Please help! Vomitting for no reason?

Akira's Mom

Our 1 year old puppy has been vomitting and we dont know why. She has vomitted right after drinking water, at times too much which we understand, but today she vomitted 1.5 hrs after eating her dinner and without having any water to drink. We feed her from a treat ball which she has to kick around in order to get food out and it keeps her active. We only feed her 1 cup in the morning and then another at night. We just cant find an explanation for why she has been vomitting. She tends to vomit right after drinking water. We started giving her only 1/4 cup of water since we thought that she was drinking too much too fast but even with 1/4 cup she still vomits. In the last 2 weeks she has vomitted at least 5 times. Your suggestions, questions, and feedback are much apprecitated!! Thank you!

I'd say vet as well there could be any number of reasons from an irritated bowel from eating what she shouldn't up to having something stuck in her stomach. Vomitting is not really a normal thing and should be a vet consult if it lasts for more than a few days; at least that's what I believe.

I don't think vommiting is anything to worry about tbh, vommiting isnt that rare... Whats in the vomit? Just food & bile? Or... just bile??

Maybe take away the treat ball, and feed her from a bowl, then make sure she isnt bouncing around after she has eaten, all the activeness whilst eating/digesting may be bringing the food up...

If she is throwing up bile, with no bits of food in it, then she probably isn't getting enough food & her stomach acids are irritating her, causing her to vomit.

You're right with the drinking water, sometimes they drink too much, too fast and throw it up, your puppy needs to have access to water at all times, so you can't restrict it, she'll have to work that one out on her own, they usually do.

As long as you're not seeing anything unusual in the vommit, such as blood, I'd say theres nothing to worry about. How long has she been vommiting for and how many times has she vommited?

EDIT: Just re-read, your pup is a year old? Try elevating her water bowl, so its just below head height, this should help.

Edited by Erinc

My son's dog had a similar problem. Elevated bowls for both food and water were the answer he was looking for. She's doing much better now, no more throwing up.

I agree with Erinc's question regarding what the vomit looks like. That would tell us much more, as disgusting as it might seem.