how many of you let ur sibe off the lead ?

reeno

I find it very interesting that whenever this topic comes up it is always only about "YOUR" dog. What about the owners that are walking their dogs onlead and your offlead dog approaches them, drives the dog onlead bananas, or scares a kid or adult with that dog and causes havoc and possibly injury. We have a path and field behind our house and one day one of those little offlead ankle biters are going to stick their nose under the fence a little too far when Jessy or Jack is running inside the yard and it's going to get grabbed, pulled in the yard, and possibly hurt or worse. Then what? Was it worth it? I wish this conversation would just go away.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But why would a responsible owner allow their dogs to do those things? I would never let my dogs rush up to or even greet other dogs or people without my permission which would be rare. People who allow off leash dogs to do those things are irresponsible and are one of my biggest peeves with other owners. But it's got nothing to do with people who responsibly have their dogs off leash and under effective control.

Only my male Echo he goes off lead in the yard, dog park, on walks anywhere, and when riding in back truck. We are slowly training our two puppies, Larka and Meeka, to stay in yard off lead. They are only 14 weeks, Larka takes after her father Echo and is doing well but Meeka is takeing after her mother Cherokee. Cherokee I would never, she got out once and she wouldnt come back. Demon climbs fences no matter how high but she always stays in my parents yard or comes down to our house (which is 1/4 mile away). Bear opens gates so everything must be kept locked. He is a no. He got out once and my fiance had to track him for 2 days and finally found him laying tired and hungry. That was the only way he caught him and got him home to my fiance brother. So to me it depends on the dogs personality and what you want to do : )

But why would a responsible owner allow their dogs to do those things? I would never let my dogs rush up to or even greet other dogs or people without my permission which would be rare. People who allow off leash dogs to do those things are irresponsible and are one of my biggest peeves with other owners. But it's got nothing to do with people who responsibly have their dogs off leash and under effective control.

The city has a leash law, so as far as I'm concerned, the guy playing catch with his lab in the field behind my house, or the lady walking her two pomeranians while she is on her phone, and they are off lead are not responsible....and if they blantantly think it's okay to "break the law" because their dog is never going to get out of control, because nothing, like my 3 going stir crazy behind the fence will distract them, then irresponsible is the least of the issue. This happens on a regular basis...then there's the kids that want to jump the fence to get their ball that they didn't catch and it landed in my yard. Good way to catch a beebee in your arse on your way out....

IMO if you know the area, and you know your dog, then its ok.

I took mine off leash since he was 6 months, its been a year now. But... im always carefull with the environment and energy, huskies are a dogs dog after all, and not matter what dogs can never be 100% trustworthy, even though i trust mine 99% of the time, that 1% could prove bad.

I live in a very urban area, lots of cars, lots of roads, lots of people and small children, but also lots of fenced fields (albeit with many opening and entrances).

oo

Atm, i take him to the back of a nearby highschool as part of our walk. But im always aware of other dogs, and children, for the most part hes good with them, but there is always that 1%. Sometime there are even a crowd of teenagers before and after school, and he runs up to them and they all love him, but for the most part the field is empty (aside from geese, and their poop:@, although ive taught him to stop eating goose poop) and he just runs and runs and every time i call him, he runs back, sits in front of me and i kiss him a thousand times lol, he loves it.

You just gotta gotta know your dog, and know the environment/situation, then plan and account for unforseen events.

Also, i dont know how you guys exercise your dogs without letting em run off leash, mine doesn't get tired, cant imagine only walking him.

its that 1% that scares me

and there is always 100ft leads. And scooters and bikes.

I find it very interesting that whenever this topic comes up it is always only about "YOUR" dog. What about the owners that are walking their dogs onlead and your offlead dog approaches them' date=' drives the dog onlead bananas, or scares a kid or adult with that dog and causes havoc and possibly injury. We have a path and field behind our house and one day one of those little offlead ankle biters are going to stick their nose under the fence a little too far when Jessy or Jack is running inside the yard and it's going to get grabbed, pulled in the yard, and possibly hurt or worse. Then what? Was it worth it? I wish this conversation would just go away.[/quote']

That! I couldn't agree more mine have been attacked by offlead dogs so now go crazy when an offlead dog is running around I actually got abuse off one dog owner because blaze growled at their dog despite the fact mine were all on leads n if their dog behaved in the first place blaze would have ignored it , owners like that who just let their dog approach n couldn't care less do my head in

U don't know if the on lead dog is on lead for a reason, be it aggressive , injured (short on lead walks after an operation) old . Bad back , blind etc it's just bad manners for owner and dog to behave that way!

