Are you superstitious?

Val (Zebedee)

Well, are you?? :lolman:

I am to a degree. I don't walk under ladders, I don't walk on the cracks in the pavement, I avoid the number 13 but I still go about my every day business on Friday 13th.

I have a lucky number - 4. Everything I do revolves around the number 4. My date of birth is divisible by 4; my name adds up to the number 4 (remember the kids game where you write 1 - 9 across the page then write the alphabet in 9 columns - see below) and that is my maiden name AND my married name. If I can resolve issues using maths, I will pick option 4 & it's never let me down yet!

To explain, this is how kids used to find out their lucky number:

A....B....C....D...E....F....G....H....I

J.....K....L....M...N...O....P....Q....R

S....T....U....V....W...X...Y.....Z

so Val would be V (in the 4 column) A = 1 and L = 3 .... 4+1+3=8 (though you use your full name) and when you end up with 2 digits at the end, add them together till you get one number (so 38 = 3+8 = 11 and 11 = 1+1 = 2)

So - do you have any superstitions & what are they?

Edited by Val (Zebedee)

I don't like walking under or on ladders, but that's probably a 'me' thing.

I'm not sure if I believe in fate or not. I'd like to know that I'm controlling my life and its not set in stone by fate.

Although, for some reason, whenever I wash my car (either by hand or with the carwash), it always seems to rain 1 or 2 days afterward...even if the forecast calls for clear/sunny skies!

I knock on wood whenever I say something like: "It isn't going to rain tomorrow" or "If something happens to you and..."

And, also, bad things for me usually happens in threes. Like I forget my cell phone at home, I get pulled over by the cops, and I forgot to put the insurance back in the car.

I believe in Murphy's Law that goes: "Whatever bad that can happen, will happen." An example of this is when I'm in a hurry to go somewhere, there will ALWAYS be road construction, or I'd get all of the red lights possible on the route.

I am a little I suppose. A friend of mine really is. Number 13 is fine, black cats are fine, stepping on cracks is OK. But wearing shoes while sitting on the bed is a bad omen. And she freaked out when a mutual friend set her hat on my bed. And she will hush you if she knows a probable jinx is about to be said.

I step on cracks. If it comes to me and Kissu isn't with me and it looks healthy I will pick up/pet a black cat. 13 is just a number. I don't walk under ladders for fear it will randomly fall on me.

I do try to not jinx stuff though. And for some reason, mirrors breaking just doesn't sit right with me even though I don't believe in the 7 years bad luck.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Not superstitious at all here. Used to have a black cat, nothing happened. My mother once broke a huge mirror, now it's hanging in the garden because it looks quite cool, nothing happened. I'm the kind of guy that, when not allowed to do something, whether by someone else or by something superstitious, I feel inclined to actually do it :P Can't walk on the cracks? I will step on all of them. Can't walk under a ladder? I will walk under all of them, lol.

Nope' date=' definitely not. That said, I have sometimes been accused of having 'jinxed' things.:( I will say something quite innocent, such as, 'I hope x doesn't happen, and then it does...minutes later.:S[/quote']

That happens to me too

I'm not superstitious at all if u think about it things like Friday 13th is just coincidence if a month starts on a Sunday the 13th will fall on a Friday

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

being an Indonesian, it's hard not to be superstitious x) I don't believe the overly weird stuffs though for example these old Chinese beliefs: "if you got something in your eye, spit on the ground and step on it" "if you got hiccups, drink some water and hit your own forehead" "in Chinese new year, don't clean the house" :S

I am superstitious to an extent. I won't walk under ladders, if I spill alt I throw it over my shoulder, if a black cat crosses my path while driving I make an x on the windshield with my finger, I don't like to split a pole, don't want to break a mirror. While not really a superstition I generally dislike odd numbers and try to avoid them even though I was born 03/03/87 LOL