how many of you let ur sibe off the lead ?

reeno

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No never...no enclosed area where I live either...but then run them enough when the weather is cold enough and walk up to 2,5 hrs a day with them and then if they want to they can run around the garden and act like maniacs there.....

i was just wondering as i no alot off people keep there dog on the lead, i dont and mine is now very very good atualy much better than alot of the dogs that go to the park near me , alot of people say how nice it is to see a husky off the lead and being able to play.

i no most of them say when they see a husky on the lead coming towards them they will usually walk anouther way round because they feel intimedated by them (not that it is true but as they do look a bit like wolves lol ) theres a few parks were i go and one of them has anouther 2 huskys who normaly walk there and both of the lead and they are also very good of the lead i was just wondering how many of you do let them off and how you get on ?

also i would like to add that were i do let him off it is a completly safe area and i wouldnt do so if i thort he wouldnt come back, it took alot of hard work and determination to get him were he is today.

@reeno have you been to Bedfont Lakes? We go there at 8 on Sundays and variable times on Saturdays depending on work. There is a great offlead area and some lakes for a swim

If you'll look at some of the threads about off leash dogs from about a year ago you'll find that I'm one of those people "who had the exception" I kick myself regularly and pray that where ever she is now is good for her.

I have two, both are good about being off lead for very short times - long enough for me to transfer from walking leash to lead at the house but neither of them are ever off lead where I can't reach down and grab quickly if I have to. Avalanche (mixed breed "Alaskan Husky") is good about recall, he's gotten loose a couple of times but either immediately comes back when called or waits for me to catch up with him - at which point he goes back on lead. I've had to get the Jeep out with Sasha (Sibe) once - she *NEVER* comes off lead/leash!

As has been said - all it takes is one time with these dogs, to see a rabbit or a puff of air and they're gone. It's simply not worth the heartache!

Mine are never aloud off the lead unless it is a fully enclosed area with at least a 7 foot fence. Someone I know had a 6 year old husky who had 100% recall until one day she decided she saw something in the distance and was gone, never to be seen again.

Why risk it? Put your dog on a 50ft lead, and be careful. What happens if they stray too far, get distracted, and run out into traffic.

This past summer, we let Embry off in what we thought was completely fenced, because they said the area was. Turns out someone left a gate on the other side of the park again and I almost watched my dog get hit by 5+ cars. It was absolutely terrifying. It's not worth it to me at all, I'd rather have my dogs be safe.

My dogs are let off lead every day for 45min-1 hour at the dog park which has 6 ft fences all around and they can't get out.

I know this topic has been done to death but as it's friendly so far....

NEVER NEVER NEVER will any husky I own be off-lead. I don't disagree that they can be taught to recall - but it's a fleeting obedience. I just don't trust them, and once they take-off they'll cover a lot of ground very quickly. Sadly, the thing most likely to make them stop is a car. I never want to be in a situation where I have to scrape my dog off the road because I thought I knew better than the majority of husky owners who stress that the dogs need to be on lead.

8ft solid fences, always on lead, 'airlock' front door, etc.... Those are just some of the downsides to owning a sibe. Not optional, just are. If people want an off-lead dog they need to look at a different breed.

*Please note: I know this is an emotive subject. No offence intended and the above reflects my personal opinion. Thanks.*

Yes in a safe and enclosed environment with no risk of traffic or livestock. No everywhere else. I'm lucky I can let him off daily in areas which are safe to do so.

You just have to bare in mind that they have such a high prey drive - this is the one thing that you can't train or control. Luka is very good for the most part, but if that cow is across a 4 lane motorway, he will run across to get that cow, without looking left or right ;)

I know this topic has been done to death but as it's friendly so far....

NEVER NEVER NEVER will any husky I own be off-lead. I don't disagree that they can be taught to recall - but it's a fleeting obedience. I just don't trust them, and once they take-off they'll cover a lot of ground very quickly. Sadly, the thing most likely to make them stop is a car. I never want to be in a situation where I have to scrape my dog off the road because I thought I knew better than the majority of husky owners who stress that the dogs need to be on lead.

8ft solid fences, always on lead, 'airlock' front door, etc.... Those are just some of the downsides to owning a sibe. Not optional, just are. If people want an off-lead dog they need to look at a different breed.

*Please note: I know this is an emotive subject. No offence intended and the above reflects my personal opinion. Thanks.*

well.said.

Each to their own, at your responsibility, and on your head be it if something goes wrong. Prey drive etc. Enough forum members have had bad experiences / lost a dog - do you REALLY want to risk it? (I know of some people who let their Sibes off pretty much anywhere), but for us, off lead in a SECURE area ONLY, as I said when I mentioned Bedfont Lakes. Or just use a *really* long lead which is *almost* freedom for the furbies. The security of this place can be verified by a number of 'southern' members, including one of our moderators

we let loki off lead but only where there is a big grass area like football pitch size, he is amazing for recall, but we have worked on it in dog class, if i didnt go there i wouldnt have the confidence i do now with him

So did Glala. She was great in class. She listened to everything perfectly, had the same amazing recall. Until one day, something clicked and she ran off. No sign beforehand, no warnings. She was asked to come, and decided to run the other direction for no clear reason. Until this day, she's still doing the exact same thing no matter what. Ruth was lucky it happened in a enclosed area, otherwise Glala would've been a goner. Don't let yourself get fooled by her recall. That's exactly the scary thing about huskies, they are know to suddenly run of, regardless of what reason, or how great their recall was up until now.

