huskies. Huskies everywhere.

mydiamond

I used to think there are only three huskies in my neighborhood. Diamond, a gray male called Michael (Mike), and a female husky-chow mix. There used to be Crollie also, but then he got re-homed. Several months ago a neighbor that is often seen with his beagle brought home a white husky. I always come across these dogs on my way to school :wub: the lovely pup's now at least 5 months old and started to look rather wolfish :P Few weeks ago I met another husky that lived rather far away from my neighborhood. His name is also Michael (without doubt it confused me lots at first LOL why are people so uncreative). Then earlier today, I met another husky that looks a lot like Sarah's Koda. Huskies :S They're EVERYWHERE

Lol! A colleague of mine recently said to me that since finding out that I have Huskies, he seems to see them everywhere. I told him it was probably just psychological...and then the penny dropped. I asked him if he'd just come back from the week long trip in Wales with a group of ks4 students, and he said that he had. Lol! It wasn't his imagination, he'd seen people coming/going to the recent Husky camp.:rofl:

I've been on about this recently. When I got Aleu 4 years ago, she cost me £550 for her full 5 generation pedigree, and at the time, that was cheap. When I used to take her for walks, people used to literally be in awe and be like, "Wow! A husky! I've never seen one before!" and I used to get told about how they are so uncommon and beautiful etc etc.

4 years on now, I've had to report to the RSPCA a breeder down here that's docking their tails to make them look "Intimidating"; I've just reported a bloke down at One Stop shopping centre for flogging 8 puppies on the street for £150 each to whoever; they're everywhere you go and the amount I see being walked on a crappy fake flexi on the street is shocking. Since the trend, I'm getting busier and busier with calls for help which makes me see that the work I am doing is a good thing but I get offered about 3 free dogs a week and I can't take them so then they risk going to somewhere poor to get passed around again, because all the shelters are full and can't take them.

Don't get me wrong, I love the social aspect of owning a husky, meeting new owners, sharing experiences etc, but so many of them now are in the wrong hands that the work for rescues and improving their welfare is desperate. So I see the increase in them as being a bad thing and it makes me upset to see people that clearly haven't got a clue walking around like they're just fighting dogs or dogs they can use to intimidate people.

Rant over lol, sorry.

Stacey xxx

When I first got shadow there weren't many about the numbers have definitely grown over the last couple of years :( there is one I've noticed on my walks round here always seems to be in the back garden :( such a pretty little thing always wants to say hello to us as we walk past :)

There is my aunts mil one next road down for me he's older though now bless him still pulls like a steam train though lol

Then there is a few down the other end of the village.

Also my ex's one used to be mine Logan though I have not seen them about so unsure if they still live here.

I used to get a lot of attention with shadow but people aren't a fussed nowadays infact more and more people are starting to seem scared of huskies which is ashame :(

in all honesty, whenever I saw someone buying a husky puppy my first thought is always "uh oh" :S my country's people was never known for their kindness to animals, and that concerns me.. Especially because people think it's ridiculous to believe each dog is unique and requires different living circumstances. But then I tell myself that's judgmental. I mean.. Hey, there are millions of humans here in this country it's not like every single one of them is a bad person :) still I must admit the rapid increase in husky's popularity is rather concerning :S

I've been on about this recently. When I got Aleu 4 years ago, she cost me £550 for her full 5 generation pedigree, and at the time, that was cheap. When I used to take her for walks, people used to literally be in awe and be like, "Wow! A husky! I've never seen one before!" and I used to get told about how they are so uncommon and beautiful etc etc.

4 years on now, I've had to report to the RSPCA a breeder down here that's docking their tails to make them look "Intimidating"; I've just reported a bloke down at One Stop shopping centre for flogging 8 puppies on the street for £150 each to whoever; they're everywhere you go and the amount I see being walked on a crappy fake flexi on the street is shocking. Since the trend, I'm getting busier and busier with calls for help which makes me see that the work I am doing is a good thing but I get offered about 3 free dogs a week and I can't take them so then they risk going to somewhere poor to get passed around again, because all the shelters are full and can't take them.

