General question re walkies lol

Kieferwolf

Was talking to a lass over by mine other day she has two dogs and she looked at me funny when I said my sibes only get walked once a day.

Is that all she said, mine are out at least 2-3 times

now bearing in mind I have three sibes and minimum they get walked Is anywhere from 3miles upto if on a weekend 7-8 miles. Gradually I am also running the 3 together, our youngest is still abit young for ten mile runs just yet lol

just curious how often people take there dogs out what distances etc

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

depends on work really at the minutes if im not at work they do 1 mile in the morning and about 2 in the evening if im at work during the day they just get the evening walk x

As Kodi is still a baby we try and limit him to 2 long walks (4-5 miles) a week and shorter walks (1-2 miles) for the rest of it. On work days he gets one shorter walk in the morning and one in the evening. At the weekend he has one long walk on both days. We will increase the length of the longer walks as he gets older but the shorter walks seem to be just fine for him at the moment. I'm not sure if it's because he is a Mal but he can take or leave his walks and is in no particular hurry to get anywhere when we go out :)

See my partner works long hours ie today she started work at 8am and she will be home around 10-1030. She doesn't work that everyday but easy 2-3 days a week

i work nights now I am back home ie 3-4 ten hour shifts so its either I walk sibes the minute I get in or on me day offs and I prefer one longer walk because if I walk my dogs 15-30 mins they look at me like is that all when we get home lol

As Kodi is still a baby we try and limit him to 2 long walks (4-5 miles) a week and shorter walks (1-2 miles) for the rest of it. On work days he gets one shorter walk in the morning and one in the evening. At the weekend he has one long walk on both days. We will increase the length of the longer walks as he gets older but the shorter walks seem to be just fine for him at the moment. I'm not sure if it's because he is a Mal but he can take or leave his walks and is in no particular hurry to get anywhere when we go out :)

That's what we did with all of our dogs when younger

the whole what is it five mins for every month in age I don't believe applies with a sibe or Mally

Usually two to three per day. I don't know which route(s) Ruth walks but one of my own favourite is about 2.3 miles long. I vary it so sometimes it's longer and sometimes it's shorter depending on the weather and dogs. So that is ~2.3 mile per walk. I'd love to do more but they're getting into the old age and I noticed they slowly require (and want) less distance per walk. Each walk is usually 45-60 minutes long.

These are just the regular walks by the way. Once in a while I take them to somewhere else (the forest, dunes or beach) and do a lengthy one :)

i take loki out in the morning once dropped kids off at school for about 2 hours everyday then he gets a good run at the weekend, when my partner is home he gets extra walks in the evening, as he works away for 35 days, loki loves it tho as its like father and son time to him haha xx

Suka is out only once a day, for 50 minutes (about 3 km). We go at night when its cooler during the summer, and during the day when its warmer during winter. I know its not much, but that's all he wants. He's also 7 years old.

My guys usually get 1 hour a day on work days, non work days 1-2 hours weekends we take them too the beach/woods usually 3-4 hours

they are getting a touch less than normal at the moment our boy is going through obedience classes on the weekend our girl is doing ring craft on a Saturday.

i have one of them pedometer iPhone aps upto about 19miles for the month so far just got in with the nutters they are knackered

Mine don't get walked every day, they do play in the backyard all day too. I find they are happy with whatever they are given. In winter they start to get a bit restless after a few days

They also get trips to the dog park/beach for a few hours on the weekends

From my experience don't let people guilt you into what you 'should' be doing because it is what they do. Everyones different

depending on the situation, mine normally get walked in the morning and afternoon, not so much in the winter as morning walk is at 6 in the morning which is too dark

But every evening they get a walk, some times half hour but more often than not longer.

At weekends we go on longer walks

one of my dogs could walk forever the other is rather lazy...but they get play time at home and back garden time if their walks wasnt enough.

shouldnt worry about how many or how long, as long as they are getting what they need and you feel they need thats all you need to worry about (my opinion)

Sorry to ask, I'm a new siberian husky owner. Beau is 13weeks . She gets 2-3 walks a day. Weekend she gets 1hr each day. She has access to garden all the time. I was recommended 5min per month of age. So they don't develop hip probs.

Is this true? And what did everyone else do.

Thanks xx

Sorry to ask, I'm a new siberian husky owner. Beau is 13weeks . She gets 2-3 walks a day. Weekend she gets 1hr each day. She has access to garden all the time. I was recommended 5min per month of age. So they don't develop hip probs.

Thanks xx

We did about the same as you with ours

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

Thanks xx

yeah we sort of did this, they got 10-15 mins in the morning, and then half hour in evening when we just got them, then added to it....but they played ALLLLLL day lol puppies are cute like that lol

I think it's different for all dogs. Mollie let's us know if she wants a walk but she gets two walks a day and the time and distance all depend on who is walking her and what shifts we are on. When Nick walks her she goes further in a short time as he marches with her but when I take her out we don't go as far as I am too busy talking to other owners and Mollie is running around with their dog :) sometimes she just drags me home as she wants her food :)

I think it's different for all dogs. Mollie let's us know if she wants a walk but she gets two walks a day and the time and distance all depend on who is walking her and what shifts we are on. When Nick walks her she goes further in a short time as he marches with her but when I take her out we don't go as far as I am too busy talking to other owners and Mollie is running around with their dog :) sometimes she just drags me home as she wants her food :)

lol...i cant take mine out before dinner time, wouldnt be able to get them out the door...dinner comes first lol

Panda usually goes out 2-3 times a day.

Morning walks are around 1 hour, when i get home from work he goes to the dog park for 2 Hours, and sometimes he will get a night time walk depending on how tired he is from the park, which is about a 40 min to - 1 hour walk. But usually as long as he gets to go to the park he is tired out and will just lay/sleep till the next morning.