Husky of the Month Calendars

Elyse

An idea popped into my head - you know how we have a Husky of the Month each month?

Well, why don't we have a yearly calendar (of last year's winners. Like the 2013 calendar could be with 2012's winners) that has the year's HotM winners for the month they won? It can be for general forum funding, or it can be used to help fund members to go to an overseas/out of country meet.

Or the proceeds can go to a husky rescue.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An idea popped into my head - you know how we have a Husky of the Month each month?

Well, why don't we have a yearly calendar (of last year's winners. Like the 2013 calendar could be with 2012's winners) that has the year's HotM winners for the month they won? It can be for general forum funding, or it can be used to help fund members to go to an overseas/out of country meet.

Or the proceeds can go to a husky rescue.

great idea but not keen on proceeds going to a rescue

I like the idea and also agree the money should be for Husky Owners, either for the forum, husky camps or to bring someone overseas.

Maybe we can create a small competition for the 12 best photos for the calender? Not all previous HoTM photos had a good enough quality to be printed out imo.

I like the idea and also agree the money should be for Husky Owners, either for the forum, husky camps or to bring someone overseas.

Maybe we can create a small competition for the 12 best photos for the calender? Not all previous HoTM photos had a good enough quality to be printed out imo.

we said this last year but as its too late now like it was last year id say its better to organise it for next year. assuming it gets remembered.

I like that idea - a competition for the calendar's photos. There can be a separate competition for each month, and how about to make things fair: nobody can 'win' more than one month (doesn't matter if you have more than 1 dog or not.) for the calendar.

So, for example, if Suka were to win the month of April...but he was voted for again for the month of October, I would have to choose between the April and the October picture.

Do you want me to set it up or are we not going to do this?

Another thought, maybe the pictures should be suitable to the month/season. So, for example, the months of Dec-Feb can be wintery/snowy pictures. March-May could be spring pictures, like pictures that were taken during the spring, June-August could be the summer pictures, and September-November could be the autumn pictures (pretty leaf colours, October could be a halloween/costume thing, etc)

I like that idea - a competition for the calendar's photos. There can be a separate competition for each month, and how about to make things fair: nobody can 'win' more than one month (doesn't matter if you have more than 1 dog or not.) for the calendar.

So, for example, if Suka were to win the month of April...but he was voted for again for the month of October, I would have to choose between the April and the October picture.

Do you want me to set it up or are we not going to do this?

Another thought, maybe the pictures should be suitable to the month/season. So, for example, the months of Dec-Feb can be wintery/snowy pictures. March-May could be spring pictures, like pictures that were taken during the spring, June-August could be the summer pictures, and September-November could be the autumn pictures (pretty leaf colours, October could be a halloween/costume thing, etc)

I like the idea but I would feel bad for allowing some previous hotm winners and some not. I think making a competition for 12 new photos would be better and would others give a chance too. Either way, there is one month left for 2013 and that includes these mini competitions to fill in the blanks, the creation and sending it to everyone. And that alone might take a long time because it's Christmas and New Year by that time.

We can do it quick and dirty and get one done for 2013 or wait for next year and prepare it properly with enough time for everyone to join in.

I like the idea but I would feel bad for allowing some previous hotm winners and some not. I think making a competition for 12 new photos would be better and would others give a chance too. Either way, there is one month left for 2013 and that includes these mini competitions to fill in the blanks, the creation and sending it to everyone. And that alone might take a long time because it's Christmas and New Year by that time.

We can do it quick and dirty and get one done for 2013 or wait for next year and prepare it properly with enough time for everyone to join in.

True. I think we should wait until next year...like maybe start the voting in September and have the calendars sent out to everyone by Christmas?

We'd also have to see if the pricing is good. I have no idea how much it costs to make a calendar, and if you need to order a certain amount or not.

I like the idea of this as well. :)

Would it be an idea to have the back cover, and part of the front cover, full of very small pic's of anyone's dog who also wanted to be included, but didn't make the top 12 - perhaps as a 'magic eye', or would that be too ambitious?

Our dog park did this- they chose 12 "winners" which had bigger pictures and then they had a couple others posted on each month but smaller pictures. I think this is a good idea :)

We said, last year that it was too late to do anything and then nothing happened this year, so I'm going to offer a twist.

There are several programs that allow one to create a monthly calendar with picture(s) ... how about one of you graphic genius's put together a digital calendar this year. Either one that could be downloaded each month, or one that is for the whole year; putting together a "quick and dirty" digital version might help us to remember that we want to consider a better quality printed version next year.

For example, this template ( which has a picture ) could easily be edited to include a decent photo - but I'm not a grahics person.

Edited by Al Jones

We've been having this conversation since early 2011...I'm going to make a few for gifts for friends...maybe find a place that will print them, like walmart, fairly inexpensive. Will let you know if they turn out worthy.

Am I one of your friends?? But really, I have not earthly idea what to do with a calendar!!! I sometimes know what day of the week it is, seldom know what day of the month it is, often don't know what month it is and don't really care!!

Am I one of your friends?? But really, I have not earthly idea what to do with a calendar!!! I sometimes know what day of the week it is, seldom know what day of the month it is, often don't know what month it is and don't really care!!

Sure, where's your closest walmart so you can pick it up when it's ready? Really though, if you have little need, you could just hang the photos around in frames.

Sure, where's your closest walmart so you can pick it up when it's ready? Really though, if you have little need, you could just hang the photos around in frames.

LMAO!!! That would be one of the most expensive calendars going, my 'nearest' Wal-Mart is 150 miles away!!! The better of the two 'closest' is almost 300! Thanks but if you don't mind, I'll just pop in, tease a bit and pass on the calendar!

If all the kinks can be worked out I think this would be a great idea :D

Okay, I've already offered my suggestions ... what kinks do you see and how would you go about working them out?

We already have our Husky of the month competition, but since those follow different themes the winner of the HotM picture might not be right for the calendar. Do we want to have a separate Calendar HotM??

I like the comment about the pictures following the season but have to recognize that we have some people in the southern hemisphere where snow in Nov / Dec might not be appropriate - even if it were desired! :)

Staff seems to have itelf tied up with a couple of other projects so I think it's going to devolve onto the membership to get this going ... [MENTION=4265]Paranormal Wolf[/MENTION], [MENTION=2509]HuskyHijinx[/MENTION], [MENTION=7406]LittleLuka[/MENTION] (( and of course [MENTION=7158]Staff[/MENTION] )) comments????