So did Glala. She was great in class. She listened to everything perfectly, had the same amazing recall. Until one day, something clicked and she ran off. No sign beforehand, no warnings. She was asked to come, and decided to run the other direction for no clear reason. Until this day, she's still doing the exact same thing no matter what. Ruth was lucky it happened in a enclosed area, otherwise Glala would've been a goner. Don't let yourself get fooled by her recall. That's exactly the scary thing about huskies, they are know to suddenly run of, regardless of what reason, or how great their recall was up until now.

know what your saying.... i do have doubts, never let him off near any roads etc only in enclosed spaces and at the beach where we know hes safe, so he cant get anywhere, me an my partner have both said that we'll need to stop letting him off at some point as we both know his prey drive will kick in,

know what your saying.... i do have doubts, never let him off near any roads etc only in enclosed spaces and at the beach where we know hes safe, so he cant get anywhere, me an my partner have both said that we'll need to stop letting him off at some point as we both know his prey drive will kick in,

Friend of mine just got her dog (not a husky btw) back after 4 days missing her. She was at the beach, playing with a stick but the wind probably prevented her from hearing her owner. She ran back looking for her owner and she was only found 4 days later running around in the dunes. This is really they worst thing that can ever happen to a dog owner. Not even knowing if she's still alive or not. The owner was in complete distress :(

Family member nearly lost her dog on the beach too for the exact same reason. But I guess you'll get the idea now. I don't want to push my opinion on you, it's up to you to decide what to do with it. But please don't think lightly about it, it's after all a life you're deciding about.

A Gamekeeper once told me "If your dog gets lost when you are out don't leave the place where you and your dog where together last". " He or she will find there way back to look for you". How true this is I don't know...........Ron

We have always had ours (3 in the past, one now) trained to be off leash and “come” (most of the time) on command. We walk to the park from out home every day during the summer and during the winter (no slakes) we hike the hills.

I have found that once they know the area well, even if they get spooked they will find their way home, or few times were waiting nearby at the path I always take home.

If we are in an unfamiliar setting, we will have them off leash (if safe & minimal humans) but keep a close eye on them. We lost one in the high mountains, in the snow for about half hour. It was a frightful experience; thankfully she found her way back to the truck and was waiting for us. She was as unset as my wife and I were!

John

I used to have mine off-leash a lot. She did dash in a crazy direction on rare occasion and we'd have to chase her, but I didn't think it was a big deal. She was usually running to my best friend's house. Then, one day I was walking home and I saw a dead husky in the street behind my house (hit & run), my whole world stopped as I ran to it, thinking it was Anya... after that, never ever again do I let her off leash. Not even worth a 1% risk.

I trained my Nanuk to be off lead and come when called, usually by the third call :/. I also use snapping fingers and clapping, clapping is like "come" now and snapping "come now!". They are only off lead at the baseball park next to home, which is basically an open area... but they have an imaginary boundry of not crossing the street and staying in my field of view at all times. Shiro picked up very quickly, I got her at 1yr of age, and pretty much understands the rules. The only times I do this is when the park is empty and there are no games going on, people and children have a misconception of the breed here and tend to thing that they agressive when all they want is to play.

Although, I haven't been able to take them to the park since it's been over run by ticks :@

I only let Akira off in 2 places that's the disused school field with the high railings all the way round , and the second place is a stretch of woodland that's kind of enclosed , I'm always calling her when she gets beyond 5 meters she stops looks at me then returns to me then we repeat this process over and over again, I'm quite comfortable with letting her off only in these 2 places though .

• 2 weeks later...

IMO if you know the area, and you know your dog, then its ok.

I took mine off leash since he was 6 months, its been a year now. But... im always carefull with the environment and energy, huskies are a dogs dog after all, and not matter what dogs can never be 100% trustworthy, even though i trust mine 99% of the time, that 1% could prove bad.

I live in a very urban area, lots of cars, lots of roads, lots of people and small children, but also lots of fenced fields (albeit with many opening and entrances).

oo

Atm, i take him to the back of a nearby highschool as part of our walk. But im always aware of other dogs, and children, for the most part hes good with them, but there is always that 1%. Sometime there are even a crowd of teenagers before and after school, and he runs up to them and they all love him, but for the most part the field is empty (aside from geese, and their poop:@, although ive taught him to stop eating goose poop) and he just runs and runs and every time i call him, he runs back, sits in front of me and i kiss him a thousand times lol, he loves it.

You just gotta gotta know your dog, and know the environment/situation, then plan and account for unforseen events.

Also, i dont know how you guys exercise your dogs without letting em run off leash, mine doesn't get tired, cant imagine only walking him.