The Best Camera?

Mobezilla

Well, as the title says, I'm looking for a good camera. I really want something I'll be able to take to the dog park and get good action shots with, and yes I'm willing to save the money for a more expensive one because you get what you pay for. I'm hoping not to go past $500 though.. XD So any suggestions on a good camera thats good with action shots?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm currently looking at the AW100 Nikon, it's shock and waterproof which I figure would be good to take sledding/carting in the event I crash LOL. Right around $250-$300 16megaPixles HD video capable...in my dog yard I use my DSLR Nikon D300s, but that is a pricy unit before lenses.

Well at the moment I'm thinking Nikon P5100? It's a compact digital as you said, Stranger. GoPro was suggested, but thanks for your input jmscott that its better for video. I don't think I'll be sledding anytime soon LOL but I hope that one works out for you HuskyMom09 :D Now.. where to get the camera from XD (By the way this all seemed like another language to me, I can't speak camera :P)

The p5100 is very user friendly. Newegg has them for cheap, although I bought mine from Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Coolpix-Digital-Vibration-Reduction/dp/B000VKSRV8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351776729&sr=8-1&keywords=nikon+p5100

Thank you! I'll bookmark this and probably buy it next month. Can't dip into the pups emergency funds ;]

I have Fujifilm HS10. Its a bridge camera so a DSLR with a bit less manual control (great if you dont really get the tecnical bits like me lol). Unlike an SLR you dont need different lenses for stuff like macro. the lense on this will do macro, and also has 30x zoom :)

It cost £330 new, but its so worth it, i love it! https://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/digital_cameras/s/finepix_hs10/specifications/index.html

Here's some shots i've taken with it:

DSCF0147.jpg

DSCF0145.jpg

DSCF8366Copy-1.jpg

DSCF9104Copy.jpg

DSCF9090.jpg

DSCF7054Copy.jpg

DSCF8349Copy.jpg

190554_10150152621805499_397379_n.jpg

I use the Nikon D90, which I bought new. You could probably get a gently used one for cheaper. I just bought the body and not the default lens it came with...that saved a little bit of $.

IMO, the more expensive Nikon cameras (anything about the D90) aren't worth it for what your getting. They all have the same sensor, I think. The lens is the MOST IMPORTANT part about getting a camera, which is why my lens was more expensive than the camera body.

The lens I got instead was the "Nikkor AF-Zoom 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF"

http://en.nikon.ca/Nikon-Products/Product/Camera-Lenses/1929/AF-Zoom-NIKKOR-24-85mm-f%252F2.8-4D-IF.html

(You can probably get the lens for cheaper if you buy it used, but be sure its gently used and there are no scratches on the lens. And make sure you buy your stuff from a specialty camera shop - better service and the one I went to had a warranty separate from Nikon's)

It takes awesome action shots, and it also has a macro mode for super detailed close up shots. See here for a whole lot of samples, just browse through my gallery for pictures: http://canuckzd.deviantart.com/gallery/

I used the Nikon D50 for years until I got the D90 for a Christmas present a few years ago. I prefer the D90 because it has more features and IMO, its easier to use.

I use the Nikon D90, which I bought new. You could probably get a gently used one for cheaper. I just bought the body and not the default lens it came with...that saved a little bit of $.

IMO, the more expensive Nikon cameras (anything about the D90) aren't worth it for what your getting. They all have the same sensor, I think. The lens is the MOST IMPORTANT part about getting a camera, which is why my lens was more expensive than the camera body.

The lens I got instead was the "Nikkor AF-Zoom 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF"

http://en.nikon.ca/Nikon-Products/Product/Camera-Lenses/1929/AF-Zoom-NIKKOR-24-85mm-f%252F2.8-4D-IF.html

(You can probably get the lens for cheaper if you buy it used, but be sure its gently used and there are no scratches on the lens. And make sure you buy your stuff from a specialty camera shop - better service and the one I went to had a warranty separate from Nikon's)

It takes awesome action shots, and it also has a macro mode for super detailed close up shots. See here for a whole lot of samples, just browse through my gallery for pictures: http://canuckzd.deviantart.com/gallery/

I used the Nikon D50 for years until I got the D90 for a Christmas present a few years ago. I prefer the D90 because it has more features and IMO, its easier to use.

Ah no, more choices! I'll be waiting about a month or two to buy a camera, but I wanted to do it before Yuki got -too- big so I could get some good puppy shots. I'm replacing my moms carpet in December as promised so thats where all my money is going at the moment, not to mention vet bills for little Yuki who gets her LAST, yes LAST set of puppy shots in 8 days. stoked.

Yeah one I would definitely NOT buy would be the Nikon Coolpix L110. When my p5100 crashed and burned, I was given the 110 as a gift from a family member. I absolutely hated that thing. More often than not, I would take pictures with zachs 10 year old cannon something or another rather than the brand new L110.

I now have a D5100.

