Question of the day

Stranger

having played both Rugby Union and American football and that includes playing against US forces here in Europe. I can say that American football is not a patch on Rugby we played against US Forces teams at both sports and for me the American version is too closeted, a player spends hardly any time acually playing, at least with rugby a player is on the pitch for the whole game. I used to wear less body armour whilst in a combat zone than in an American football game but was more likely to be injured playing in fact whilst I had five tours in Northern Ireland, 1 tour in the Falklands and a short tour with the British mission in East Germany the only time i was hospitalised was as a result of playing rugby. There is a reason so many British Doctors play rugby they regard it as a job creation scheme. that said I enjoyed playing both games and found them both superior to Football/Soccer.

rugby is violent no doubt lol it's a lot more risky than us/football

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yeah it was normal to come off the field with at least one injury, but then I did play in the scrum

Broken noses and "cauliflower ears" seem to be the most common rugby traits caused from injury I can remember off hand. Sounds painful!

Isn't it an organized version of people cometing against each other to be the strongest / fastest etc which presumably came from the time when we were hunters & warriors? The best would become the leader of the tribe / clan assuming there was no hereditary system in place

Isn't it an organized version of people cometing against each other to be the strongest / fastest etc which presumably came from the time when we were hunters & warriors? The best would become the leader of the tribe / clan assuming there was no hereditary system in place

oo thats an interesting thought....and would be the most likely answer....i enjoy watching some sports but have never felt that bothered about it...one of those things i cuold and would live without lol

why do we have dogs and cats....wouldnt the most likely pet of been a monkey or chimp?

i have a question of the day of my own if toni doesnt mind.

why does crappy things happen to nice people?

No no ask away this is for everyone to ask questions they dont know the answers to :)

I believe -

because when crappy things happen to bad people no ones cares because their bad people and its seen as a good thing.

when crappy things happen to good people it seems like a suprise because they dont deserve it.

the way i look at it is if it was meant to be it would be...

:)

No no ask away this is for everyone to ask questions they dont know the answers to :)

I believe -

because when crappy things happen to bad people no ones cares because their bad people and its seen as a good thing.

when crappy things happen to good people it seems like a suprise because they dont deserve it.

the way i look at it is if it was meant to be it would be...

:)

maybe, *shrugs* doesnt stop the pain of what happens though

maybe, *shrugs* doesnt stop the pain of what happens though

No, no i dont suppose it does, but who knows, the reason could of been a couple of things..

Angel and her could of had a really bad fight, not only hurting themselves but others

Allegra maybe needed else where

there may be another dog/bitch needing a home really badly that would fit in perfectly with you.

im one of those who thinks there is a reason for everything no matter how unfair they may be

No, no i dont suppose it does, but who knows, the reason could of been a couple of things..

Angel and her could of had a really bad fight, not only hurting themselves but others

Allegra maybe needed else where

there may be another dog/bitch needing a home really badly that would fit in perfectly with you.

im one of those who thinks there is a reason for everything no matter how unfair they may be

maybe oneday i too can think like that. atm. no i cant do it :(

I think it's not that bad things to good people all the time I think we tend to focus more on the bad stuff then we do on the good so it feels like nothing bad happens , trust me I know with everything that's happened to us my mum used to say if there was no such thing as bad luck we wouldn't get any luck at all

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

I think it's not that bad things to good people all the time I think we tend to focus more on the bad stuff then we do on the good so it feels like nothing bad happens , trust me I know with everything that's happened to us my mum used to say if there was no such thing as bad luck we wouldn't get any luck at all

thats a great saying...might have to nab that one for myself lol

maybe oneday i too can think like that. atm. no i cant do it :(

:grouphug:. I'm not surprised, you were basically forced to choose between your human babies or your furry ones. What kind of a choice is that?! I can empathise with you there, I have a fairly similar family set up: Early 30s, working mum to 2 children and I can imagine to an extent the dilema of knowing what you have to do as a mother versus what you want to do as a pet owner. Knowing a decision was right, doesn't make the feelings of loss or guilt any less strong, your maternal instincts to protect everyone: human or animal are going to overide everything. My main gripe with it all is that you were all put in this situation in the first place. They knew your setup, so surely they should of carried out some form of compatability testing beforehand? I know that sometimes things happen in a home environment that may not present itself in introductory meetings but I wonder if maybe they'd assessed both ladies first, then maybe you could of all been spared from the heartache? I guess it's a bit irrelevant really and dwelling on the past isn't really a good thing but feeling a bit of fight beats the hell out of feeling depressed any day! I hope if any good is to come from this, then they'll learn more about Allegra's individual needs so that she can successfully be rehomed the first time and likewise, you'll now know more about what type of dog is likely to be accepted into your pack and what isn't. Don't let this beat you Louise. Keep fighting and don't give up, you'll get your happy ending eventually! (And we'll all be here to celebrate with you when you do!)