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

The city has a leash law, so as far as I'm concerned, the guy playing catch with his lab in the field behind my house, or the lady walking her two pomeranians while she is on her phone, and they are off lead are not responsible....and if they blantantly think it's okay to "break the law" because their dog is never going to get out of control, because nothing, like my 3 going stir crazy behind the fence will distract them, then irresponsible is the least of the issue. This happens on a regular basis...then there's the kids that want to jump the fence to get their ball that they didn't catch and it landed in my yard. Good way to catch a beebee in your arse on your way out....

I am the first to admit that I have let my dogs off leash outside of off leash areas. No it's not ideal to break leash laws, but my dogs only go off leash because I train for an exceptionally high level of reliability and they would not be off leash if they weren't under effective control. They are never allowed to approach other people or dogs and actually aren't interested in doing so when I'm working with them.

The alternative is to go to fenced dog parks which I actively avoid because I come across far more dangerous and out of control dogs in fenced parks than anywhere else - people seem to think that because it's fenced, they don't need to have effective control of their dog. I'd rather risk copping a fine training and exercising my dogs off leash than risk their safety and well being by taking them to a fenced dog park.

• 2 weeks later...

That! I couldn't agree more mine have been attacked by offlead dogs so now go crazy when an offlead dog is running around I actually got abuse off one dog owner because blaze growled at their dog despite the fact mine were all on leads n if their dog behaved in the first place blaze would have ignored it , owners like that who just let their dog approach n couldn't care less do my head in

U don't know if the on lead dog is on lead for a reason, be it aggressive , injured (short on lead walks after an operation) old . Bad back , blind etc it's just bad manners for owner and dog to behave that way!

I agree with this too.

Suka's leash agressive, so whenever an off-lead dog approaches him, he goes insane and growls/snarls at the dog. Then I get crap from the owner - even though I was being the responsible one and NOT disobeying the leash laws. When he's off lead (only at the dog park), he's absolutely fine.

Leash laws are there for a reason: to protect the general public (a car swerving to avoid hitting a dog can result in a deadly accident), to protect other dogs, and to protect your dog.

I don't know why people have such a hard time with that concept.

Rusty is the only one I would trust off lead in a dire emergency. We have let his lead go on rare occasions and he came straight toward me. He is also the only one who listens consistently too. I worry that they would run off. I would prolly die if my babies ran off.

I agree with this too.

Suka's leash agressive, so whenever an off-lead dog approaches him, he goes insane and growls/snarls at the dog. Then I get crap from the owner - even though I was being the responsible one and NOT disobeying the leash laws. When he's off lead (only at the dog park), he's absolutely fine.

Leash laws are there for a reason: to protect the general public (a car swerving to avoid hitting a dog can result in a deadly accident), to protect other dogs, and to protect your dog.

I don't know why people have such a hard time with that concept.

I completely agree. Whether you 'want' to leash your dog or not is not your choice, if its the law you should abide by it. Laws aren't there because people are 'bored', they're there to protect you, your dog, and most of all OTHER people who could be injured. Like someone swerving as Solitary said.

I find it very interesting that whenever this topic comes up it is always only about "YOUR" dog. What about the owners that are walking their dogs onlead and your offlead dog approaches them, drives the dog onlead bananas, or scares a kid or adult with that dog and causes havoc and possibly injury. We have a path and field behind our house and one day one of those little offlead ankle biters are going to stick their nose under the fence a little too far when Jessy or Jack is running inside the yard and it's going to get grabbed, pulled in the yard, and possibly hurt or worse. Then what? Was it worth it? I wish this conversation would just go away.

And again, I completely agree. This subject is becoming weary. If you want to argue that your dog is in 'perfect control' and that you don't have to abide by the leash law, thats fine. But please stop bringing it up here, its obvious that no ones mind is going to change and that nothing good will come from these conversations.

I am not a fan of these topics. If you're looking at a Siberian you should be willing to accept the pros as well as the cons of the breed. Being off lead is not a strong point neither is their recall by nature. If you want to risk losing your Siberian that is your prerogative, I myself will continue to choose to only allow mine off lead in their secure fenced play yard.

I've only let Sophie off lead a couple times and that was when she was a puppy. She'd just follow Maya and I everywhere and always came when called. Even if she did run off I could easily catch her since she ran so slow as a pup. I don't let any of them off now, a 100ft lead is enough room for them to roam. Maya is so happy on a long lead and I'm happy that she can run around and be safe at the same time.

