Is it safe to leave a Martingale Collar on a dog?

RoseWillow&Dexter

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer:

Yes, it is safe. I have one on my dog all the time. The choking risk for the martingale is a lot lower than regular choke collars, because the martingale collar only closes half-way (the 'true' choke collars tighten fully).

If you want to tie up your dog outside, I'd recommend attaching the leash to one of the side loops (as opposed to the middle loop which is the one that controls the tightening/loosening.)

That way, the risk of choking is the same as a regular belt collar as the side loops force the martingale collar to act like the regular flat buckle collar.

A better collar that's more humane is a Martingale collar. It's a variation on the choke collar. Instead of the collar tightening so much it chokes the dog, like the chain choke collar, the Martingale is made to tighten just enough to get the dog's attention. Don't confuse this collar for a half-check collar. They're similar in how each works, but the Martingale collar is made entirely of nylon instead of the more common leather or nylon and chain construction used in half-check collars. The all nylon material used in the Martingale eliminates the chances of the dog's hair or skin getting caught in the chain. Sight hounds like Whippet, Saluki and Greyhound can easily escape a conventional collar because their heads are smaller than their necks. The martingale collar is also called the Greyhound collar or humane choke collar and is a safer and secure collar for these breeds.

Source: http://voices.yahoo.com/the-difference-between-martingale-collar-chain-6318014.html?cat=7

I don't think it's safe to leave any collar on a dog when it is unattended.

Mick

agree with mick my dogs are naked in the house

Give reasons if ya can guys ... Useful information for those who do not know

I don't think it's safe to leave any collar on a dog when it is unattended.

Mick

Why?

If I followed that logic, I would be without a dog. There's been a few times when Suka has dashed outside of the door to chase something. If Suka didn't have a collar, I would have never got him back because his collar has his ID tags and everything. Not everyone is smart enough to scan him for a microchip, not even some vets.

And, considering I just learned the humane society is my city is messed up (corrupted, etc) then they probably won't scan for a chip either.

Edited by SolitaryHowl

its unsafe because generally in the house collars are loose, martingales/half-checks/semi-slips are all designed to be worn loose until the main ring is pulled, tightening the collar. Loose collars are easy to catch on door handles, hooks etc.

If you have more than one dog and they are left together they may play, often biting the neck they can get their jaws caught under the collar, effectively sticking together, usually the caught dog will twist and jump around trying to get free, winding the collar tighter and tighter around the others neck.

I've known of a few dogs who have be strangled to death by their collars when unattended.

My dogs are used to having their scruffs held so should we need to seperate them (like in a fight) we just get the scruffs. But usually we can use voice to seperate them anyway. Diesel did always have a collar on, only because he was too much of a danger to have without one, and was impossible to catch had he not had one on - if he hadnt he would have done my guys some serious damage, possibly killed them. So he did always wear a collar as the need for one outweighed the danger of him getting caught and choking

My dogs dont have access to the front door, having sibes its something we make sure never ever happens and everyone who lives here or visits knows to keep both doors seperating the dog area (main living space) and the front door shut when the door is open. At least one door is always closed when the front door isnt in use.

Kira doesnt even wear a collar at the dog park. She cant escape as it has high fences and a double gate so one gate is always closed, and like i said we scruff her to seperate a fight (though she never gets involved in fights, it cant be guarenteed that a dog wouldnt attack her). but as she plays and some dogs mouth the neck i dont want her getting tangled with another dog. I also dont want her collar getting chewed!

I guess I don't have those problems because Suka's collar isn't loose enough that it would cause a hazard. Plus, his fur is so long and dense on his neck, his fur covers his collar so there's not really a risk of him hanging himself.

In my house, the bottom floor is mostly open concept, so I would almost have to put a fence from one side of the house to the other, and even then he'd probably just jump or climb over it.

And I like the piece of mind that if Suka ever escapes again, he'll most likely be returned to me because he could be easily identified from the tags on his collar.

But to each their own, I guess.

EDIT: I think Suka looks odd without his collar on, anyways!

SOLITARYHOWL: There's been a few times when Suka has dashed outside of the door to chase something. If Suka didn't have a collar, I would have never got him back because his collar has his ID tags and everything.

SIDWOLF: its unsafe because generally in the house collars are loose, martingales/half-checks/semi-slips are all designed to be worn loose until the main ring is pulled, tightening the collar. Loose collars are easy to catch on door handles, hooks etc.

