Which harness

Niber

I am hoping to start running with Niber but having been offered an x back harness, it has been suggested that this may not be suitable for use with a bike as the connection point will be too high.

What are people using with bikes? Also hoping he will pull a cart for the kids so looking for a harness suitable for both.

all bike joring photos ive ever seen shows them with the cross back harness....

normally accompanied by a extension pole to rise the lead above wheel level and out front of the bike, reducing tangles with front wheel.

i cant see it being a problem, its that or a harness but then you have the same situation of location....

HOWEVER...is he going to be pulling or running beside you?

if beside you a normal harness would probably be better due to the position of the hook....

err...thats not right....thats not the picture lol...cross back is right picture

the H back should be

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQVBPBLh7pGqLnohsOjbgyKBhjK8R7paybdzJD3ggpk5PgpA6s9A

at the same time ive looked and can see this one too though...

http://www.mushingsupplies.com/harness.html

which shows another form of a H back (called seavy)

Edited by Stranger
need to learn how to spell

Scooters and bikers use a different type of harness than sledders and carters use. The harness that Stranger posted is more common for bikejoring and scootering since there is a height difference between attachment on the bike and the dog. H-backs and X-backs are used for carting and sledding since the connection is more level. The main difference is H-backs tend to fit more robust dogs better and X-backs for more of a standard or thin build. Regardless I do not recommend starting pulling until they reach 17-18 months as there is still growth happening and you don't want to overly strain the growth plates.

These are the harnesses I use for cart/sled with my team-

http://www.alpineoutfitters.net/secure/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=17

Edited by HuskyMom09

Great post Niber! I've been wondering this myself. Looks like we use an "H" back on Cj for her everyday normal walks. Is this a bad thing if we are planning on training her to pull?

I'm far from experienced as Niber is my first dog, but it could be bad if you are getting her to wear it but also telling her not to pull. I was doing the same but now use a gentle leader to walk him and will use a harness when he's expected to pull only