rescuing - whats the likely hood of getting accepted

Stranger

I know this is a convo that goes round and round about regulations and what not with adopting, but i have to ask

I have seen a puppy at a rescue i am interested in looking at further.

HOWEVER

i work, monday to friday 7:30 - 5, and although my boys get walked in the morning and afternoon, and deal very well with this, i know it wasnt easy when we first got them, although situation was different (someone home all day 3 out 5 days of week, and on the other two was out at college part of the day only max 5 hours alone)

Note - i work too far away to go home during day to let them out, but...massive but maybe able to get someone to do it..but unlikely

So question time right...i know i can chat for england

Because i am out all day 5 days a week, is it worth looking into hes only 2 months old JUST, and i have 1 week holiday due, and 2 weeks off at christmas (i know thats not long) but i would rather get a puppy...and rescue than an adult, or from breeder as i have a cat, and she must come first, and when they grow up together they tend not to have a problem - going on my boys who was rbought up with Cagney...

i want to rescue but cant see me getting accepted, because A out all day, and B puppies need to be let out often!

cheers all :)

You wouldn't get accepted by any rescue I know of, and with regards to a puppy I think that's the right decision. Working that long is no situation to add a puppy IMO. If you were interested in an adult I'd think the opposite - if everyone who worked full time was banned from keeping dogs then hardly anyone would have dogs, we all need to work! So it frustrates me that rescues add that restriction to dogs they are rehoming, they'll be passing up a lot of good homes for that reason. However when it comes to young dogs, under 8 months ish I'd say, and especially little puppies, it's a reasonable thing to ask simply because dogs that young NEED your time and attention. Working a 9 1/2 hour day 5 days a week is no scenario to add a puppy.

In the US, you would not be accepted mainly because of the cat, and secondly because of not being able to care appropriately for the puppy. If you are against an adult dog adoption, and don't want to restrict your cat, then it most likely is not an ideal time for you to do this.

Like the others said, I don't think your schedule would be suitable for a puppy. If you want a young dog, try to look at rescues to see if any young dogs/huskies come in (like 8 months or a year, for example). Being older, they can hold their bladder for longer.

thought as much...really wanted to add to our pack... :( guess ill have to wait till Cagney pops her cloggs...shes only 7 so hopefully not for a long time...want her to stay around more than get another lol

Cheers :)

Curious why you are against adopting an older dog. My 3 are all rescues, at 5, 6, and 2 years old. Andy lived with a cat for many years and ended up in the system because he played a little too hard with it and it did not survive. Glad we found him, as it would have been a terrible waste...and he'd been adopted and returned because he cannot be confined. The older they get the more difficult for them to find homes, and you may find an older one that has been with cats....don't give up if you really want to add to your pack, but broaden your choices.

Do you guys have doggie daycare around you? Or maybe someone could stop in during the day to let the pup out?

I work all day and had my pups since they were 8 weeks old, and they did fine, but the longest they went in their crate was 4 1/2 - 5 hours.

thought puppy because better for the cat, my boys are good with cagney but not other cats, they chase them, not caught any yet thank god as wouldnt know what they would do.

My fear is that even though an adult dog may have lived with a cat before, doesnt mean they can live with another...she was here first, and shes my cat not family cat, already lost her sister so her safety is paramount!

we have considered older dogs, i just dont want to push her out the home though, if she feels threatened by a new dog she throw a fit and start living upstairs or outside again....at least with my two boys she sleeps down stairs while their out, and knows they wont chase her till shes out of reach which is so funny...

I suppose i feel a puppy is more adaptable than an adult..?!?!

:)

Edited by Stranger

Do you guys have doggie daycare around you? Or maybe someone could stop in during the day to let the pup out?

I work all day and had my pups since they were 8 weeks old, and they did fine, but the longest they went in their crate was 4 1/2 - 5 hours.

not near us i dont think...

could possibly find someone havent asked around yet :)

i work like 7 hours a day so it's hard for me to let Luka out every few hours.

Rescuing an older dog seemed to be the right choice for me. Less hassle, Less work. Not saying an adult husky isn't a lot of work, i think we all know it is. LOL but when i get Luka a brother I want someone who can keep up with him and is already potty trained. If you're not going to be home all day then I would go with an older dog. You'll give a baby a home that really needs one and that may be harder to adopt out. Puppies go easily but sometimes adult dogs don't. Just my opinion. I've been working on rescuing a male that is about a year old. We got approved, we're just getting stuff together so we can be ready for him.

Rescuing an older dog seemed to be the right choice for me. Less hassle, Less work. Not saying an adult husky isn't a lot of work, i think we all know it is. LOL but when i get Luka a brother I want someone who can keep up with him and is already potty trained. If you're not going to be home all day then I would go with an older dog. You'll give a baby a home that really needs one and that may be harder to adopt out. Puppies go easily but sometimes adult dogs don't. Just my opinion. I've been working on rescuing a male that is about a year old. We got approved, we're just getting stuff together so we can be ready for him.

Ahh thats great news...whens he due?

has anyone ever had a rescue brought into a family which has a cat already?

I got Koda from a private rehome - he is NOT good at all with cats as we found out when we brought him home poor Bella ran a mile - he is so much better now after a LOT of training (including crate training) but we know IF he ever got Bella then it's deep down not his fault. We are quite lucky, she's older and keeps herself to herself and has a lot of space she can get to away from the dogs - the boys are crated whenever we're not in so this minimises the risk - but the risk is always there.

Do you know when you are getting him?

Do you know when you are getting him?

The rescue is waiting on us. We finally passed everything as Luka is now neutered. She said to let them know when we are ready.

I'm ready now... the boyfriend wants to wait till the first of the year because i'm quitting my second job then. It makes me sad because Nikko might be adopted then but ultimately it's okay because they will have another husky that will need a home. We've both officially decided to rescue, i'm not doing the puppy thing again. lol