spaying

Leyka&Diva

Ive booked Leyka into the vets on monday morning for a pre op check and to discuss having her spayed shes currently just over 6 months old.I thought get it done while i have the money to as i dont ever plan on breeding her so dont she any reason to keep her entire

has any one had a female spayed this young ?

did it affect there behaviour, growth etc?

Sorry we've never owned a girly dog before we've always had boys. We did read somewhere that having them neutered early can sometimes affect their growth but I've known people say that this doesn't matter. Could your vet not give you a heads up before making the final decision? Sorry couldn't help more :(

Sorry we've never owned a girly dog before we've always had boys. We did read somewhere that having them neutered early can sometimes affect their growth but I've known people say that this doesn't matter. Could your vet not give you a heads up before making the final decision? Sorry couldn't help more :(

yes im sure vet will give me the ins and outs of it all monday when i see her just want to see about others experiances ive always had girl dogs but never had one neutered this young as was always told to let them have a season first

Bear was spayed at 7 months and although she is very big (she's a cross and was always going to be a big girl!), she is not lanky looking at all, which can be an issue with younger spays. This is because it's the hormones that tell the growth plates to close and stop growing, they do close eventually anyway. Bear has no behavioural issues. She's currently 15 months old so not an adult quite yet!

We had Micah spayed at 6 months. Everything went well, and I can honestly say there were no adverse effects at all. It is the norm to spay/neuter at 6 months here. We never noticed any behavioural changes in either her, or Ozzy who was neutered at the same time.

thanks for all the replies the vet did say she would see if she felt leyka was ready to be spayed so will see what she says on monday x

I spayed Jelly already and she's 7 months now I think she was spayed around 4-5 months somewhere in there and she seems to be fine.

I feel like she's a bit heavy though (she's over the standard weight already) but I'm hoping it'll go away as she grows since she doesn't seem to grow proportional lol. Stubby legs and her head looks small compared to her body ;P not sure if that's from the spay or she's just an odd pup :P.

I spayed Jelly already and she's 7 months now I think she was spayed around 4-5 months somewhere in there and she seems to be fine.

I feel like she's a bit heavy though (she's over the standard weight already) but I'm hoping it'll go away as she grows since she doesn't seem to grow proportional lol. Stubby legs and her head looks small compared to her body ;P not sure if that's from the spay or she's just an odd pup :P.

Stubby legs lol that sounds like my girl what makes her look smaller though is she's so fluffy lol

They can put weight on after being spayed

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

They can put weight on after being spayed

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

I thought that was a myth? http://www.cesarsway.com/tips/basics/spay-and-neuter-myths

I don't know if it's true or not -- but if it is really true will she lose it? Her parents are within the breed standard so technically she would be in the standard as well (I'm not saying because her parents are, she is, I was just told she should be) but she feels a little over 50 lbs now and I was just hoping she'd eventually lose the "baby fat" because her freaking cheeks are like chipmunks. Very squishy :o

I thought that was a myth? http://www.cesarsway.com/tips/basics/spay-and-neuter-myths

I don't know if it's true or not -- but if it is really true will she lose it? Her parents are within the breed standard so technically she would be in the standard as well (I'm not saying because her parents are, she is, I was just told she should be) but she feels a little over 50 lbs now and I was just hoping she'd eventually lose the "baby fat" because her freaking cheeks are like chipmunks. Very squishy :o

It's definitely not a myth as far as females are concerned. All our females but two were spayed as adults, and they have all put weight on since spaying. They get the same exercise and same amount of food as pre-spaying, but compared with the boys, they are all getting a bit chunky and are in need of a diet.

Mick

Kira piled on the weight! same food (and amount) and same exercise. I miss her lovely shape :(

Shes been on a diet for a good 6-9 months and im now seeing some weight loss. But i wish I hadnt had her spayed :(

Keyu wont be spayed unless necessary (i.e she gets an infection)

It's definitely not a myth as far as females are concerned. All our females but two were spayed as adults, and they have all put weight on since spaying. They get the same exercise and same amount of food as pre-spaying, but compared with the boys, they are all getting a bit chunky and are in need of a diet.

Mick

So I should put mine on a diet if I want her to lose weight?

I was trying to get her to be lean. She doesn't look chunky, her body still forms the upward curve under her abdomen, poo. My doggy is chubby ):