Micah at vet with possible hip problems

Rosemary

For a while now I have noticed that Micah, on occasion, walks strangely (stiff legged), and I though she had perhaps just pulled something slightly, but by today she seemed to be getting worse so Monty came home to take her to the vet.

I should have gone with but we decided not to take Ozzy because when the two of them go together they burst into the surgery as if to say "Helloooo world, here we are" - and talk to, and woo at everyone, so I stayed at home with him.

The vet told Monty that Micah is too young (3yrs) for arthritis or Hip Dysplasia, but she couldn't rule it out. She couldn't take x-rays to make sure because their machine has broken down. They get their new digital machine in December and we must take her back then. In the meantime she has put Micah on Anti-inflammatory tablets (Coxflam 7.5). I seriously hope they work and that Micah does not have anything more serious wrong with her.

The vet estimates that the cost of hip replacement surgery is about R10 000 :( She also mentioned some other possible route we can take if it is hip dysplasia, but the way my husband described it doesn't make any sense. Next time I go with, regardless of my two taking over the place.

Please say a prayer for my little girl.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long has Micah been stiff/limping? Does she have trouble getting up? Does she struggle to keep up on walks? Does she move slower or more careful than usual?

They are never too young to have joint problems: Suka was diagnosed with arthritis at 5 years old (though it is possible he may have had it at 4 years or even younger, when we adopted him.). Mostly in his hip, right side.

He either got it young because: He was exercised too much as a puppy and it damaged his joints, or it was a result of poor breeding..hopefully he won't get HD as he gets older.

I took him to the vet because he walked stiffly, especially in his hips, and when he would walk his right leg would swing out a little bit instead of being underneath the body like the other legs.

Puppies, even as young as 1 year old, can have HD because it was inherited (poor breeding)

Is there another vet you can go to that can take x-rays? It's vital to get them as soon as possible, so you can figure out a treatment plan and/or start saving up money for surgery if needed.

If it is just arthritis, I recommend putting her on hip supplements (with MSM and glucosamine).

In the meantime, while you're waiting for testing or results, try to limit her exercise. I

n my opinion...when you get the results and if its arthritis, unless the pain is really bad, I wouldn't put her on pain meds...then she'll end up hurting her joints even more because she can't feel the pain (so she won't be careful and she'll push herself.)

I really hope things turn out okay for you and Micah!

Polee has some HD in her left hip which possibly contributed to her cruciate ligament ruptures and arthritis is likely in later life. She has kibble with glucosamine as one of the ingredients as this helps with joints and she gets a regular massage from me which helps her remain supple with little or no sign of any stiffness. You can ask your vet about Glucosamine supplements to see if they believe they will be of benefit. Fingers and paws crossed that it's nothing serious

How long has Micah been stiff/limping? Does she have trouble getting up? Does she struggle to keep up on walks? Does she move slower or more careful than usual?

I would say in the last month she has become more careful when getting up, but once she is up she is on the move as if nothing is wrong. But after running around the garden she sometimes walks as if her legs are stiff.

He was exercised too much as a puppy and it damaged his joints, or it was a result of poor breeding..hopefully he won't get HD as he gets older.

We are not sure what Micah's previous owners did with her, exercise wise, we re-homed her.

Is there another vet you can go to that can take x-rays? It's vital to get them as soon as possible, so you can figure out a treatment plan and/or start saving up money for surgery if needed.

We don't have another vet here, I will see how she does this week and if she worsens, I will phone the vet and get a recommendation from her to have the x-rays taken elsewhere.

We have the money in their 'Emergency Vet Fund' which will cover it, but a bill like that will pretty much clear it out. So yes, we will need to seriously think of adding to it now.

In the meantime, while you're waiting for testing or results, try to limit her exercise.

The vet also told us to hold off on all strenuous walking, etc. Can she still swim? My husband never asked.

In my opinion...when you get the results and if its arthritis, unless the pain is really bad, I wouldn't put her on pain meds...then she'll end up hurting her joints even more because she can't feel the pain (so she won't be careful and she'll push herself.)

I agree with you, if she is in pain now, she is ignoring it and carrying on as normal (in the backyard) and feels the after- effects later, so any pain killers will only encourage her to go moggy even more.

I really hope things turn out okay for you and Micah!

