Husky of the Month Calendars

Elyse

Okay, I've already offered my suggestions ... what kinks do you see and how would you go about working them out?

We already have our Husky of the month competition, but since those follow different themes the winner of the HotM picture might not be right for the calendar. Do we want to have a separate Calendar HotM??

I like the comment about the pictures following the season but have to recognize that we have some people in the southern hemisphere where snow in Nov / Dec might not be appropriate - even if it were desired! :)

Staff seems to have itelf tied up with a couple of other projects so I think it's going to devolve onto the membership to get this going ... @Paranormal Wolf, @HuskyHijinx, @LittleLuka (( and of course @Staff )) comments????

No major kinks that I can see, just in general. Everyone settling on one idea and getting it rolling. It was mentioned how this has been brought up more than once but never seen through so I guess that would be the biggest kink to work out.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Jos, I can put a reminder in my phone, which will remind me months from now. I can be the person who constantly annoys people to 'not forget about the husky calendar!' LOL

I forgot about the southern hemisphere having the different seasons. Hm...maybe that's why most calendars I see of wolves/huskies don't have the season thing going on, so they can sell internationally.

I don't think the HotM calendar is a good idea. Like Jos said, some HotM pictures aren't the best when it comes to quality. If were to restrict entries to 'good quality' pictures, then it wouldn't be fair.

I'm pretty savvy when it comes to graphic design, so if Jos can't do it then I can. I just won't be able to print them out and send them everywhere, because Canada Post charges you your soul to ship things.

Am I one of your friends?? But really, I have not earthly idea what to do with a calendar!!! I sometimes know what day of the week it is, seldom know what day of the month it is, often don't know what month it is and don't really care!!

Ha- I wish I had the attitude you had! To not care about time! You're retired, aren't you? :P

Edited by SolitaryHowl

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If we set on this much longer, it's going to be the same as last year - it's too late to do anything! (( whine!! ))

We've got some dynamite graphics people here and I'm pretty certain that it could be available as a 'purchased download' (could it Marc?)

Solitary Howl started this thread off and I'd rather not see this one die this year. 

Personally, I'd like to see it as an electronic download that I could use as a monthly "desktop"

I'll see what I can do about keeping this on the front page (I always 'View new topics') I am *NOT* a graphics person but will do whatever I can to help this along.

What I'd like to see is - possibly - a downloadable version that has a decent picture with the months calendar in the upper left or right as a 'desk top' ($5.00+/-) and with the same thing as a physical calendar with the picture above the calendar ($??).

If we really wanted to do a printed calender for 2015 (It's probably already too late to get everything done at this point) we could start the HotM photo specifically for the calender and just have two photo competitions a month.  That would give us a monthly reminder that this is going on and may get people more excited and willing to help out.  This way it will end in September of 2014 which will still give us three or four months to print and distribute them before the new year.  Also doing it this way will give us plenty of time to raise the money for printing expenses, mailing, etc.

Thoughts?

what did we decide about this? its now 2013!!!

Hmmm .. no real responses to this, guess it was just too early in the year.

bump? One of these for 2014?

So it got bumped in June and ... nothing

If we really wanted to do a printed calender for 2015 (It's probably already too late to get everything done at this point) we could start the HotM photo specifically for the calender and just have two photo competitions a month.  That would give us a monthly reminder that this is going on and may get people more excited and willing to help out.  This way it will end in September of 2014 which will still give us three or four months to print and distribute them before the new year.  Also doing it this way will give us plenty of time to raise the money for printing expenses, mailing, etc.

Thoughts?

So I bumped it again yesterday and the singular reesponse is that it's "probably already to late ..." for this year. 

I am *NOT* having a good day - feel like I'm in an argument in another thread and this one just irritates me.  G'night all!!

Don't worry. I haven't ignored the bump. I've been thinking about what's the way to do it. I'm not sure about the physical one yet but a downloadable one can be done. I gladly make all the graphics for it.

