Life in a haunted house

Franklin Phil

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you able to record those voices? You got me really interested here :)

Of course this isn't the first time I've been asked this. The problem has always been that the voices are so infrequent and have never lasted long enough to ready a recording device. Having said that, the prospect of recording things heard around the house has certainly become more likely than it was back when I bought the house. Technological advances have made this more of a likelyhood. Yes, I have an iPhone which is usually near me. But still, there are two things that would hinder this. Like I said, I never know when they are going to occur. Unlike your typical horror movie they don't only occur at night. They are heard in the night but no more than any time throughout the day. I imagine it is also likely the voices occur when there is no one even around to hear them except the dogs, which for some reason show little interest.

The other thing that hinders this idea is my general lack of interest. What would I do with such a recording? Yes, I believe what we hear upstairs would easily be heard crystal clear in a audio recording. But so what? Who cares? I know, I know. The folks on the forum would be interested. It's really hard to imagine being able to get too my phone, open an app and start recording before it's over. Not impossible to imagine. Some of these events last longer than others. My wife and I have always been more interested in just listening.

I've never believed in haunted houses, or ghosts, but maybe that's because I've never experienced anything like that. The way TV shows/movies portray stuff like that is hokey, IMO. And, yet, I believe dragons once existed a LONG time ago (without the breathing fire, of course!).

Wow, you're my hero for staying in that house for that long! I'm such a coward, I would BOLT out of there as soon as the first voice was heard...and I'd never come back to the house!

Epic video, but I think I remember seeing it before?

I'm curious have you ever taken your dogs down there to see how they would react? If not, would take them down there just to see what reaction you get out of them. Maybe see how they would react to the closed doors?

Adak will not even step one foot on the first step going down toward the front door. A long time ago I tried to carry him down those steps to put him in the car for a run to the vet only to be peed on and nipped at. Since that time, anytime we go anywhere with Adak, we take him out the back door, through the gate too the car. He loves it.He's just weird about the steps in the house. However, this has it's advantages. You could leave the front door wide open and not worry about Adak shooting out of it. Sadly though, you CAN'T leave the front door open because the other two dogs wouldn't give it a second thought. "BOOM" they would be gone.

From the front door there are steps that go down too the main basement. Obviously anything Adak has learned about the main basement he's heard from the other dogs but we go down there often. The other two dogs follow us, tails wagging, tongues flapping... no problem. The main basement is largely below ground level. There are narrow windows about four feet up from the floor that are inches off the ground out front. The door that opens to a narrow and rather steep staircase leading too the sub basement is down in this room.. No. I don't take the dogs down there. I don't go down there myself. I don't even open the door. At the bottom of those stairs is a tiny floor space and another door that opens into the sub basement. I can count on one hand how many times I've passed through that door.

As for the doors that are locked in the sub basement. I was told about them when I bought the house. That's how I know there is a plurality of doors. I've always assumed two, but I really don't know for sure. I've only actually seen one of them that can be seen looking down the hall with a paddle lock on it. I assume the other (others?) is around the corner. I have never even been down that hall.

This is all so interesting...I couldn't resist going down that hall! but then again I go and do ghost hunts and enjoy and am fascinated by these types of places!! Last year we were in Reno Nevada, Not to far out of Reno is a town (Virginia City) that has a "Haunted" Hotel....I made a special trip just to check it out. The folks there were kind enough to let us see one of the rooms! The Hotel is The Gold Hill Hotel if anyone cares to know!

:) I believe this too :)

(going off topic a little but...)

:)

I believe this because dragons have been depicted in folklore, legends, etc from all over the world when there was NO WAY civilizations could have communicated with each other. Each civilization had its own interpretation of the dragon (wyverns, chinese dragons, etc) but key similarities remained (wings/flight, etc)

8-10 years ago (can't exactly remember, but judging by the house we were in at the time) myself and Molly's_mum had a couple of 'experiences'.

A number of times, we have felt a cat walking across the bed when our cat didn't sleep in our room.

Once, the middle of the bed lifted up with both of us on it, in the same way that you might lay on a lower bunk with your legs upwards to lift the upper bunk (how many people do that on school trips where you stay in a dorm?) I couldn't even lay on my side under that bed (it was quite low) so there is no way anyone could lay on their back and lift it with their legs and yet it happened.

I think the place was less than 50 years old but have no idea what was there before. A previous occupant had died (of natural causes so nothing traumatic which is sometimes the cause for supposed hauntings) somewhere in his 80s in the house (not sure if it was in the bedroom though). No idea if they had any cats. That is the only source of a (possible?) spirit that we could find. There was never anything malevolent though; in fact when these 'things' were happening, I felt a particularly strong sense of calmness. There was plenty of malevolence going on outside the house though - due to some local scrotes.

• 10 months later...