Thank you :)

One other thing, the vet told my husband that if Micah has blood in her stools after taking the anti-inflammatory meds she prescribed, we must phone her. That worries me, why on earth give her something that can potentially have that effect? I looked it up on the internet and it seems to be when over-medicating :confused:

I hope for the best for Micah. I know how much you care for your two babies. Hopefully it's nothing serious and everything works out.

swimming's fine, its actually the recommended exercise for dogs with joint problems, a 5 minute swim is the equivalent to a 5 mile run (or something like that) but the dog puts no weight or stress on the joint. It also builds muscle which supports the joint, very important for dogs with HD as the better the support around the joint = the less stress on the joint itself and less chance of a hip replacement being necessary :) If you are using your own pool though be careful not to overdo it and dont let her jump in or out

fingers and paws crossed for a good outcome

@Rosemary

Yeah, that sounds how Suka behaves. He has trouble getting up and moving, but once he does, he's okay. Afterwards, though, he's sore and doesn't want to be bothered (he growls at me if I pet him anywhere).

My vet recommended swimming as the best exercise one can do (dogs and people) for arthritis, although it still should be limited (like don't do laps or anything!). Swimming is a very low/no impact exercise (like biking is for people) so it puts less pressure and stress on the joints. Swimming is also great cardio, so it keeps their heart strong and circulation great.

You can still take her for walks, but the walks have to be slower, controlled (no pulling), and preferably on a soft surface (ie: dirt or mud, or grass, as opposed to concrete.). Also, make sure to start out slowly and then build up to a speed that is only slightly less than your normal walking pace. Afterwards, cool down her muscles, go gradually from your current speed to the speed you started out the walk with (slow), so she doesn't get any cramps. Cramps would (probably) discourage her from exercising - a bad thing with arthritis!)

Exercise is important because the more muscle you have around the arthritic joint, the more support the joint has which lessens the discomfort and pain.

Try to keep her weight low...like on the very low end of their healthy weight range. Because Less weight = less stress on the joints. And less joint stress is better for the treatment of arthritis.

So, for example, Suka's healthy weight range is between 76-78 pounds. The last time he was weighed, he was almost 76 pounds. I wish he was smaller so I could weigh him at home - that would be ideal to keep track of his weight on a weekly basis.

Not sure if I said this, but Glucosamine supplements (with MSM) help a lot with the daily managing. The kind I use is "Vermont Naturals: Hip + Joint XL", and it works really well. The glucosamine takes atleast 4 weeks to 'kick in'.

I don't mean to scare you but just some information so you don't freak out like I did: dogs can get arthritic flare-ups where the pain is so intense they can't even get up or stand. In cases like that, anti-inflammatory meds (I use Deramaxx - half a tablet) are extremely helpful.

Environmental conditions affect how many and how intense the flare-ups can be. Example: Humidity is known to cause more daily pain and more intense flare-ups for both people and animals. If you are travelling by car or something, a great change in altitude (ex: 1000+ feet) can cause a flare-up. Also, if they are kept in one position for too long (crate or in the car) that can also trigger a flare-up. Cold weather can increase the pain.

(I know what factors increase arthritis pain because my Dad has arthritis everywhere in his body. So, I know if Dad's hurting than Suka's hurting...so then I know to go easier on him because Suka hides his pain so well.)

Didn't mean to drown you in information, haha, but I think its best to be prepared...

EDIT: Just saw your question about blood in stools. I honestly don't know why it can happen, it's just a possibility. Suka didn't have it.

Edited by SolitaryHowl

swimming's fine, its actually the recommended exercise for dogs with joint problems, a 5 minute swim is the equivalent to a 5 mile run (or something like that) but the dog puts no weight or stress on the joint. It also builds muscle which supports the joint, very important for dogs with HD as the better the support around the joint = the less stress on the joint itself and less chance of a hip replacement being necessary :) If you are using your own pool though be careful not to overdo it and dont let her jump in or out

fingers and paws crossed for a good outcome

Thanks Sid, she loves nothing more than to swim, and will spend as much time as possible in the pool. We will just have to work something out about getting in and out - she refuses to use the ramp my husband built for them.

@Rosemary

Yeah, that sounds how Suka behaves. He has trouble getting up and moving, but once he does, he's okay. Afterwards, though, he's sore and doesn't want to be bothered (he growls at me if I pet him anywhere).

My vet recommended swimming as the best exercise one can do (dogs and people) for arthritis, although it still should be limited (like don't do laps or anything!). Swimming is a very low/no impact exercise (like biking is for people) so it puts less pressure and stress on the joints. Swimming is also great cardio, so it keeps their heart strong and circulation great.

