Jelly eats a lot of things she shouldn't D:

Tatipu

Before I go back to studying (being bad right now, I know ;-; BUT IT'S FRIDAY D:) ,

I needed to ask about Jelly D: .

So if I haven't said it before she eats a lot of things she's not supposed to.

If it's a piece of string, she'll eat it. Paper, she'll eat it. She chews bits off her toys and I believe she ate those too.

Which is why I'm super careful when she's playing with a small toy because I'm worried she'll eat it, it'll get caught, then I have to pay $409385034 to get it removed and worry about her everytime she gets near small objects x_o.

How do you stop them from eating things they shouldn't? I mean she ate a nail when she was very young and we got that removed and my vet said that I might have to muzzle her when she's outside so she can't eat anything. o-o

Is that my only option?

I'm not talking about the destructive husky when they're bored, I just dislike that she eats things she shouldn't and I don't know how to stop her from doing it.

A list of things she eats that I don't think are good for her:

1. Towels (she tears them up and eats them) -- she does end up throwing them up or pooping them out but I didn't even know she ate them until I saw it in her poop...

2. Paper towels

3. small pieces of ANYTHING. (she eats her own fur off the ground, bristle from brooms, socks)

And most of all, anything at all IF I'm trying to get if back from her.

For example, at the dog park yesterday, there was this small toy made out of a hankerchief? (not sure but it was the size of a small fist , my hands are small so small fist) and Jelly picked it up and started playing as a normal dog would, shake it around, run around with it.

Well, the other dogs noticed and decided to join in... Jelly eats things when she's being chased.

So as they were chasing her I saw it disappear from hanging outside of her mouth to being almost in her mouth completely with a little sticking out (the hankerchief part) so I grabbed her (I can catch her easily when other dogs are chasing her because she runs under my table) and took it out of her mouth.

I google'd this online but I didn't find anything except for someone's dog who ate everything literally which may have had a behavior problem or something.

So, yeah. I don't know how to fix this because Jelly doesn't listen to me once she has something she likes x_o. So I couldn't exactly tell her drop it because she probably wouldn't listen to me ): . So yeah, I don't think the drop it command works when she's excited (unless you guys know how to get your husky to listen to you when they're excited D: ?)

You have literally just described Freya word-for-word :P Freya has largely grown out of this (she still does it, but looking back at how she used to be she's nowhere near as bad now, but that just goes to show just how bad she was as she's still bad now!!) so with Jelly being about 7 months old you can expect some of this to naturally stop by itself. I ended up turning to muzzling Freya when I took her out as it was so much easier and that worked out fine. The first night I took her out with it on in fact she tried to eat a massive chocolate bar off the floor so I was lucky she was wearing it!! Round the house I have just had to keep things away from her if I know it'd be really bad for her, but I've also let her get away with some things just to satisfy her curiosity, for example if she has a tennis ball and she's chewing it up I know she'll eat the bits she breaks off eventually. I'll let her chew it and shred it but I'll be picking up the pieces as she's doing it so she doesn't eat any of it but she's still getting to play with it. Now I can leave her with a tennis ball and she'll chew it to bits but doesn't really eat it. Socks are still an issue though! So I've also worked on a strong 'drop' command so whenever I ask her to drop a sock she gets all excited because she knows she's getting a treat :)

Ghost does it too but not to that extent. Whenever I see him tearing a toy and that he's chewing the cloth like it's a chewing gum I tell him to spit it out (i.e. bleh). Most times he spits it but sometimes he tries to get away from me, or pretends like there's nothing in his mouth. You'll just have to "eagle" (keep an eye on) her. Keep towels and the stuff from her. But with toys, I know it's impossible. So often as I see him eating parts I tell him no but else, he's living so far. :)

I usually chase Ghost outside when he steals a toy, last time he did, he was kind enough to leave it in a lake, just close enough for someone to hold my hand so I don't fall in it. But he's not the only one to steal outside so... :D Getting attention? I sometimes get it saying want a treat or sth but sometimes he just doesn't care for it enough to take his eyes off some other dog.

Luka does this bad. I woke up yesterday to notice that half of a pillow case was missing. I found it the next day in his poop... Yup.

I asked our trainer because Luka will swallow something whole if he thinks you'll take it and he said use treats! Ill let you know how it works. He said approach him calmly and offer a treat and he should drop it for the treat.

For the meantime I keep socks and underwear AWAY from him.

[MENTION=7406]LittleLuka[/MENTION]:

Yeah, I find a lot of things in Jelly's poo as well. It's really disgusting lol. But I have tried to carry treats around with me (but sometimes I forget) so she eats it before I catch up to her.

I'm just worried that one of these days she's going to eat something harmful and I'm going to get worried :P.

I thought Jelly stopped with the underwear/sock thing (my dad smacked her when she took his last sock, not hard but she stayed away from socks for a few weeks) but I saw her yesterday with someone's underwear so lol, guess not.