And the answer to your question imo, is that crappy things happen to everyone. It just feels so wrong when it happens to a good person. It's called karma, when it happens to a bad person! lol

Edited by emma1979

:grouphug:. I'm not surprised, you were basically forced to choose between your human babies or your furry ones. What kind of a choice is that?! I can empathise with you there, I have a fairly similar family set up: Early 30s, working mum to 2 children and I can imagine to an extent the dilema of knowing what you have to do as a mother versus what you want to do as a pet owner. Knowing a decision was right, doesn't make the feelings of loss or guilt any less strong, your maternal instincts to protect everyone: human or animal are going to overide everything. My main gripe with it all is that you were all put in this situation in the first place. They knew your setup, so surely they should of carried out some form of compatability testing beforehand? I know that sometimes things happen in a home environment that may not present itself in introductory meetings but I wonder if maybe they'd assessed both ladies first, then maybe you could of all been spared from the heartache? I guess it's a bit irrelevant really and dwelling on the past isn't really a good thing but feeling a bit of fight beats the hell out of feeling depressed any day! I hope if any good is to come from this, then they'll learn more about Allegra's individual needs so that she can successfully be rehomed the first time and likewise, you'll now know more about what type of dog is likely to be accepted into your pack and what isn't. Don't let this beat you Louise. Keep fighting and don't give up, you'll get your happy ending eventually! (And we'll all be here to celebrate with you when you do!)

And the answer to your question imo, is that crappy things happen to everyone. It just feels so wrong when it happens to a good person. It's called karma, when it happens to a bad person! lol

Emma the decision to remove her wasnt mine.

X

oo thats an interesting thought....and would be the most likely answer....i enjoy watching some sports but have never felt that bothered about it...one of those things i cuold and would live without lol

why do we have dogs and cats....wouldnt the most likely pet of been a monkey or chimp?

Dogs - to assist with hunting probably. Maybe also as a warning of *something* wandering too close to your camp. Cats I am not sure (historically speaking) despite having cats for the last 17 odd years. No idea what use a chimp / monkey would be 'back in the day' when we were hunter gatherers though apart from a food source?

Adding on to the dog thing:

Dogs were bred to be good at certain things to help humans, as I'm sure you all know. Herding breeds, like the border collie, were used and still used to help herd livestock and to help protect livestock from predators (coyotes, wolves, etc). The hunting/tracking breeds were used (And still are used) to help humans hunt and track animals.

And I could go on and on.

Without dogs, humans wouldn't have made it very far. They were crucial in agricultural development (farms, ranches, etc) which allowed villages to support more population (food can now be bred from animals or grown from plants instead of foraged or hunted for in the forest).

Right now, although there are exceptions, mostly dogs are for companionship. There are few that still rely on dogs for their livelihood (farmers/ranchers now use guns or other means to defend from predators).

The reason why we haven't used chimps/other apes is because they have been known to snatch and eat human babies or young children. They're also strong and could easily claw your face off, and are vicious in groups. Maybe people had actually attempted to domesticate them, but obviously it didn't work.

Moving on...

about the 'why do bad things happen to good people' thing:

We, as humans, generally focus on and remember more about the good than the bad. I think its a survival mechanism for way long ago, where we would remember not to go to [this place] or do [that] because we would end up getting hurt or killed.

Also, being a sensitive person myself, I find some people love to take advantage of people's vulnerability/sensitivity/shyness for their own gain (either monetary, or to satisfy their own insecurities, etc).

People always remember when we get a wet bank holiday / spoilt BBQ but don't remember when those days were hot...

Bank holidays are always wet lol it's common sense now lol

But yup we never realise all the good things that happen only the bad

I've had a lot ov crap going on lately but I thought ov all the good things that are happening to me n realised I had more good things then bad but I was so focused on the bad that I didn't realise , it instantly lifted my mood

Another question: What is an awesome food from your culture/ethnic background you think everyone should try?

Mine's Poutine (French) and whole wheat penne with meat sauce & meatballs...sprinkled with mozzarella and romano cheese. (Italian)

Another question: What is an awesome food from your culture/ethnic background you think everyone should try?

Mine's Poutine (French) and whole wheat penne with meat sauce & meatballs...sprinkled with mozzarella and romano cheese. (Italian)

southern home cooking. fried chicken, chicken and dumplins, cornbread, greens, and wash it down with a glass of sweet tea :)

God, i love the south lol