You can still take her for walks, but the walks have to be slower, controlled (no pulling), and preferably on a soft surface (ie: dirt or mud, or grass, as opposed to concrete.). Also, make sure to start out slowly and then build up to a speed that is only slightly less than your normal walking pace. Afterwards, cool down her muscles, go gradually from your current speed to the speed you started out the walk with (slow), so she doesn't get any cramps. Cramps would (probably) discourage her from exercising - a bad thing with arthritis!)

Exercise is important because the more muscle you have around the arthritic joint, the more support the joint has which lessens the discomfort and pain.

Try to keep her weight low...like on the very low end of their healthy weight range. Because Less weight = less stress on the joints. And less joint stress is better for the treatment of arthritis.

So, for example, Suka's healthy weight range is between 76-78 pounds. The last time he was weighed, he was almost 76 pounds. I wish he was smaller so I could weigh him at home - that would be ideal to keep track of his weight on a weekly basis.

Not sure if I said this, but Glucosamine supplements (with MSM) help a lot with the daily managing. The kind I use is "Vermont Naturals: Hip + Joint XL", and it works really well. The glucosamine takes atleast 4 weeks to 'kick in'.

I don't mean to scare you but just some information so you don't freak out like I did: dogs can get arthritic flare-ups where the pain is so intense they can't even get up or stand. In cases like that, anti-inflammatory meds (I use Deramaxx - half a tablet) are extremely helpful.

Environmental conditions affect how many and how intense the flare-ups can be. Example: Humidity is known to cause more daily pain and more intense flare-ups for both people and animals. If you are travelling by car or something, a great change in altitude (ex: 1000+ feet) can cause a flare-up. Also, if they are kept in one position for too long (crate or in the car) that can also trigger a flare-up. Cold weather can increase the pain.

(I know what factors increase arthritis pain because my Dad has arthritis everywhere in his body. So, I know if Dad's hurting than Suka's hurting...so then I know to go easier on him because Suka hides his pain so well.)

Didn't mean to drown you in information, haha, but I think its best to be prepared...

EDIT: Just saw your question about blood in stools. I honestly don't know why it can happen, it's just a possibility. Suka didn't have it.

Thank you Elyse, this has been incredibly helpful :) I googled the Vermont Pet Naturals and there is a supplier not far from us (found on Gumtree of all places). I have sent them an e-mail, and hope to hear from them soon.

Sorry to hear this Rosemary :(

Dogs are definitely never too young to get HD, also it's not only inherited, her parents good have both had OFA excellent scores, HD is mostly environmental. If she was jumping too much as a puppy, running to much, ect. Is there a different vet you can go to for a 2nd opinion? Bloody stools are never good :( Poor Micah

Let me know what they say, eh Rosemary?

I pack an 'arthritis kit' where I have things for emergencies whenever Suka has a painful flare-up. Things like: Deramaxx (anti-inflammatory) and peanut butter (I hide the deramaxx tablet in a 'ball' of peanut butter because Suka doesn't like eating the tablets by themselves.).

Also Cheeze Whiz (a cheese spread) is kept in the fridge. This is used because, for whatever reason, Suka sometimes doesn't like peanut butter.

The joint supplements can be expensive - I pay $30 for a bag, so that's $1 a tablet!

I get the 'XL' one because Suka is over 75 pounds (more in the tablets) and he takes 2 a day. So 1 package lasts half a month, roughly.

I don't think I commented on this, but a hip replacement won't help very much because the arthritis will probably develop in her other joints. Suka's starting to get arthritis in one of his front legs, too.

I hope things work out, and I know what you're going through! :)

aw, Rosemary, poor Micah! It's a bit much for a vet to expect you to wait at least another 4 weeks because their x-ray machine is broken, though, I was out of my mind when Myshka had to wait 4 days for a working x-ray machine when she hurt her back! There have been some great ideas & answers here, too, especially from those who know what Micah could be experiencing. All my thoughts & prayers are for her to have a speedy recovery & not have something long term that may inhibit her huskiness! xx

aw, Rosemary, poor Micah! It's a bit much for a vet to expect you to wait at least another 4 weeks because their x-ray machine is broken, though, I was out of my mind when Myshka had to wait 4 days for a working x-ray machine when she hurt her back! There have been some great ideas & answers here, too, especially from those who know what Micah could be experiencing. All my thoughts & prayers are for her to have a speedy recovery & not have something long term that may inhibit her huskiness! xx

Thanks Val, that this is happening to Micah just breaks my heart. She is the husky that runs outside in the morning and greets the new day by leaping in the air as if to say 'hello world - here I am', and then does a few husky laps around the garden. I seriously hope her exuberance and love for life is not affected by this - but we will do everything we can to make sure life stays good for her.

Edited by Rosemary
Typos :(