Sick dog urgent help

In the last half an hour Nanooks face has really puffed out. Her eye is really swollen and her muzzle. She has a small "spot" on her nose that's been there a couple of days. I don't know if its connected or not. She hasn't eaten much today and seems subdued. I didn't think anything off it because she is in season but then I noticed her face. Any help please. Should we call the vets?

[ATTACH]62372[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]62373[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]62375[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]62374[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]62377[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]62378[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]62376[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do u think she could have been bitten / stung? I can't remember what people take for this thing but u can give her one ov those if u know what I'm on about lol

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

i was going to say the same and if so a antihistamine tablet will be needed

Initial reaction ... she's been bit by something - bee, wasp, spider, snake - if she's breathing normally then give her an adult strength benadryl ( that's Diphenhydramine - an antihistamine ) that should act within 1/2 hour. The purpose is to reduce swelling until you can get her to a vet during reasonable hours.

if she's not breathing normally - heavy panting, etc forget the benadryl and get her to a vet. And while I realize it's the middle of the night where you are if she's having trouble breathing it's way better to be safe!

Response to your last question, diphenhydramine in normal quantities is not harmful. It does nothing more, in dogs, than reduce swelling. One human adult capsule will be good for up to a 50 lb dog.

Initial reaction ... she's been bit by something - bee, wasp, spider, snake - if she's breathing normally then give her an adult strength benadryl ( that's Diphenhydramine - an antihistamine ) that should act within 1/2 hour. The purpose is to reduce swelling until you can get her to a vet during reasonable hours.

if she's not breathing normally - heavy panting, etc forget the benadryl and get her to a vet. And while I realize it's the middle of the night where you are if she's having trouble breathing it's way better to be safe!

She's not struggling at the moment with her breathing but the swelling seems to be getting worse. I'll try the antihistamine and see how we go with that

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

NO! Diphenhydramine is a general antihistamine - it's used in both humans and dogs (and some large cats) to reduce swelling and increase blood flow.

phenylephrine hydrochloride is a nasal decongestant - and a quick look says that it may be used in short nosed dogs (pugs, etc) for decongestant purposes but it would not serve the purpose that the antihistamine is recommended. Doing a little more looking - avoid the phenylephrine, it's been shown to cause arrythmia (irregular heartbeat) in dogs.

If she's doing okay, a quick trip to the pharmacy ( if you're lucky enough to have one open ) or an all night store, might be easier. Most all night stores will have Benadryl (or equivalent) on the shelf. You want Benadryl not Benadryl D or any of the Benadryl Plus products.

If you can find it, something with nothing but diphenhydramine is best. Some OTC medications have decongestant medications included (the 'D' in Benadryl D). While it shouldn't be a problem it's best not to have the additional medicines if you can avoid them. BTW a 25mg cap should be about right for your girl.

Edited by Al Jones

I figured I'd give you the pertinent answer first then go on to explain.

40 miles away ... given that, I'd watch her for a couple of hours, if she's recently been bitten ( and bug bites normally react quickly ) then it should subside in short order as well. If it gets worse then call your vet and see what he has to say.

Awh no. This happened to my sisters Aussie. She had her outside and when she let her in her muzzle and face was so swollen. She had ended up rushing her to the vet and it turned out to be a spider bite or a bee. They gave her some allergy meds and told my sister to give her Benadryl for a few days.

I'd say try to get her to the vet in the morning :( Poor girl.

Meeka was just stung by a yellow jacket and her lips swelled up WAY worse, it even affected her eyes not being fully open, your dogs not having an allergic reaction so it's nothing to panic, just make sure if she can still drink water eat etc and I'd take her in for a checkup just to be sure

Polee was stung by a wasp earlier this year and her muzzle was swollen with several spots in it

Took her to vets who gave her an injection for the swelling which had gone within 48 hours

The spots and fur loss took longer to heal as there was a chance that the fur may not have grown back

Note Polee had no problems breathing or drinking

Hope shes feeling better soon