Your a winner....x amount visited today

Stranger

hiya :)

strange thing keeps happening to me on this forum.

Couple of times when i have click on something say thread or profile i get taken to another page which says congratulations your our x amount visitor today.

i dont hang around to see what it says i just do "back" or exit browser and start again.

any clues as to why this is happening, and if anyone else has experience this.

Note: - i am on a work laptop, through works internet which monitors everything :eek: if it was a virus it in therory (previous experience dictates) would pick it up.

cheers

Toni x

Have you scanned your computer for spyware? Some good programs I like:

Spybot: Search and Destroy

Malwarebytes: Anti-Malware (Sketchy name, but trust me, its safe!)

Ad-Aware used to be a good one, but then it turned into a huge resource hog so I ditched it.

yeah like Elyse says sounds like you got something nasty in there. :eek:

Those are definitely not any kind of forum pop ups.

Have you scanned your computer for spyware? Some good programs I like:

Spybot: Search and Destroy

Malwarebytes: Anti-Malware (Sketchy name, but trust me, its safe!)

Ad-Aware used to be a good one, but then it turned into a huge resource hog so I ditched it.

Our company uses ESET NOD...i cant load anything on the computer because IT lock permission to do ANYTHING on our computers but it normally picks up everything and anything wasnt sure if it was my computer or not

yeah like Elyse says sounds like you got something nasty in there. :eek:

Those are definitely not any kind of forum pop ups.

ok, thats good to know...narrow down what it could be if its not this forum its got to be something...time for back up me thinks

ill have to show you guys when it comes up next..only does it on this website :S cheers though lol....

Edited by Stranger
re worded cause could of been read wrong lol

ok, thats good to know...narrow down what it could be if its not this forum its got to be something...time for back up me thinks

ill have to show you guys when it comes up next..only does it on this website :S cheers though lol....

You go on other forums :eek: :D

Chances are you have installed some kind of freeware.

You have to be very careful what you install on your PC or laptop.

quite often they load these up with all kinds of pop ups or stuff that redirects your browser to all kinds of websites.

Some of it is harmless just getting you to visit their website

others can steal the contents of your phone book and use your computer to mail all your contacts with spam from YOU.

or even worse plug up your system with viruses which can corrupt your system and also mail that out to your contacts list.

Download the two programs that Elyse mentioned they are free and should clear up the problem.

Good luck :up:

Chances are you have installed some kind of freeware.

You have to be very careful what you install on your PC or laptop.

quite often they load these up with all kinds of pop ups or stuff that redirects your browser to all kinds of websites.

Some of it is harmless just getting you to visit their website

others can steal the contents of your phone book and use your computer to mail all your contacts with spam from YOU.

or even worse plug up your system with viruses which can corrupt your system and also mail that out to your contacts list.

Download the two programs that Elyse mentioned they are free and should clear up the problem.

Good luck :up:

we cant download or install anything on our computers, not even adobe reader...cant even update jarva without administration password...IT have blocked most websites too...e.g facebook etc.

the virus would only of come from a website, but nothing ive installed as we cant do things like that

but thats for the advice... :D

Actually, [MENTION=1354]Andy[/MENTION] ESET NOD is pretty good about catching the odd programs that get installed. They have a whole slew of "things" classed as probably undesirable and warn you when you "try to install them" (even when the install is being done as system manager) if you approve then they'll happily allow you to install them but most of the time when it comes up it's something I already know I don't want -- toolbars, for example.

As for what it is [MENTION=6875]Stranger[/MENTION] << teasing >> why don't you go ahead and see what it is you've won?? Might be a big prize, then again it might be a booby prize!

Actually, @Andy ESET NOD is pretty good about catching the odd programs that get installed. They have a whole slew of "things" classed as probably undesirable and warn you when you "try to install them" (even when the install is being done as system manager) if you approve then they'll happily allow you to install them but most of the time when it comes up it's something I already know I don't want -- toolbars, for example.

As for what it is @Stranger << teasing >> why don't you go ahead and see what it is you've won?? Might be a big prize, then again it might be a booby prize!

if i win something ill let you know...if i loose...hmm i wont have a computer so guess its a win win..lots of money...or no computer to do my work on :)

I found something interesting from a Mac site. It might apply to you. Be aware that when it says: "You do not have a virus" it is referring to Mac OSX systems.

[h=1]Why am I being redirected to other sites?[/h] Some users experience a problem with being directed automatically to sites that they didn't intend to visit. This may also occur when searching with Google. You don't have a virus! It's a problem with your DNS settings, either in your Mac or in your router. Try resetting your router. Here's how to fix the problem in Mac OS X:

1. Go to System Preferences > Network 2. There you will see a padlock icon in the lower left corner. If the padlock is already open (unlocked), go directly to step 3. If the padlock is closed and the note says "Click the lock to make changes", click the lock and enter your administrator password, so you can change DNS servers. 3. Select your network on the left column, click the "Advanced" button in the lower right area of the window. 4. Click the DNS tab to see the listing of your DNS Servers 5. If any of the DNS servers are greyed out after entering your admin password, you may be able to simply add the OpenDNS or Google servers listed below. If you need to remove greyed-out servers, refer to this: 10.5: Disable DHCP-specified DNS servers 6. Select each set of numbers and click the "-" icon for each to remove all existing DNS servers 7. Click the "+" icon to add the following servers. You may choose either OpenDNS or Google servers (not both sets): OpenDNS (OpenDNS has announced they are blocking the Flashback trojan): Primary DNS Server: 208.67.222.222 Secondary DNS Server: 208.67.220.220 Google: Primary DNS Server: 8.8.8.8 Secondary DNS Server: 8.8.4.4 8. When you've completed your changes, click "OK" to close the Advanced settings window 9. Click "Apply" on the Network window to save your changes As an alternative, you can use namebench to find the fastest DNS servers available for your computer.