Don't get me wrong, I love the social aspect of owning a husky, meeting new owners, sharing experiences etc, but so many of them now are in the wrong hands that the work for rescues and improving their welfare is desperate. So I see the increase in them as being a bad thing and it makes me upset to see people that clearly haven't got a clue walking around like they're just fighting dogs or dogs they can use to intimidate people.

Rant over lol, sorry.

Stacey xxx

I agree Stacey. We took getting Kodi very seriously and did loads of research on Huskies and Malamutes before we made our choice. We had to make sure we would be the most responsible owners we can be. There is another family living near us with a female Mal who we see periodically walking with Kodi. They did no research and were amazed that we did so much. They said they chose the breed because 'they are fluffy and cute'! They are, but god they are a lot of work too. They said to the OH last week that they might have to give her up because she was more work than they thought! Obviously we have said to speak to us before they do anything rash as we would be more than happy to take her in but it just makes me sad that they could get this breed of dog and know nothing about them :(

When I first got shadow there weren't many about the numbers have definitely grown over the last couple of years :( there is one I've noticed on my walks round here always seems to be in the back garden :( such a pretty little thing always wants to say hello to us as we walk past :)

There is my aunts mil one next road down for me he's older though now bless him still pulls like a steam train though lol

Then there is a few down the other end of the village.

Also my ex's one used to be mine Logan though I have not seen them about so unsure if they still live here.

I used to get a lot of attention with shadow but people aren't a fussed nowadays infact more and more people are starting to seem scared of huskies which is ashame :(

We have people cross to the other side of the street when they see Kodi walking along and I've lost count of how many times people have said to us that Kodi 'growled' at them as we walk by! Bless him he is only 'talking' to them as Mal's do. He sounds more like Chewbacca than a dog that's about to attack! It's very frustrating :(

I was reading a news story the other day about a woman who had her dogs taken off her (think it was posted on the forum) and there was a comment on the story saying Husky are the next Problem bread and that they have gotten worse than Staffies, I reported this comment as slander to both Staffies and Huskies. My HO is that the dogs are not the problems until the owner allows them to become one. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Staffs (IMO) became problem dogs when people who weren't fit to own any pet got hold of them due to the high numbers being bred. Huskies, in a similar way, are becoming a problem. Although, this time because dog owners unfit for a husky are getting them.

I think that's the key to the problem.

I'm like staceybob... Did lots of research, discussed with partner, then got a husky pup (at great expense - but worth it!!haha) with a full pedigree history, parents checked, etc...

Sadly, and I've only bumped into a few other owners, this level of care isn't shared amongst new owners.

I met one couple, living in a small flat, who bought a husky (although it didn't look 100% husky) from a 'local breeder'. Obviously, due to my research, I knew there were no proper breeders anywhere near that part of the country - or certainly not ones breeding to sell. I chatted with them for a while, and I was really disappointed to discover that they were just totally unsuited to husky ownership. Loving, yes. Just not set up for a dog like a husky. The dog was destroying their flat, had severe SA (which they didn't deal with - just kept it with them 24/7), a got about as much exercise as a Granma's Jack Russell...

Another couple I met were an older couple, probably mid-50s. Their terrier had died, and their kids bought them a new dog to fill the gap. Lovely story, except the dog was a husky! We chatted for a while and discussed things like exercise for the dogs. My pup was only about 6 months at the time (first trip to the beach!) and I had him in a harness and 50ft long lead so he could play safely. They'd never even thought of a harness before for their adult husky!! (at least they had it on lead). It was clear that after discussing things like canicross, bikejor, harnesses, etc, that they were completely clueless about the needs of a husky. Again, they were providing a really loving home, but one suited to a terrier not a husky.

These two couples are good examples (young couple/old couple) of people who would make great dog owners. Really loving and caring and wanting to share their lives with a furry biscuit-demolishing-poo-machine. The problem is though that they both ended up with a breed of dog clearly unsuited to their lifestyle.

