treats & training while with other dogs

Stranger

Morning peeps...

i decided to stop taking treats with me because i didnt want any trouble...since then i have not done anything about it, but because i am still training, and wish to continue with further training while out i would like to see if someone has a solution.

Kaiden showed some food agression a while ago while we was at a dog meet. i was getting both him and his brother to sit. Another dog came over, Anneka's dog i believe Leyka came over to sit and have a treat too...i didnt invite her, (which may of been why i got a reaction from kaiden), but when you go to dog meets you tend to give treats out to everyone (permitting owner is ok with it) so its not something that hasnt happened before and quite frankly i didnt have a problem with it.

Well i gave a treat to Parker and Kaiden, and went to give one to Leyka and Kaiden went for her in a telling off manor, she wasnt hurt, apart from her pride and she stayed away after that (sorry leyka :().

I pulled kaiden away, and put the treats away obviously appologised...end of.

Now i have since been to dog meets, and Kaiden is fine in a group recieving treats from others, and didnt seem to react at all

hes done this once before, with Casper a friends lab, i was sitting on the floor with them outside, getting kaiden to sit, lie, leave...and casper came over, admittadely i cant remember if i told casper to sit or he went to get the treat from my hand that i was getting kaiden to leave, and kaiden had a bit of a growl/snap at him...swiftly followed by a Kaiden...No...again removed the treats from the situation and ignored kaiden.

Question is, he never shows agression normally, when we are at home Parker guards his food if he has had enough from kaiden, and will run to his bowl if Kaiden is heading in that direction, but kaiden has NEVER EVER displayed toys/treats/food/any agreession with parker, and wont we treats are being handed out by other owners

how do i get him to "share" when we're out as i would like to be able to get him to listen to me while other dogs are around, which means treats etc...if there is no solution ill just continue not taking treats...not biggy, just annoying :)

ta :) x

Ohhh i dont know tbh both mine dont care what dogs are around they just sit nicely and wait patiently.

I couldn't do it with my old boy Logan though he wouldnt allow any dogs near him with treats or food so i just didn't do it atall

Ohhh i dont know tbh both mine dont care what dogs are around they just sit nicely and wait patiently.

I couldn't do it with my old boy Logan though he wouldnt allow any dogs near him with treats or food so i just didn't do it atall

its a strange one, he doesnt seem fussed when getting treats from a stranger, its just if i am giving him treats lol :( i just wont in future lol

Anya had a big problem with this, even in the house, and especially with treats. This was my solution: I borrowed a dog, have both dogs sit, or ask Anya to sit knowing the other dog will join in for a treat. Then I tell Anya WAIT and give the other dog a treat, followed by Anya. If she allowed the other to be treated first, she got a treat, if she allowed it without whining or moving, she got two. I had to keep verbally reminding her WAIT initially.

Kaiden may be more difficult than Anya. The first time or two, Anya was a mad dog not having it, so I would give her a treat first, then the other dog, then give her another if she allowed it. The double treat incentive got her in line quickly, you may have to do that longer than I did.

She's considerably less protective of her food in general now. This might possibly be a bad thing if you're sharing space with another dog that may hog Kaiden's food, so think about that too! Good luck... let me know if it works! :)

p.s. oh also, wait is a command I taught anya previously... use whatever equivalent you have if you have one. Maybe stay.

Edited by Pilot

I've been having this problem with Juno too. She's been attacking out first dog when it seems as though Sadie will get treats before her or love before her. I've just been giving Sadie a treat and pet, then I'll give Juno a treat to show that when Sadie gets love and a treat, so does she. It's a work in progress..

Anya had a big problem with this, even in the house, and especially with treats. This was my solution: I borrowed a dog, have both dogs sit, or ask Anya to sit knowing the other dog will join in for a treat. Then I tell Anya WAIT and give the other dog a treat, followed by Anya. If she allowed the other to be treated first, she got a treat, if she allowed it without whining or moving, she got two. I had to keep verbally reminding her WAIT initially.

Kaiden may be more difficult than Anya. The first time or two, Anya was a mad dog not having it, so I would give her a treat first, then the other dog, then give her another if she allowed it. The double treat incentive got her in line quickly, you may have to do that longer than I did.

She's considerably less protective of her food in general now. This might possibly be a bad thing if you're sharing space with another dog that may hog Kaiden's food, so think about that too! Good luck... let me know if it works! :)

p.s. oh also, wait is a command I taught anya previously... use whatever equivalent you have if you have one. Maybe stay.

we already use the command wait so this would fit in perfectly, he doesnt do it with Parker so will see if i can find another dog that would suite this type of training...thanks..ill let you know how it goes :)