Using photos from previous competitions wouldn't be a good idea imo because we never selected them on quality/size which is what we need. The photos should be of good resolution, good lighting and not blurry. I think we should run a separate competition so we get a good pool of pictures that the people that work on can pick from based on the requirements. We would need various themes like summer and winter huskies but anything else not necessary related to a time of the year would be welcome as well.

It's definitely not too late. I'll make this happen :)

So we run a new competition. . . .

Your best High Quality photo of your Husky.

(preferably taken with a digital camera and not a Phone camera)

Then run a poll and the top 12 are the ones used.

For the competition the photos will probably need to be downsized

for the forum software to accept them.

Then the Winners will email Jos with the FULL resolution images for the creating of the Calendar 

Well, I did say I'd bump it around till something happened!  :)

Since I"m still on the end of this thread, I've gotten cards from VistaPrint - and I know that they do business in the EU and the US,  for someone who knows more about them than I, what are the possibilities that we can buy from HO and (probably for a surcharge) have them printed and delivered by VistaPrint??

Okay, just got off the phone with VistaPrint.  It's easy enough to do:

1. Create a generic account (this is their term for it, whoever does it would have to make sure it's done right.)
  2. Someone creates and uploads the calendar.
  3. Each person who wants to order would log into that generic account and place their order.

The current cost for printing in the US is $15.99, other countries mean other currencies.  The fellow I spoke with did say that cost was NOT strictly dependent on currency conversion.

The only problems I see with doing it this way:

1. there is no quantity discount - each pays for a single (or whatever) calendar.
  2. these is no benefit to HO ... which I believe was one of the reasons to wanting the calendar to begin with.

Both of those, though could be overcome by someone in specific regions (US / UK /  CAN / EU?) purchasing them and then mailing them on.

Then the Winners will email Jos with the FULL resolution images for the creating of the Calendar 

Like this idea Andy! :up:

great idea. and all the funds can be used to bring a member over to husk camp.

great idea. and all the funds can be used to bring a member over to husk camp.

Wait, are you suggesting we bring another Brit over here???  Don't you remember the early times when they were all over the place??

I hope they come up with something, I've been wracking my brain to come up with a way to use VistaPrint so that someone from each country/region can have them printed and then mail them, but the money flow would be international (hence weird).

Thinking in terms of:

• Someone posts the calendar on VistaPrint giving representatives rights to have them printed.
  • User orders from Husky Owners
  • rep has them printed and mails them
  • Husky Owners pays/reimburses representative
We're going to get caught by the conversion factor from <wherever> to the UK then again from the UK back to <wherever>.  Alternatively:
  • A representative in each <wherever> takes orders (and is paid), has them printed and mails them.
  • Send the left over cash to the UK.
Staff: do you have any ideas there and yes, I'd be willing to do that from here.

If anyone already has a vista print account you sometimes get sent really good discounts on calendars etc. They aren't amazing quality though, my step sis always does one of her son. You might do better to ring a local printer (local to whoever is organising this!) and they might do a better deal/better quality x

Wait, are you suggesting we bring another Brit over here???  Don't you remember the early times when they were all over the place??

I hope they come up with something, I've been wracking my brain to come up with a way to use VistaPrint so that someone from each country/region can have them printed and then mail them, but the money flow would be international (hence weird).

Thinking in terms of:

• Someone posts the calendar on VistaPrint giving representatives rights to have them printed.
  • User orders from Husky Owners
  • rep has them printed and mails them
  • Husky Owners pays/reimburses representative
We're going to get caught by the conversion factor from <wherever> to the UK then again from the UK back to <wherever>.  Alternatively:
  • A representative in each <wherever> takes orders (and is paid), has them printed and mails them.
  • Send the left over cash to the UK.
Staff: do you have any ideas there and yes, I'd be willing to do that from here.

haha no i meant the other way around. lol like bring a non UK member over there! i need someone fun to prank ;)