Husky Fur and the Swallows

Rosemary

It is not often that we get swallows on the ground, they usually only do a fly-by when we are going to get rain, so it was a bonus to be able to get these photos on camera. The bottle in the birdhouse is filled with husky fur.

I am not really a bird person, but the new camera is a lot of fun, so I snap at anything that moves. If the photos are blurry it is because they were taken with a zoom lens, and the darn thing is heavy, especially when waiting for the swallows to 'do their thing' :rolleyes:

The Swallow

post-1262-13586079491531_thumb.jpg

Waiting ....

post-1262-13586079492571_thumb.jpg

Queuing up

post-1262-13586079493581_thumb.jpg

Take-off

post-1262-13586079494538_thumb.jpg

At work - collecting

post-1262-13586079495749_thumb.jpg

post-1262-13586079496329_thumb.jpg

Both loaded and ready to go

post-1262-13586079496907_thumb.jpg

And of course ... Jack. Not the best photo, but here is still trying to impress Jill by hovering in front of her displaying his very long tail. When is he going to realise she is just not in to him :rolleyes: Men ...

post-1262-13586079499619_thumb.jpg

It is not often that we get swallows on the ground, they usually only do a fly-by when we are going to get rain, so it was a bonus to be able to get these photos on camera. The bottle in the birdhouse is filled with husky fur.

I am not really a bird person, but the new camera is a lot of fun, so I snap at anything that moves. If the photos are blurry it is because they were taken with a zoom lens, and the darn thing is heavy, especially when waiting for the swallows to 'do their thing' :rolleyes:

The Swallow

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62947[/ATTACH]

Waiting ....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62948[/ATTACH]

Queuing up

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62949[/ATTACH]

Take-off

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62950[/ATTACH]

At work - collecting

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62951[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62952[/ATTACH]

Both loaded and ready to go

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62953[/ATTACH]

And of course ... Jack. Not the best photo, but here is still trying to impress Jill by hovering in front of her displaying his very long tail. When is he going to realise she is just not in to him :rolleyes: Men ..[/quote

Aww,that's so sweet,nice to see the fur being put to good use!.We had a similar thing earlier this year,with lots of sparrows coming into our garden and collecting our husky hair from the patio.I did mean to take a few pics,but they flew off every time I tried to snap them.Bet those nests must be super warm and cosy for some lucky little chicks!!:)

Nice pics! We rake ours when we take them out so the local wildlife can use the fluff but have never seen any actually being collected.

What is in that red bottle?

The bottle is a modified Coke bottle filled with sugar water and food coloring - the nectar birds love it and can empty a bottle in a week or two - it has a spout with a ledge they sit on while they sip the 'nectar' :D