Sick doggy :(

HuskyMom09

A couple weeks ago my husband and I left for Utah for a week, the longest we have both been away from the pack. Our pet sitter calls late in the week to tell us Timber has been slow to eat his food and that he was seeming depressed. They moved him into our empty kennel to give him the opportunity to eat his food in peace when he wanted. He had normal stools, just slow eating. We all chalked it up to missing us.

When we got home, the first night he was still a little slow to eat, but within a couple of days was his normal happy eating self. Depression seemed to fit. Nothing more to worry about right?

Then today I come home to find blood on his front paws. Find nothing on him or any of the dogs to indicate injury so look in the mouth. There's some blood, looks like it might be from over chewing, ok that seems plausible. Go to feed later tonight and once again Timber is off his food. This time he seems really lethargic and is breathing heavier than normal. His breath sounds sound junky, so I decide to bring him inside for the night to keep a better eye on him. His breathing continues to be heavier than normal, somewhat expected being inside where it's warm....he's a cold climate dog after all. Then he started coughing and out came bright red blood. FREAK OUT momma!

Called every mobile vet in the area with ZERO response, call my friend who is a vet tech and she says it sounds like pneumonia. With the erratic sudden temperature changes and his older age it fits....but man am I freaked out!

Thanks, it was a long sleepless night for me. I've been taking his temp and it has come down some overnight. He's finally laying down, still breathing heavily, but not coughing so much. He walked with me this morning, took a pee, but then wanted to come back into the house afterward. He's drinking his water normally, still not much interest in his food though. I'll be calling our primary vet in the morning to see if they can get us in...the emergency vet clinic is in town where there is a Wolf-dog restriction, if I even brought him there they would euthanize him for what he is not treat him. I'm still hoping one of these area vets calls me back.

I'm holding it together a bit more than I was. Had to have my mommy freak out moment, now it's thinking about it in a medical mindset. He's resting a lot more comfortably right now, still breathing heavy and coughing on occasion but no more blood as of yet. Thinking positive thoughts and starting meds for pneumonia today.

post-6615-13586078642913_thumb.jpg

That's at the high end of normal so that looks good!! What meds did they vet put him on??

We were given Cephilaxin. Round 2 was interesting to get down him. He's not taking food right now so had to force it, and of course I have no help tonight! He nipped me twice, but did get it down. Now he's pooped out, the short potty walk took a lot out of him :( I know how it goes though, I had my own bout of pneumonia last year and I can totally relate being wiped out doing nothing.

Hope that he's feeling better soon! Does he like bread? I've had luck wrapping meds in a bit of bread, even though Cephalexin (when my guys have had it) is a larger capsule, they'll usually swallow bread eagerly enough that the capsule goes down a bit more easily than otherwise... Good luck!

Hope that he's feeling better soon! Does he like bread? I've had luck wrapping meds in a bit of bread, even though Cephalexin (when my guys have had it) is a larger capsule, they'll usually swallow bread eagerly enough that the capsule goes down a bit more easily than otherwise... Good luck!

He's not liking anything right now, not even his favorite treats....I'm lucky he's drinking water still. I ended up popping the pill in his mouth and using a water bottle to flush it and get him to swallow.