Grrr....what a d**k!

Elyse

i just don't see the point in not neutering my animals. I would never breed them because i am not qualified to do so and it just increases Luka's risk of running away and never coming back in his search for females. I don't care if it's a "small risk of testicular cancer" I'll gladly get rid of that small chance without hesitation.

If neutering is harmful then why do rescues mandate that all other pets are neutered before they will allow you to adopt? Not to mention all of their animals are not intact either.

Not trying to be rude, just trying to understand this reasoning because it's not something i've ever heard before.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If neutering is harmful then why do rescues mandate that all other pets are neutered before they will allow you to adopt? Not to mention all of their animals are not intact either.

Because they cannot guarantee that all owners will be responsible. I have known of at least three owners with mixed breed dogs they pulled of the streets that were actively looking for dogs to breed them to. In one case I asked why they were breeding their dog, the answer was "because she is sweet and pretty."

I checked out his facebook page. Apparently he speaks Filipino, Google says...although the translating is always sketchy. Anybody know how to speak it and can translate?

He posted a great article where I learned some stuff, but honestly, I'd still fix any dog I get. The risk of any cancers, and even weight gain and such in females, IMO, is worth the risk because I'm never going to breed.

I don't want the risk of any pregnancies.

And most of the risks outlined in that article are small. Like it says 'double the risk of [this] cancer' but it says that risk of cancer is only < 1% anyways. So a 1% increase is worth it, IMO. It also says the risks vary from dog to dog, due to their genetics and the breed's predisposition to certain things.

And it says, for females, the chance of a female dog losing her figure and gaining weight is like 20%. That's not very much, and I've never had a girl so correct me if I'm wrong but...couldn't that be managed by less food and more exercise anyways?

EDIT: Yes, shelters usually require dogs to be fixed prior to being adopted to try to help with the overpopulation of dogs. In a perfect world, where everyone was responsible and there was none of this BYB and puppy mill bull, then I'm sure pets wouldn't have to be neutered.

Edited by SolitaryHowl

I've never worried about the weight gain with spaying. You are right, it is perfectly manageable, and it bothers me when people use that as an excuse not to spay.

I do support spaying and neutering, but if the owner has the knowledge, time, and experience to keep an intact dog in their household, I see no reason to have it done. And there are different ways to have a surgery done, one of which keeps the reproductive organs (amounts to a female having her tubes tied.)

babelfish translations are usually pretty accurate. I've used it to translate arabic on a Central Asian Ovcharka group.

Babelfish doesn't do Filipino.

I've tried 6 different sites. All the translations say that this:

Patay na Ito Na lason. 14months cya dito sa pix.

means

That poison has dead. Cya 14months pix here.

Him and one of his filipino friends are/were talking about his dog. He says its a shepherd/husky mix, but to me it looks like a rottweiler.

And I already knew there are different ways to get it done, just like how there are different ways for women to get it done. Tying the tubes, taking out the uterus but leaving the ovaries (thus the female dog still has her heat cycles, and the risks are void because there is still hormone production, so the only plus is no pregnancy.) and etc.

Most vets probably don't offer alternatives because a) They aren't taught how to do it in school. B) It is too invasive/dangerous and therefore expensive for both vet and owner? c) Nobody wants to deal with the heat cycles and the extreme hormonal changes twice a year, as well as the chance of false pregnancies and the like. I know I wouldn't want to deal with that.

Edited by SolitaryHowl

Douchebag - neutering and spaying is (i think) primarily to halt reproduction - the other benefits are..well, benefits surely?!

I would go as far to say it's also 'safe' and 'common courtesy' in some cases. There are so many huskies are going into rescue - each to their own, but I am for spaying and neutering !!

I consider myself a responsible owner. Yet all my dogs are neither spayed or neutered.

Just from your posts on here i agree that you are a responsible owner. May i ask why you choose not to?

My parents also have not had their male lab neutered and growing up we never had any of our dogs neutered. I don't consider them bad owners. I just wanted to adopt my next dog and that wasn't possible with Luka being intact. I'm not against it, I just didn't see why i wouldn't.

I consider myself a responsible owner. Yet all my dogs are neither spayed or neutered.

Yeah, I thought that would be taken negatively. I corrected in a later post that you 'might' be seen as irresponsible by the average owner because your dogs aren't fixed.

I posted that when I was irritable and I sorta generalized, so I'm sorry.

Not all owners who don't fix their dogs are irresponsible, obviously, but most of the ones I've encountered are. From being rude to the dog park, to not correcting their dog when they attack other dogs, to not correcting their dog after it cocked its leg and peed on my leg (and the owners SAW it!), and etc.

Just from your posts on here i agree that you are a responsible owner. May i ask why you choose not to?

My parents also have not had their male lab neutered and growing up we never had any of our dogs neutered. I don't consider them bad owners. I just wanted to adopt my next dog and that wasn't possible with Luka being intact. I'm not against it, I just didn't see why i wouldn't.

I had a long conversation with a champion show dog breeder and international judge. He was against neutering unless there was an active threat to health and in his 30+ years of breeding, showing and judging he'd one male dog who developed testicular cancer. Having listened to his arguments I was persuaded not to have mine done.

Togo can be a bit of a pain but he's manageable. He tends to be a bit more highly strung than Loki as he's beta dog

Yeah, I thought that would be taken negatively. I corrected in a later post that you 'might' be seen as irresponsible by the average owner because your dogs aren't fixed.

I posted that when I was irritable and I sorta generalized, so I'm sorry.

Not all owners who don't fix their dogs are irresponsible, obviously, but most of the ones I've encountered are. From being rude to the dog park, to not correcting their dog when they attack other dogs, to not correcting their dog after it cocked its leg and peed on my leg (and the owners SAW it!), and etc.

No need to apologise, and I didn't take it personally. I was simply making a statement no different than anyone else.

I also understand about controlling an I un-neutered male. In fact at rugby on Saturday a young lad(20) brought his un-neutered male rottie which because he wasn't paying enough attention to his dog cocked its leg inside the club house.. In the 4+ years I've been taking Togo (and 3+Loki) they've never done that.

And, on the other side of things, neutering doesn't always change marking and dominance behaviours. Suka's still a cocky dominant little sh**t (I say that term lovingly! :) ) and he's neutered. He's marked inside before when we first got him, but after he got corrected a few times he stopped that behaviour.

My vet says this is 'probably' because he might have gotten fixed later in life, but I'm thinking it may just be part of his personality. He pees on any vertical object outside he can find, even little tufts of high grass if there are no trees or poles.

And, on the other side of things, neutering doesn't always change marking and dominance behaviours. Suka's still a cocky dominant little sh**t (I say that term lovingly! :) ) and he's neutered. He's marked inside before when we first got him, but after he got corrected a few times he stopped that behaviour.

My vet says this is 'probably' because he might have gotten fixed later in life, but I'm thinking it may just be part of his personality. He pees on any vertical object outside he can find, even little tufts of high grass if there are no trees or poles.

Lol Togo has to poo on the highest branch or grass leaf possible. He's also brilliant at getting off the path and as far into the hedge as possible to poo

Lol Togo has to poo on the highest branch or grass leaf possible. He's also brilliant at getting off the path and as far into the hedge as possible to poo

Haha - Suka used to be like that but not anymore. Right now he insists on pooing in the middle of the sidewalk/road...which is easier for cleanup but people give me dirty looks like its my fault he poos there! (I sometimes walk him on deserted/quiet roads because the asphalt is better for his joints than the concrete in the sidewalk)