That's why I'm worried about the growing number of huskies. Statistically, the amount of people who can provide for them properly is very low so we shouldn't be seeing such an explosion in ownership that we have seen over the last decade.

Edited by pacific4130

When we got our first husky nearly 20 years ago now, it was almost impossible to buy a puppy. The breeders were so picky about who got one of their precious pups that you really had to work hard to convince them that you were worthy. It took us almost three years of visiting breeders, visiting dog shows, visiting rallies, helping mushers with their dogs - all the while researching, researching, researching. When we finally found a breeder prepared to consider us, we drove 100+ miles to their cottage in the middle of nowhere on a cold, wet, autumn day. They took us into their enclosure to meet their dogs. After an hour playing with them, we were black with mud, freezing cold but smiling broadly. Apparently this was a test and while we sat in the kitchen steaming gently with a mug of tea, the breeder brought a black and white puppy in and said - this is your pup!!! At that point every second of the three year wait was worth it.

Compare that with how the majority of owners buy their dogs nowadays - search for huskies for sale on the internet, find one near them, pay for it online and collect it the next day no questions asked!

What has changed? - the kind of people breeding the dogs!

20 years ago, everyone breeding huskies was well known to everyone else in the breed. With few exceptions, breeders worked and showed their dogs and, as I said above, were very very careful about where their puppies went as breeding was primarily concerned with ensuring a healthy future for the breed, not how much money they could make.

15 years ago, the vast majority of breeders were still like this, but there were one or two breeders who were beginning to produce large numbers of dogs purely for profit. Even 5/6 years ago, when we started SHWA, the majority of dogs were bred by ethical breeders or by a handful of well-known "bulk" breeders.

Over the past 5 years however, things have gone downhill very quickly and now the vast majority of Siberians are bred by what I call the naive/stupid/greedy "pet" breeders - breeders who don't show, don't work their dogs (and so have not the faintest idea whether their dogs are good enough/healthy enough to breed from, don't do health tests; and (the one with the greatest implications for rescues) sell their pups to anyone who wants one irrespective of their knowledge of the breed, their circumstances or the conditions in which they live. It is from these breeders that 99% of the dogs coming into rescue now originate. As long as naive, ill-prepared people carry on buying their pups, these people will carry on breeding them and rescues will continue to be totally overwhelmed with huskies.

Mick

Edited by raindog

raindog,

I totally agree, but I'm curious (as someone with a lot of experience) how you feel the problem should be tackled?

I decided to source my pup from a good source. I made sure the pups were KC registered, and made a few trips to the breeders. A friend is a Vet so I had her on hand to check/advise on the health of the pups and parents. I also made sure I was aware of the breed and what I was committing to. So I'm lucky to have a healthy pet and a happy house.

Getting advice on which breeder is good/bad was very difficult though. Like any club or scene there are people who get on and don't get on. Differences of opinion, and outright snobbishness. I was told by one individual who posts on another forum and is well known in huskies that my breeder wasn't good. I was also told though that this individual was a total ****. Who to believe? I pressed but couldn't get evidence to support either opinion, just a load of 'my opinion is right -there's is wrong'.

I also came up against close-mindeness on another husky forum. A sort of 'we own the breed, we set the rules; don't met them, you don't deserve a dog'. They are so guarded to the point of several hardcore members bullying any newcomer who dares question the status quo.

Do you think that some sort of endorsement by the SHWA and SHCGB for breeders would help people ethically source their first dogs? A sort of accredited breeder scheme? I'm sure it wouldn't stop the idiots buying/selling on some of the internet sites, but it would help well meaning newcomers find their way amongst the many voices in the scene all pulling in different directions...

That's a very good question Richard and not one that is easy to answer. The problem is that there will always be cliques and in-groups and out-groups in any breed of dog. We once had a back-handed compliment from a former secretary of the SHCGB who told a prospective husky buyer who wanted a Sibe which had a better coat and was more substantial than hers, that if they wanted "that" type of sibe, we bred the best of the "wrong" type.

