how many of you let ur sibe off the lead ?

reeno

i was just wondering as i no alot off people keep there dog on the lead, i dont and mine is now very very good atualy much better than alot of the dogs that go to the park near me , alot of people say how nice it is to see a husky off the lead and being able to play.

i no most of them say when they see a husky on the lead coming towards them they will usually walk anouther way round because they feel intimedated by them (not that it is true but as they do look a bit like wolves lol ) theres a few parks were i go and one of them has anouther 2 huskys who normaly walk there and both of the lead and they are also very good of the lead i was just wondering how many of you do let them off and how you get on ?

also i would like to add that were i do let him off it is a completly safe area and i wouldnt do so if i thort he wouldnt come back, it took alot of hard work and determination to get him were he is today.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I let Cally off the leash in school fields and stuff that don't have fencing also at the dog park that is just a bunch of forest and a few fields but no fencing... not alot of people do let their huskies off lead.. I wouldn't let her off in an area that has roads or cars very close by. The one school field is fairly large and has a large field beside it- and this has only happened occasionally and only with either my friends dogs or my pug- they always come back

Not on purpose anyway!

I do let her off in our own gardens where she's quite content. Never around public areas, they're quite strict on that here and I wouldn't trust her 100%.

On another note, my neighbours have a German Shep, they don't really care what people say - he wanders around our area by himself - scares me a little!

I used to have a walk I could let mine off on. It was a good two hours that took us over fields through woodland and across a river. But Safi became untrustworthy so I don't let them off anylonger as she would just lead them all to Aberdeen. Now we use the confined off lead areas we've found on our travels. It's good, but nowhere near as enjoyable as actually walking with your dog following along

I let Juno off lead at the dog park. The fences are not 6 feet around the park, more like 4&1/2, but she won't jump them. It's not fun for her to be tied up next to me, because she enjoys chasing and playing. She gets really nervous when she can't see me, so I don't think she would run away.

When it comes to the backyard, we have a 6+ foot wire fence that she doesn't try to escape from, so she gets free reign of it. On walks I don't let her off lead, because its far too dangerous. It's not that she will run off and I'll never see her again, but she may wander a little and get hit by a car, or chase the ducks into the pond or find some little kid to love on.

We let ours off lead daily,always have,but we are lucky to have an exceptional area,safe from traffic and livestock etc,and fairly well enclosed.I would not let them off anywhere near roads / traffic or anywhere I consider dangerous.They have never just mindlessly run off,but they will chase birds,rabbits etc,and go deaf occasionally.As the area we use is safe,they can have their fun,and its ok.Having said that,they go so far and just run back,they always keep us in sight,and check where we are.I do not worry anymore about them running away.What I read about huskies off lead,scares me more than anything they have ever done.All huskies are individuals,with varying amounts of energy etc,so nothing is ever black or white.

There are enough threads around here where huskies suddenly got lost and some did never even came back. These owners once thought the same, that they probably had an husky that was an exception to the rule, or that as long as they are only let them off in safe areas where nothing has happened before it should be fine. I'm not sure about anyone else, but even if I would let my huskies off lead, reading this threads would immediately change my mind.

I don't let mine off unless in a secure enclosed area. I thought i may be able to get Skye off the lead due to her being half German shepherd but the more I thought about it the more i decided against it! Her prey drive is higher than shadows who is full husky lol!!

I used to let Shadow off as a puppy but hes far to independent now and they both enjoy their walks on the lead and i have extendible leads for more freedom!

Never put 100% trust in that your husky will always come back. In my opinion if they are off lead and they see prey or another dog and run for it and you can't call them away from the distraction, then they shouldn't be off lead unless in a secure park.

I'm already sad to accept that my life span is longer than my dogs - I'm not about to shorten it further.

My girl has exceptional recall in the dog park, ask my friend Sinead, in fact, most of the time she walks to heel off the lead, but I would never risk her life in an open space because I love her too much. It's not cruel or mean to keep them on a lead and there are ways around it with long lines etc. Aleu has a 30ft lead and she does scootering with me so she gets more exercise than the average pet.

Stacey xxx

Smokey used to be a completely off leash dog. I'd take him for walks through busy streets. He knew to sit (and I swear even look both ways) before crossing. He used to run free in the park across our house (no fencing) that had a streets on all sides of it. He used to go on hikes off leash with bunnies crossing the trail right in front of him. Almost everything we did was off leash. So much so that I've nearly been cited a couple times for allowing him to do that...Zeeva was off leash as well. Since the move, I can't trust them any more...

[MENTION=8866]reeno[/MENTION] May I suggest you do a search for previous threads about off lead huskies. This is a topic that comes back regularly and almost always ends up bad with an argument. There will be a lot of reading for you on previous threads. Also, if you do any research about huskies, mostly rescue organizations...you will see that they all recommend to never let your husky off lead. The pawpack are certainly an exception, but i don't think even they "walk" their dogs on the street or in a city environment with out leads. It will always be a risk.

he can be off lead in our fenced in backyard or the local fenced in dog park.

I would never trust Luka off lead anywhere else. Luka already ignores my commands enough as it is, but even if he was better trained i still would NEVER risk it. he's my baby and i don't want to risk losing him.

I never let Asha off leash.

She got out of the house once and it was such a pain in the butt to get her back!!

At the dog park I do. They have two gates and a HUGE fence usually. But there is another dog park with a regular 4 foot fence that she jumped one time (luckily she stopped to see another dog). So we don't go there anymore.

only in enclosed areas

i know one person who lost a husky (it was only 12months old ) while it was offlead a few years ago never got him back he has another one now and he still lets it offlead where ever when ever some people will always think there husky is an exception and will never learn xx