Old English Sheepdog at risk of dying out, according to Kennel Club...because of...

Mollys_mum

Yeah, if you haven't yet guessed it, 'exotic' breeds such as the Siberian Husky.

http://news.sky.com/story/1003819/old-english-sheepdog-facing-extinction

Interesting, the journalist does not state how many new KC registered Sibes there are this year, yet s/he quotes figures for other popular breeds... presumably, the Sibe isn't at the top of popular breeds then. (Inside thoughts: Thank God.) Predictably though, the journalist had lifted material directly from a Kennel Club newsletter. Lol! I would have expected that from the Daily Mail, but not Sky news.

I did a google search on this topic but couldn't find any figures published about Sibes - just vague opinions such as 'a lot' and 'popular'. I'd be interested if anyone here could give me some figures.

I am, at present, of the belief that Sibes are still relatively rare as a breed of choice, albeit they are far more popular than they were 10 years ago, for example.

A Daily Mail article in Jan' of this year went pretty much along the same lines, (still with Sibes to blame) except this time it was the Setter:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2091501/English-setter-brink-extinction-dog-lovers-copy-celebrities-opt-exotic-breeds.html

Note that both articles suggest that the sibe is not suited to 'urban life'. Perhaps (strictly) not, but reading the articles, one is inclined to think that anyone that owes a Sibe that lives in an urban area should not own one. Hello, Mr Journalist, we have cars, trains etc...

Perhaps I am being cynical, but I do wonder why the Kennel Club, in making this announcement, is citing Sibes as a problem and yet not supplying any figures. I also note, from the Kennel Club's own newsletter, that Old English Sheep dogs don't cope well with 'urban' areas. Errr, that would be a bit like Sibes, then (according to them).

I don't have any answers here - just thought I'd put it on the forum to see what others think.

Completely agree, i disagree with the fact that they are not 'urban' dogs obviously, there is nothing better for a sibe than acres of land ( fenced of course) to run around and play in but isnt that with many other high energy breeds too?, But what is worrying though is the fact that huskies are becoming so popular, i just worry that they will become appelaing to the wrong type of people or people who knwo nothing about the breed, ive had numerous people come up to me and ask where they can get a 'wolf dog' like mine!! i mean this statement alone whos that they have no idea so obviously, i dont tell them, it may be alittle mean but i think we have to do whats best for the breed. Just hope this craze ends soon as i fear too many dogs may get into the hands of peopel who dont know or dont even care how to look after them properly and sadly, they may end up in a shelter, i mean weve got enough in shelters already we dont need more. x