leave behind. And if she misses any we still have hoover Alpha to help her...no aggression towards Alpha just other dogs any and all male or female lol...I do not change anything in the routine as far as walking or any thing.. Dogs that are offlead I just shout at the owner to keep them away....

Bindi's lasts normally 3 weeks exactly....