Insisent on breeding

Elyse

Hi everyone,

I have a guy on my facebook group that's insistent on breeding his girl for one litter, then he's going to get her spayed.

I know I have to tell him to get his girl eye/hip scored, but what's the official name and what should the scores be?

OFSA? And Good/Excellent? Something like that.

Thanks...

[MENTION=1869]sutsibe[/MENTION]

Edited by SolitaryHowl

I'd check out www.htpuppiescb.com and http://www.dogplay.com/Breeding/ethics.html

Some of the clearances he should look into are hips, eyes, heart, and thyroid if he doesnt know what kind of dog he is breeding. Also he should have the stud undergo the same tests as well as a std test. He should also ensure he has homes before breeding and a contract for each and every puppy. No matter who they are given to.

Edited by jmscott

Is it the Facebook group "Siberian Husky Owners"?

I remember one guy on there looking to breed his dog.

Not registered and no health testing done SMH -_-

No, it's Ontario Siberian Huskies. I made the group, and I am so tempted to kick out this d**k whos against fixing dogs and cats.

Here in the US (not sure, but I think in Canada too), dogs' hips are usually scored by the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA), and are rated Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor - I personally wouldn't breed a dog with less than a "Good" rating. Eyes also need to be checked by a veterinary ophthalmologist, and are usually registered with Canine Eye Research Foundation (CERF) or the National Siberian Husky Club - I know that the SHCA registers, and would think that SHCC would as well.

Emphasize how much pain puppies with these diseases often experience, how expensive they are to treat, as well as the expenses of breeding. An after-hours C-section (and they almost always ARE after-hours!) can be horribly expensive, and it's quite possible to lose mom, litter or all of them! Is he willing and able to hand rear the puppies if mom should die, given that puppies need to eat every 2 hours?

Oh, and [MENTION=1869]sutsibe[/MENTION] they have a question that still hasn't been answered despite me and this other guy going back and forth on fixing vs not-fixing all day!

[h=5]I hope someone here can answer this... We have a 9 month old who went into her first heat about a month and a half ago and is still spotting and enlarged. Is this normal or should we be more concerned?? This is our first husky and want make sure she stays healthy. She is still full of energy and eating as normal.[/h]

Tell him I'm running up and down the country having to educate people that don't know what they're doing, I've had to report people for flogging them on the streets like they're objects and I'm being offered at least 3 free huskies a week, we DON'T need any more!!

Stacey xxx

[MENTION=2703]Staceybob[/MENTION]

I did. I made a big post about it. He hasn't responded, but Facebook says he's seen it. Hopefully he won't breed!

if this is the same guy then remove him.

No, they're 2 different guys. The 'other' guy (the fixing vs non-fixing) we sorta agreed to disagree and to only post links to unbiased websites to inform owners on the benefits and cons to fixing. There was this one website he posted that compared people who advocate fixing dogs to Nazis, called them 'Neuter Nazis' and compared dog population control to the Nazi's 'final solution'.

You should have seen me. I flipped out and I deleted the post, because that's just too pathetic for words.

Oh, and @sutsibe they have a question that still hasn't been answered despite me and this other guy going back and forth on fixing vs not-fixing all day!

I hope someone here can answer this... We have a 9 month old who went into her first heat about a month and a half ago and is still spotting and enlarged. Is this normal or should we be more concerned?? This is our first husky and want make sure she stays healthy. She is still full of energy and eating as normal.

I would probably have her checked out, as spotting that long after is not usual. There may be nothing wrong, but it's better to be safe than sorry! They sometimes will have what's called a "split-season" where they'll come out of heat and then a few weeks later go back in, and I wouldn't worry quite as much about that as continual spotting over a 6 week period of time.