My problem is that I completely agree with both of your statements!

My dog wears a semi-slip or sled dog collar (the one that tightens on pulling but not to choke - just to normal collar tightness) in the house and I agree that as it sits loose there is an increased risk of snagging. I was most worried when he started to learn how to open doors as the door handle is basically just a big hook. That said, his ID is on his collar. He is microchipped, but having my contact details on the tag should hopefully mean a speedy recovery.

It's a difficult balance as it is easily argued either way increases some form of risk - chocking versus difficulty recovering the dog post escape....

I do take steps to minimise escape and my dog has only gotten outside the 'perimeter' once in his life - for 10 secs. However, it's a situation I dread more than the collar risk. My dog is an extremely handsome husky (I'm bias I know!!) and I do worry that people would steal him rather than return him should he escape. That's why I do leave him collar-on when alone. Although I admit it's not ideal.

Edited by pacific4130

Give reasons if ya can guys ... Useful information for those who do not know

Same as others have mentioned. In 20 years in the breed I have seen and heard about too many dogs dead as a result of strangulation - one just last week. That's why our house and garden are as husky-proof as it is possible to make them with "airlock" systems (a door and a gate on every external exit), wire-reinforced fences at least 8ft high.

Mick

raindog,

Do you mind me asking you where you keep your dogs whilst out of the house? I've recently moved and my dog is in the hallway when I'm out, leaving only one door to the outside world. It's not ideal so I'm starting to think of alternatives.

I have an integral garage (door off the hallway) and I'm considering making an indoor run inside the garage, i.e. a fenced partition within the garage. It's not used for the car so we have the space.

It's a difficult balance as it is easily argued either way increases some form of risk - chocking versus difficulty recovering the dog post escape....

It only takes one time. I was lucky that people (especially dog people) return him to me whenever he escapes, but it only takes one asshole/thief to steal him. It only makes things easier if he doesn't have a collar on.

Without a collar, he could be captured by the humane society as a stray, and PTS (if they don't scan him for a chip, which they usually don't do if dogs don't have a collar on).

And, no offense, but I don't understand how the dog can strangle itself on a doorknob unless the collar is so loose it hangs off of the neck and creates a loop. And collars should never be that loose. Even so, I would think the dog would be able to wiggle out of the collar if it is that loose.

And, if you're home, it might be able to make some thrashing sounds or some vocalizations so you would be able to come and help it.

If you're not home, then that's what crates are for. When in the crate, THEN, you can take the collar off because there's obviously no chance of him escaping the house.

if someone wants to thief a dog they will regardless of whether it has ID on or not, they're not going to care. Dogs are stolen from gardens and outside shops so why would a straying dog without a collar on be different? It would actually be harder for someone to nick mine if they didnt have a collar because they'd be harder to catch, though like i said the dogs dont get that chance here, our house layout is very safe for keeping the dogs in :)

if the dog jumps at a door it can quite easily catch the handle on the way down, first thing the dog's gunna do is freak and try to get out, if they twist around that collar is then getting tighter and tighter on the neck, cutting off the airway. its actually not that unheard of, as Mick said one died this week after catching the collar on a doorknob, think it was less than a year old too.

And, no offense, but I don't understand how the dog can strangle itself on a doorknob unless the collar is so loose it hangs off of the neck and creates a loop. And collars should never be that loose. Even so, I would think the dog would be able to wiggle out of the collar if it is that loose.

And, if you're home, it might be able to make some thrashing sounds or some vocalizations so you would be able to come and help it.

If you're not home, then that's what crates are for. When in the crate, THEN, you can take the collar off because there's obviously no chance of him escaping the house.

Semi-slip / sled dog collars are loose fitting enough to catch on a door handle they're designed to sit fairly loose on the dog. Once a collar is snagged it's very hard to wriggle out of - same reason lots of children strangle themselves wearing scarves.

It's not just door handles... fence posts, gates, garden furniture... They all pose a risk.

I'm also not able (I'm sure a lot of people aren't) to watch him 24/7. My dog likes to sit in one of the guest bedrooms upstairs so he can sit on the bed and look out of the window. I leave him to it as he's doesn't chew/damage anything. I can quite easily imagine a situation where I'm unable to hear him struggling.

raindog,

Do you mind me asking you where you keep your dogs whilst out of the house? I've recently moved and my dog is in the hallway when I'm out, leaving only one door to the outside world. It's not ideal so I'm starting to think of alternatives.