I currently own a Canon EOS 1100D (or Canon Rebel T3 as it's known in the US). It's a DSLR, requires a bit more work and money but I totally love it. Especially for photographing animals. I have a wide angle lens which can photograph from up close and often with fast shutter speeds and a zoom lens so I can photograph them without them noticing me. When I want an upgrade I just buy that separate part I want, I don't have to buy a completely new camera for it :)

Yeah, I can't suggest anything other than Nikons because that's all I've owned...but I would definitely go with a DSLR.

While they're more expensive, they have their advantages because you can change the lens to whatever you want - to suit what you want to take pictures of, the light conditions, etc. You can make a $500 camera look like a $500 camera (default lens), or you can make a $500 camera look like a $2000 camera (what mine cost; with a $800 lens) with the right lens.

If you don't have the money right now, maybe you can ask from EVERYBODY the whole camera for Christmas (body + lens) or you can just ask for the lens or the body for Christmas, and then pay for the other part yourself later on. (That's what I did, but my parents ended up buying me the whole camera, on the condition I take good care of it and I let them use it whenever they want! Yeah - they spoil me just a little bit! :D )

To give you an idea just how advanced these DSLRs can go... you can have a $500 camera body and have a $20,000 lens! The lens would be suited for everything (fast shots, telescopic zoom, low-light conditions, etc)

Edited by SolitaryHowl

Oh gosh so many choices. I definitely agree on the lense part, as for the 'asking for christmas' thing I know that won't happen xD Last year I tried it. I said I wanted a really good camera and that if I could get a lense or help to pay for the camera that was all I wanted from the family but I got a Kodak cheapy camera. Lol I appreciate the thought mom, but the camera can't take pictures worth crap xD But of course I can't tell her that so if I ask for help paying for a camera this year I'll get the 'what's wrong with the one you have?'. Better to save up ^-^ Plus I'm not expecting much for christmas anyway, I'm not in any contact with my dad and my mom let me stay at her place so I'd consider that gift enough from her.

personally the reason I didnt get a full DSLR was because of the lenses! The kit lens you get with a body will only do so much, so when you need to be able to zoom that bit further, or go macro for close up detail you're screwed unless you have $$$ for a new lens. Not to mention I didnt wanna be carrying around multiple lenses lol

Mine does pretty much what an SLR does without the need to update with new lenses all the time, i've not had a problem getting the shot I want, though admittedly I only take pics of the dogs really!

personally the reason I didnt get a full DSLR was because of the lenses! The kit lens you get with a body will only do so much, so when you need to be able to zoom that bit further, or go macro for close up detail you're screwed unless you have $$$ for a new lens. Not to mention I didnt wanna be carrying around multiple lenses lol

Mine does pretty much what an SLR does without the need to update with new lenses all the time, i've not had a problem getting the shot I want, though admittedly I only take pics of the dogs really!

You can get lenses that are multipurpose. The one I have has a nice zoom (though it could be better), a fast shutter speed, is okay in low light conditions, and an awesome macro mode.

I have another lens that I rarely use, that is excellent in low-light conditions and even at night. Although it doesn't zoom and the shutter speed is kinda slow.

But, Sid, the reason why you didn't go for an SLR...because of the lenses...can apply for the point-and-shoot cameras as well. You can't even change the lens on them, so if you want to do more with your camera you have to buy a whole new camera. So you'd have to carry around different cameras for different uses...

You can get lenses that are multipurpose. The one I have has a nice zoom (though it could be better), a fast shutter speed, is okay in low light conditions, and an awesome macro mode.

I have another lens that I rarely use, that is excellent in low-light conditions and even at night. Although it doesn't zoom and the shutter speed is kinda slow.

But, Sid, the reason why you didn't go for an SLR...because of the lenses...can apply for the point-and-shoot cameras as well. You can't even change the lens on them, so if you want to do more with your camera you have to buy a whole new camera. So you'd have to carry around different cameras for different uses...

mine isnt a point and shoot, its a bridge camera, the lens is huge (cant remember the specs) but i'll never want a different lens. if i done different photography i might but i only use it for the dogs - portraits, close ups and them running about :) i put the specs of my camera in my first post, that should tell you the range of the lens :)

There are plenty of cheap lenses that can do both closeups and zoom ins. Though, the advantage of having separated lenses for different tasks is the quality. A certain type of lens can have an incredible zoom with no extra light needed and having internal stabilisation while a wide-angle lens doesn't need such things. You can specifically select your gear to suit your needs. My camera came with two stock lenses which I still use. One for the wide-angle and one for the zoom. This whole camera + two lens kit only costed me €500/£400/$642.

I will be honest and say most people don't need such things or such high quality. However DSLRs are really a great combination with dogs and other animals, for me it was well worth the money and I wouldn't be able to live without it now :)

I have a Canon EOS 550D (T2i) - with standard, zoom and macro lenses, and I love it. But ...... if we go to the beach for a quick walk with the dogs it is easier to take my husband's Nikon Coolpix, it is a great camera :) and it fits in his pocket.