This is the advice that we give to prospective husky buyers:

If you decide a Siberian Husky is for you, how do you go about getting one? There are quite a lot of Siberian Husky breeders in the UK . Like most breeds the quality of dogs & breeders varies widely. A small proportion of breeders in the UK are reputable and responsible but most, unfortunately, are not. To the inexperienced it is often difficult to tell the difference.

Many breeders, like us, have websites. How can you tell from the website what kind of breeder they are? Check this article out - http://www.kaylenbergsiberians.com/BreedersOnline.htm

These are some of the indicators you can use to check breeders out.

[TABLE="width: 100%"]

[TD]aaxibul1.gif[/TD]

[TD]Are the dogs being bred Kennel Club registered and are the pups KC registered. KC registration is not a 100% guarantee, but it is a strong indication that the pedigree of your dog is accurate and honest. If the mother, father or the pups are not KC registered, beat a hasty retreat at that point. Note: there are other dog registration organisations in the UK but their registrations are not worth the paper they are written on. If it ain’t KC, don’t buy it!

[/TD]

[/TABLE]

[TD]aaxibul1.gif[/TD]

[TD] Do the breeders work and/or show their dogs? If not, why are they breeding? Most good breeders breed litters to improve their teams either for the showring, the trail or both. If they are doing neither you have to assume that their main motivation is cash! - not the best reason for breeding dogs

[/TD]

[/TABLE]

[TD]aaxibul1.gif[/TD]

[TD]How easy do they make it to buy a puppy? If you don’t get the )friendly) third degree about your knowledge of the breed, the security of your house and garden etc, it is unlikely that they are a responsible breeder. Will they let you see the mum and dad and all their other dogs? You can learn a lot from the condition and temperament of the adult dogs in a breeder’s kennel. More often than not the breeder will have gone “outside” for a mating, so they won’t actually own the stud dog, but they should be able to show you pictures, pedigree and health certification for the dad as well as the mum.

[/TD]

[/TABLE]

[TD]aaxibul1.gif[/TD]

[TD] Have the appropriate health tests for the breed been carried out on the parents? Although as a breed, the Siberian Husky is very healthy, all responsible breeders will screen their dogs for hereditary defects. In particular they should be checked for hip and eye defects. Ask if the parents of the puppies are tested and ask to see the results.

[/TD]

[/TABLE]

[TD]aaxibul1.gif[/TD]

[TD] How old is the mother and how many litters has she had? No bitch should be bred before the age of 2 years or after the age of 7. There should be at least a year between successive matings and no bitch should have more than three litters in her lifetime.

[/TD]

[/TABLE]

[TD]aaxibul1.gif[/TD]

[TD] Was the litter planned or was it “accidental”? If you are told that the litter can’t be registered because the mating was “accidental” and the bitch was too young/too old etc etc etc, walk away. Post mating contraceptive injections have been available from vets for years and there is no excuse for “accidental” matings. It is surprising how many bad breeders have “accidental” mating after “ accidental” mating.

[/TD]

[/TABLE]

[TD]aaxibul1.gif[/TD]

[TD] Will the breeder expect you to sign a contract of sale in which you undertake to return the dog direct to the breeder if for any reason you cannot keep it, and in which you acknowledge that the dog has breeding/export restrictions on its KC papers and cannot be bred from without agreement from the breeder? All responsible breeders will insist upon this for the protection of the dog.

[/TD]

[/TABLE]

If you cannot tick ALL these boxes with a breeder, walk away and look elsewhere. In our opinion every single one of these conditions is crucially important in finding a good breeder.

So - that is what you look for when you find a breeder, but how do you find one?

One of the best ways is to visit large Championship Dog Shows and find the Siberian Husky benches. Here you will find a wide variety of Siberians, their owners and breeders. You will also be able to see loads of dogs and decide what 'type' of dog you would like. In the UK , Siberians range from the very slim sprint-racing dogs, through middle-of-the-road dogs who can succeed both in racing and showing (this is what we aspire to), to the US style shorter-legged Show dogs. You also need to decide whether you want a dog you can show and/or race as well as being a pet. At most big shows all types are represented. If you buy a catalogue you will have access to the addresses of all the owners at the show.