I have an integral garage (door off the hallway) and I'm considering making an indoor run inside the garage, i.e. a fenced partition within the garage. It's not used for the car so we have the space.

It depends upon the weather. If it is dry, they have the run of the hallway and kitchen area and access to the dogyard. If it is raining, we shut most of them them in the hallway/kitchen (the trustworthy older dogs chill out on the sofas in the living room). It is extremely rare that they are left for more than an hour or so at any one time as there is nearly always someone home.

Mick

With regards to the correct fitting of a collar. I think you're supposed to be able to fit 2 fingers comfortably under it. Any more and it's too loose, any less and it's too tight. Am I right?

that is for a flat or buckle collar. with a martingale/semi-slip/half-check you should be able to do that with the collar 'checked', so when the collar's relaxed its a lot looser

that is for a flat or buckle collar. with a martingale/semi-slip/half-check you should be able to do that with the collar 'checked', so when the collar's relaxed its a lot looser

If Suka's martingale was that loose, he wouldn't respond to it because he couldn't feel the difference.

But let's just agree to disagree, yeah? I don't want to argue/debate on this anymore.

Semi-slip / sled dog collars are loose fitting enough to catch on a door handle they're designed to sit fairly loose on the dog. Once a collar is snagged it's very hard to wriggle out of - same reason lots of children strangle themselves wearing scarves.

It's not just door handles... fence posts, gates, garden furniture... They all pose a risk.

I'm also not able (I'm sure a lot of people aren't) to watch him 24/7. My dog likes to sit in one of the guest bedrooms upstairs so he can sit on the bed and look out of the window. I leave him to it as he's doesn't chew/damage anything. I can quite easily imagine a situation where I'm unable to hear him struggling.

I'm not able to watch him 24/7 either, but like I said earlier Suka's collar isn't that loose that it will cause a problem.

I bought Martingale collars plainly for the reason I don't leave mine wearing collars when unattended any more.

My oldest Border Collie always wore a buckle collar as did my younger one.

Mishka ate 3 buckle collars when I left her in her crate until I read the threat of hanging etc!

Now, as soon as we go out, the collars are slipped over their necks (complete with ID tag) until they are home. They aren't out of my sight while out so any difficulty regarding the collar & I'd be there

If Suka's martingale was that loose, he wouldn't respond to it because he couldn't feel the difference.

But let's just agree to disagree, yeah? I don't want to argue/debate on this anymore.

Kiras is well loose :oops i can actually probably fit a hand underneith it when its checked. But hers is a half check so i think she responds to the noise of the chain rather than it actually tightening. I dont have to check her much anyway, she's a weird husky and is quite happy to walk loose lead!

Greys collar is a little tighter but probably still a bit looser than it should be, and keyu doesnt use one cus the pressure of her pulling on a collar sets her eyes off :(

our half checks are more for show than anything else, i like the chain! :redface1:

Thanks for the responses everyone, I was trying to avoid the collar vs naked debate as everyone has there own feelings about it

I did however choose against the martingale collar because it sits so loosely, and just went with a clip collar.

I went one day without one of them having a collar (if fell off at the beach yesterday) and I stressed the whole day at work

:)

I'm not able to watch him 24/7 either, but like I said earlier Suka's collar isn't that loose that it will cause a problem.

Hi,

I think you're getting mixed up between a sled collar/semi-slip and a martingale. Or at least that's what I'm talking about.

I'm probably not using the correct terms myself. I tend to refer to collars as: full choke, semi-choke (martingale), normal, semi-slip/sled (slide but don't choke).

With semi-slip/sled they aren't meant to feel any difference, as in they are not designed to choke at all. They have 'slip' so that the can slide easily on/off the head, sit loose over the fur, and tighten to a normal collar tightness (i.e. few fingers) when pulled against. So when it sits slack I fit my whole hand through it but when my dog is on a lead it tightens to a normal collar. I'm sure a martingale would be a lot tighter and be less of a risk, but for the type of collars I use they are much looser and therefore a greater risk.

Here's a picture of a sled/semi-slip collar. You can see how loose the sit on a dog and how they can be a 'snag' risk....

(*not my pic btw - found on the internet*)

post-7968-13586080328105_thumb.jpg

post-7968-13586080326037_thumb.jpg