Why bad press?

Niber

That worked well with Niber for a while but I want him to pull when old enough, so worried it would have an adverse effect. Too many people see the halti as a muzzle, but it really calms him down

I still go out running with blaze he knows the commands so knows when he can't pull n when he can

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to echo what JMSCOTT noted. The term 'husky' has become a generic term for northern breeds and is most often used improperly. I too always refer to my girl as a Siberian Husky, to help differentiate.

Sibes play hard and rough and it's often mistaken for aggression, which is sad.

The thing is, with the number of members we have to make our voices heard, it's our job to educate the public about our breed. Correct those around you when they are making improper statements about the breed.

If at all possible, get your huskies out in the public eye (being aware that one false move can put that 'red dot' on your huskies back). To do so, however, YOU must know exactly how your furry child will react in any given situation. My girl has been out in the public eye since 8 weeks old. She goes to work with me at least once a week, she goes to the care center, day cares, preschools, library and has even gone to the bank. She goes to parades and town celebrations. She's so often in the public eye with me that most folks in town know her by name.

I've had some kids even correct others when they call her a "husky" - 'Oh no, that's Ryn - She's a Siberian Husky.' they explain.

The thing is, (and I'm a member of the media) is that when terrible things happen with this breed, as with others - it's easy to lump the breed under a "generic" term. Improper? Yes, but reporters have to 'dumb things down' for the general public. If we tried to explain all the facts, we'd probably lose 60 percent of our readers. The general public isn't the brightest when it comes to various topics. No, it's not right, but those are the facts.

AND when a problem with a Siberian is reported, the general public refers to them as 'huskies' and therefore the vicious circle begins.

It's up to each and every owner to provide proper information on the breed, to get these guys out in the public and educate, educate, educate those around us....before it's our breed that has the stigma attached like the pitties. And one more thing - we have to help those owners in their battles - for if we don't, we have no right to ask for help when its our breed being challenged.