Breeding

HuskyGuerl

My question is what are the chances of getting a red and white from my red and white female and black and white male..the males father is all white and mother black and white..the female idk her parents..remind you this is just a question im just wondering what the probability is.. all my pups sold come back to me no matter how old they are just whenever the owner no longer wants them they do sign a contract on it so im not irresponsible..please no negative comments...AGAIN JUST WONDERING

Well do you show or work your dogs? Do they have their hips and eyes tested? Are they purebred? meaning are they registered and do they have a pedigree? Do you have somebody who can be your mentor who has been responsibly breeding for years? Does the breeder you got them from know that you planned on breeding them? If you answered no to any of those questions don't breed. But as for color you should end up with red if you have a red parent its a recessive gene and it starts getting complicated with percentages haha

The breeder I got Yuki from has a red and white female that has always thrown only white puppies, its really weird xD Yuki's father actually has a lot of red and white in his lineage that I saw on her pedigree so I'm always checking back at the breeders to see what the results are, I'm just waiting for him to throw that one red pup :P

With red being recessive, and there being so many different coloured close relatives, I would think the chances of getting even one red pup would be quite low depending on litter size. Though I'm not clued in on my husky genetics. Got any mouse breeding questions? :lolman:

all my pups sold come back to me no matter how old they are just whenever the owner no longer wants them

This is a responsible gesture, however if all your pups come back to you I would think you're perhaps not finding the best homes - no one you home your pups to should ever 'no longer want them'. What an appalling puppy owner to feel that way after any period of time :( As a breeder you should be able to suss these people out so you DON'T home to them.

My breeders have had a various results. Ember (the sire to my Denali is Red), Tiko (Ember's Sire is Red), Drifter (Tiko's Sire is Black but his mother is Red)- Denali's litter was 5 grey/whites, the next Ember litter had 1 Dark Red, the next Ember litter had 3 dark reds and 1 light red. Tiko's first litter produced this year all 4 red pups, the one after that had 1 dark red (my Enya), 1 medium red, and 1 light red. It's really a toss up. To breed specifically for one color is not a reason to be breeding.

Well do you show or work your dogs? Do they have their hips and eyes tested? Are they purebred? meaning are they registered and do they have a pedigree? Do you have somebody who can be your mentor who has been responsibly breeding for years? Does the breeder you got them from know that you planned on breeding them? If you answered no to any of those questions don't breed. [...]

Although I completely agree with your message, this is not what the OP asked for. Please don't let Husky Owners become a forum where, if someone uses the word 'breeding' in the title or post, everyone suddenly stops helping and keeps posting the same message all over again. We're here to help others with their question, not to slate them for asking a question that relates to breeding.

Edited by BlueWolf

Actually I liked the question as I like the miss match that genetics brings about ... the question of "What are the odds that ...?" is really a theoretical question. But I do have to echo [MENTION=2355]BlueWolf[/MENTION].

<< remainder of message deleted since I can't diplomatically say what I'm thinking >>

Although I completely agree with your message, this is not what the OP asked for. Please don't let Husky Owners because a forum where, if someone uses the word 'breeding' in the title or post, everyone suddenly stops helping and keeps posting the same message all over again. We're here to help others with their question, not to slate them for asking a question that relates to breeding.

These are serious questions people need to be asking themselves if they are considering breeding. I wasn't being mean or trying to start anything I think its an important point people should be thinking about. I did answer the question as well.

[MENTION=8679]Mobezilla[/MENTION] oh wow that is weird lol..we had a litter with her not to long ago but all she threw was 7 black and white and one pure white..just wondering if a red and white would every pop up IF I WERE to bred her again..lol [MENTION=2580]Hy'Shqa[/MENTION] none of our pups have come back since we have been breeding..we routinley check on them (pop up checks) to be sure the care is provided..and before we even allow them to go home we make sure they have a standarized running area, the person has time to love on them and give them plenty of exercise..we also sign an agreement on paying the cost for spay or neuter when they get off that age that is a biggie on us...and lol on the mouse breeding :) [MENTION=6615]HuskyMom09[/MENTION] WE ARE NOT BREEDING FOR A SPECIFIC COLOR we love every color shape and size just was a question if it was possible because I had people asking me if their pups coats would change to that and i didnt know for sure.. [MENTION=2355]BlueWolf[/MENTION] [MENTION=5355]Al Jones[/MENTION] thank you for that clearing..and i didnt take any of it hurtful i like everyones opinion just had me stumped on that from tons of people asking me who has older pups of ours from our old female because i wasnt sure on the odds of it

@Mobezilla oh wow that is weird lol..we had a litter with her not to long ago but all she threw was 7 black and white and one pure white..just wondering if a red and white would every pop up IF I WERE to bred her again..lol @Hy'Shqa none of our pups have come back since we have been breeding..we routinley check on them (pop up checks) to be sure the care is provided..and before we even allow them to go home we make sure they have a standarized running area, the person has time to love on them and give them plenty of exercise..we also sign an agreement on paying the cost for spay or neuter when they get off that age that is a biggie on us...and lol on the mouse breeding :) @HuskyMom09 WE ARE NOT BREEDING FOR A SPECIFIC COLOR we love every color shape and size just was a question if it was possible because I had people asking me if their pups coats would change to that and i didnt know for sure.. @BlueWolf @Al Jones thank you for that clearing..and i didnt take any of it hurtful i like everyones opinion just had me stumped on that from tons of people asking me who has older pups of ours from our old female because i wasnt sure on the odds of it

I'm glad you didn't take offense :) You should be breeding for conformation as set by the Kennel Club standard not just for whatever we need to keep our ancient breed like they are supposed to be :). Anyways :P I hope this helps? I'm bad with math lol:

Marius came from a litter or 3 all boys, one red, one agouti and one grey. Marius' father was agouti and his mother was red. His mothers parents were silver and a black phase agouti. His fathers parents were agouti and black.

So if I bred Marius to a red I would have a 50% chance of each puppy being red, If i bred him to a black that was a red carrier (red parents) I would have a 50% chance of puppies being red carriers and a 25% chance of them being red.

Edited by Michelle Melsom

Marius came from a litter or 3 all boys, one red, one agouti and one grey. Marius' father was agouti and his mother was red. His mothers parents were silver and a black phase agouti. His fathers parents were agouti and black.

So if I bred Marius to a red I would have a 50% chance of each puppy being red, If i bred him to a black that was a red carrier (red parents) I would have a 50% chance of puppies being red carriers and a 25% chance of them being red.

That sounds right, but I'm too lazy to do punnett squares to verify. lol

If it helps, Juno's mother was a red and white, while her father was a silver and white. Juno's grandfather was red and white, while her grandmother was silver and white. Out of four puppies, not one of them was red. She may get lucky with the next litter though

Without knowing Juno's exact genotype (I know she's red ... but what other colour is in her genes that she's carrying), I can't do the punnett squares correctly.

Regardless, I think red is a recessive trait...so at best your chances of getting a red puppy is very low.

Without knowing Juno's exact genotype (I know she's red ... but what other colour is in her genes that she's carrying), I can't do the punnett squares correctly.

Regardless, I think red is a recessive trait...so at best your chances of getting a red puppy is very low.

If she's red, her genotype is "rr". If she were bred to a male that carried the red gene, but was not himself red, half of the puppies theoretically would be red. Red bred to red will always produce red - unless there's another gene present which masks the red color, in which case you'll get white with liver nose, lips, and eye rims.