Similarly in the winter you can visit some of the racing events which happen all over the country.

Visit http://www.snopeak.com to find details of racing events near you.

You may have to wait to get the puppy you want as most reputable breeders only breed occasionally – If you are properly prepared, the wait will be worth it. The only problem then is you will want another, and another and another………….They are frighteningly addictive!!!

You need to be extremely careful when choosing a breeder. The biggest safeguard you can have is doing your homework thoroughly before even approaching a breeder. The fact that a breeder may be a member of the Siberian Husky Club of Great Britain or the Scottish Siberian Husky Club is no guarantee that the breeder is ethical. Nor is membership of the Kennel Club accredited breeder scheme. Your only guarantee is to use the checklist above!

The important thing to remember here is that a good breeder will tick ALL these boxes.

On the larger question of how to address the overall problem of overbreeding and bad breeding - I don't think legislation or regulation is the answer. They rarely work and often just make the situation worse - compare the numbers of pitbulls alive in the UK today with the numbers at the time of their "ban" in the 1992 Dangerous Dogs Act. There are thousands more today than there have ever been. I think the only way forward is education. If everyone involved in dogs pushed the line that pups should only be bought from ethical breeders (and the RSPCA used some of its £120,000,000 per year income on major TV adverts to this effect) then we could really start to make a difference.

Mick

Mick

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Mick.

I don't know whether the RSPCA would be keen to take that line. They would have to pick some form of ethical standard, i.e. KC assured breeder, and that runs the risk of damaging their 'a rescue dog is every bit the family dog a pedigree dog is' line. Sort of saying that the premium dogs come from x breeders, and if you can't get the 'best' then consider one of our mutts (not my opinion(!) just thinking about how the average joe might see it).

It's a difficult one. My main problem being that whilst I could assure the health of my pup through my vet mate and health checks I still to this day struggle to be make an informed decision about which direction is the best for the breed. Some people may look down on me because I'm not wanting to get into racing/mushing/showing and I'm happy to stick to bikejor/canicross/scootering etc, whilst other may see me as a snob for suggesting that huskies aren't suitable for a typical (i.e. non active) household pet. I can't win!

there do seem to be everywhere now a days makes me so angry when people breed just for the fun of it or because they are too lazy to try harder to keep there male and female apart when shes in season or even to get there male neutered (sorry) xx

• 2 months later...

Huskies are so beautiful and have such great personalities, I wish there was less of them so that they all went to good homes. I wish they could be seen in the way the people on this forum do, not just "oh another husky in a shelter", not "you did a good thing by rescuing a husky". I wish it was "You got a husky, my gosh she's beautiful" as if it  was an honor to be allowed the privilege of a husky even if it was abandoned. 

But for most people, they don't see it like that...

The reason I fell in love with the breed is because I am friends with Abby, @MidnightPaws, and every time I visited her and her lovely huskies I fell more in love with them every time. I found myself falling in love with every aspect of the breed the more time I spent with them. So I did some research, tried a few rescues but wasn't able to get approved due to my age and inexperience, found a breeder who offered me a lot more information on the breed, and then I brought home the love of my life little Yuki.

I find this rather concerning as many people buy huskies as 'status animals'. Before I met Abby I didn't even really think about huskies. Then after joining this forum, I met people who were just in love with the breed as I am. But I also found people with huskies in my area that are out of standard, unfixed, unleashed, with near 0 training. And most of them talk about "breeding". 

I would love to see the breed grow, in the hands of responsible owners, but at the rate its going it seems more and more irresponsible people are just going to supply money into the hands of greedy backyard breeders only to drop it off at the shelter 6 months later when its become no longer cute.

But I really, really, love this forum and I wish everyone who bought a husky puppy were required to either join the forum and/or take training classes with experienced sibe trainers :) Those who are educated are prepared, although not always! LOL

Rant over lol, sorry.