I had a toy Australian shepherd that I always let off in the park close to my house. But he was the only dog I would trust of leash because he could care less of other dogs and squirrels. He stayed by my side the whole time.

I take my dog to the local woods most days where he runs off lead, his recall is zero but he is always looking to see where i am. He never goes to far from me unless he chasing deer ( flushed 2 out the other day) but i just wait for a few minutes and he comes back. Ok one day i might come unstuck and does not come back but he is chipped and has a name tag on,but with this breed they need a good run. By the way its the only place he goes off lead, because the size of the area

Nope. No off lead for Raya, which makes me sad seeing other dogs running around etc, but for the husky off-lead it's a different matter. There is someone who walks their husky off-lead near me and it's quite obedient. However it's not for me as I worry too much about Raya running off after something suddenly.... she has a nice long lead to charge around on.

I don't think she would come back if called as she has a high prey drive and is always sniffing for something. The odd times I have dropped the lead she has wondered what to do and thankfully hasn't bolted. She did, however, escape from the back door earlier this year, ran into the road and was hit by a car, which was going at a very very slow speed. If it wasn't it would have been the end......which is far far too painful to comprehend.

It would be fab to go to a small off-lead securely enclosed area that I could take her - but she isn't so chummy with a lot of dogs so that would be another issue I suppose !!! :rolleyes:

Like I think I said before...threads like this annoy me and make me angry. Why would you want to risk losing your dog? Your husky is not the exception to the rule - everybody who had thought that ended up losing their dog...like many members on here.

But, do what you want. In the end, your dog will be the one to suffer. I just hope none of you come on here posting in the Rainbow Bridge saying your husky never came back to you (even though they 'always' do!) and got run over, because then I will be VERY tempted to say, "I TOLD YOU SO!" :@

Know the breed and keep them on-lead! If you can't handle that, don't get a freakin' husky!!!

I take my dog to the local woods most days where he runs off lead' date=' his recall is zero but he is always looking to see where i am. He never goes to far from me unless he chasing deer ( flushed 2 out the other day) but i just wait for a few minutes and he comes back. Ok one day i might come unstuck and does not come back but he is chipped and has a name tag on,but with this breed they need a good run. By the way its the only place he goes off lead, because the size of the area[/quote']

He might be chipped and have a name tag but that doesn't mean you'll get him back alive, harsh my words might seem but it's true, uve said his recall is zero so why let him off? Why not train a recall , get a 100ft lead to exercise him on take him for a run on a bike or get a dog scooter? Better ways to exercise a dog imo then letting him offlead specially when he has no recall, your very brave I hope nothing happens to him

Edited by BingBlaze'n'Skyla

I take my dog to the local woods most days where he runs off lead' date=' his recall is zero but he is always looking to see where i am. He never goes to far from me unless he chasing deer ( flushed 2 out the other day) but i just wait for a few minutes and he comes back. Ok one day i might come unstuck and does not come back but he is chipped and has a name tag on,but with this breed they need a good run. By the way its the only place he goes off lead, because the size of the area[/quote']

im sorry, his recall is zero but u let him offlead anyways?

even if he is chipped and tagged that wont make a blind bit of difference.

I find your actions irresponsible.

• 3 weeks later...

I would never let Storm off. The couple of times he has pulled the lead from my hand, he has come straight back, but this is more because he hasn't had time to consider his options. He has an 8m extandable lead, and plays happily on the park with other dogs on this, as long as they are not on the lead so as to get tangled. Before getting Storm, I knew I would have to keep him on the lead - it goes with the territory of husky ownership in my opinion.

We have a fairly large securely fenced property for ours to run and romp on. That being said, when we're off property they are always, and without exception, on a lead. We live in a rural area that is chock full of all sorts of wild critters that would spark curiosity as well as prey drive. One chipmunk, one gopher, one deer and our Sibes would be gone in a flash. We have moose come to the swampy areas around the slough at the edge of our small community and I cringe and hesitate to imagine what a husky allowed off-lead would look like after being stomped senseless by one of these beasts.

Know the breed and keep them on-lead! If you can't handle that, don't get a freakin' husky!!!

I completely agree. Huskies are born and bred to run like the wind, and my personal experience has failed to convince me that several weeks or even months of recall training is going to COMPLETELY negate and undo GENERATIONS of hard-coded genetics.