Question of the day

Stranger

It gets better than that - the US imperial system is different from the UK one' date=' certainly for gallons, can't remember what else[/quote']

Gallons instead of litres

Miles instead of Km

Inches instead of cm

Feet instead of metres

Fahrenheit instead of Celsius

Acres instead of Hectres

Pounds (lbs) instead of Kg

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gallons instead of litres

Miles instead of Km

Inches instead of cm

Feet instead of metres

Fahrenheit instead of Celsius

Acres instead of Hectres

Pounds (lbs) instead of Kg

That is because we use metric and imperial here. I meant that our imperial is different from yours in some cases:

[TABLE="class: tabledata"]

[TD]1 fluid ounce[/TD]

[TD]1.0408 uk fl oz[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]1 pint (16 fl oz)[/TD]

[TD]0.8327 uk pt[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]1 gallon

[/TD]

[TD]0.8327 uk gal

[/TD]

[/TABLE]

There may or may not be others

That is because we use metric and imperial here. I meant that our imperial is different from yours in some cases:

[TABLE="class: tabledata"]

[TD]1 fluid ounce[/TD]

[TD]1.0408 uk fl oz[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]1 pint (16 fl oz)[/TD]

[TD]0.8327 uk pt[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]1 gallon[/TD]

[TD]0.8327 uk gal[/TD]

[/TABLE]

There may or may not be others

Canada's official thing isn't imperial, its metric.

Wow, I didn't even know the UK had those measurements!

In my case, even though Canadians are supposed to use the metric system...I find myself using parts of the imperial system. Like, for example, I know my weight in pounds (lbs), but I don't know it in Kg. I couldn't tell you my height in cm, but I know it in feet and inches.

But yet, I can't...for the life of me...understand what a mile is and I can't figure out the F degree system (it isn't linear!).

But I understand/know everything else in the metric system.

It's kinda weird, haha.

Okay, new question:

" Who makes it, has no need of it.

Who buys it, has no use for it.

Who uses it can neither see nor feel it.

What is it?"

I have read some Richard Bach - Jonathan Livingston Seagull - a long time ago !!

Despite being a good book, that one should be read spearately from his others. The ones I mean cover things such as 'life choices'. There is a scene where he is flying his light plane over some water and it seems to be shimmering with silvery threads in the water. As he dips down a bit, *somehow* he realises these threads represent our different life choices. Can't remember the details though...

In my case, even though Canadians are supposed to use the metric system...I find myself using parts of the imperial system. Like, for example, I know my weight in pounds (lbs), but I don't know it in Kg. I couldn't tell you my height in cm, but I know it in feet and inches.

But yet, I can't...for the life of me...understand what a mile is and I can't figure out the F degree system (it isn't linear!).

A lot of our measurements are metric, probably startic with decimalisation of currency in (I think) 1971 when we got rid of pounds / shillings / pence and went to pounds / pence. Gradually, we adopted kilos, litres etc, yet road distances are in miles. Some shops list the Euro price after the £ price - makes sense at the airports / London / maybe some other tourist places, but less so in supermarkets where (you would imagine) people have local (i.e. £) currency.

Maybe we should decimalise time? :D

It's kinda weird, haha.

Okay, new question:

" Who makes it, has no need of it.

Who buys it, has no use for it.

Who uses it can neither see nor feel it.

What is it?"

Ummmm I would say a coffin but who knows maybe the coffin maker needs it after all ROFL.

Here's my question. You're visiting a mental asylum, when the director takes you to the room where they decide if a patient should be institutionalized. You ask him how they decide, and so he explains it to you. "We fill up a bathtub. Then we offer a spoon, cup, and bucket to the patient and ask the patient to empty the bathtub." So my question to you.. which one do you use?

Here's my question. You're visiting a mental asylum, when the director takes you to the room where they decide if a patient should be institutionalized. You ask him how they decide, and so he explains it to you. "We fill up a bathtub. Then we offer a spoon, cup, and bucket to the patient and ask the patient to empty the bathtub." So my question to you.. which one do you use?

Are you allowed to use the bath plug?

Ummmm I would say a coffin but who knows maybe the coffin maker needs it after all ROFL.

Yep, its a coffin.

I wouldn't use any of them. I'd just pull the drain plug...

smarty pants!

It gets better than that - the US imperial system is different from the UK one' date=' certainly for gallons, can't remember what else[/quote']

European billion is 1,000,000,000,000

American billion is 1,000,000,000 which is considered a milliard (although now considered a defunct term)

Are you allowed to use the bath plug?

Yep, its a coffin.

I wouldn't use any of them. I'd just pull the drain plug...

Yup... you guys got it. Everyone I've asked so far have said the bucket and I rolled on the floor laughing telling them they just had to pull the plug. You guys are smarter than me :D