Stacey xxx

Couldnt of said it better myself, i find it shocking the amount of people who will get huskies o=without even researchign the breed, or even how you can easily get a husky now for £100-£200 ! BYB obviously but still, its really worrying seeing the sudden increase in huskies and realising that so many of them are sadly in the wrong hands :(

Backyard breeders will never go away with the way things are currently. There are no laws that prevent them from breeding. It's a shame because people that otherwise wouldn't be able to own one get them for next to nothing and wind up being improper owners.

I don't think there is any way to avoid this right now. I do think that if we go around telling potential owners to only buy a show-quality husky we might be potentially harming rescue rates. I will never buy another puppy, and i honestly mean that. If i had known then what i know now, i never would've purchased a puppy in the first place.

What we can do is try our best to inform any individual that might comment on how beautiful our dog is how much work they are! I know anytime someone tells me how beautiful Luka is i thank them and add but he's A LOT of work. We can also continue to help those rescues to find suitable homes whether it be our own, or someone we know would be a good fit.

I know quite a few husky owners, and most of them appreciate how to look after a husky. In fact, I only know of one local husky who is inappropriately owned and looked after. The guy is old, and took it over from his son, who did not know what he was taking on when he got it as a pup. The dog is agressive towards other males, frequently escapes, and takes the old guy for walks on an extended lead, pulling all the way. I have seen this dog so nearly killed when it darted across the road to get at another dog, including my own, only to find itself stranded in the middle of the road when it hit the end of it's extendable lead - SCARY.

There are more good husky owners than bad living near me, and one common thing is that, with the exception of the husky above, all are neutered. I believe it makes such a difference to behaviours as well as stopping unwanted pregnancies. How many unwanted dogs do you see on GUMTREE etc that are neutered? Sadly, it's the exception rather than the rule.

Sadly this is a problem with all dogs.

An awful lot of people seem to treat dogs, in fact any animal, like a belonging. Get fed up? Sell it or give it away. Worse still, abandon it!

It's only those that love a particular breed or type of animal (cat or dog, horse etc) & treat them as family that see this as a problem :@

I always wanted a Husky or Border Collie. I chose Collies as I didn't believe Huskies were meant to live in the UK climate or in a home.

Having had my boys, the urge to have a Husky was to strong to resist & I started researching the breed properly.

Having researched & found they can happily live in any climate as long as their needs are attended to & they can live inside, nothing else could put me off.

Most of the main problems (destructive, shedding, stubbornness) I'd dealt with already helping with friend's dogs & my ex's destructive BC that ate my kitchen doors! BCs can shed an awful load of hair too if your BC is a hairy dog like Deiffen!

When I got Mishka 2 1/2 yrs ago, I saw 1 or 2 other Huskies in the surrounding area. I regularly see 4 or 5 in town alone, add to that the number of Mals, it's increased significantly!

Of the dogs I've seen, none are KC registered (Mishka is 5 gen pedigree) & a lad I saw & posted on here about, that had got a Husky instead of a kitten (I kid you not!), ended up mistreating the dog & handing it over (neutered) to a 'breeder'.

I dread to think what's happened to the poor dog, not much use to a 'breeder' when he's neutered?! He SWAPPED him for a KITTEN!!!!!  :facepalm::cry1: :cry1:

The amount of people I've talked out of getting a Husky when they've stopped me in the street to tell me how beautiful Mishka is & how much they want one, they're gorgeous...........

People need to stop & think. Just because their Husky is gorgeous, doesn't mean it's a good dog to breed from or in fact, that they should!

All mine are neutered, happy & well looked after & exercised, despite me working full time & I'm probably not the ideal 'Husky owner' as some would think.

I wanted a Husky & I changed my lifestyle, to a degree, so I could have one. I've always taken my boys out everywhere with me, it's just since having Mishka, we've gone out that little bit more :P :P  .

Stacybob was right. While people can just breed their pets, nothing will change, someone somewhere will always know best & breed for money or simply because 'they want puppies' :angry1: