Taste of the Wild -> Acana

shockinblue

Hi, I've been feeding Jack and my older cocker spaniel, Max, Taste of the Wild Sierra Mountain for almost a year now. I would like to switch to Acana Lamb & Okanagan formula because it's Canadian, with fresh local ingredients. It sounds and looks great and wonderful, but the one thing I'm worried about is the oats.

I'm not entirely sure if Jack's allergic to oats, hopefully he isn't, but I figured this formula will work since the current one is also lamb based and it's the only meat product I haven't seen him have a problem with.

Has anyone here tried this particular formula from Acana?

Haven't tried it.

Acana's Canadian!? Awesome, I may have to consider switching to it too from TOTW as long as the price difference isn't insane.

Do you know if they give out free samples (or if you can order samples online) to see if they'll like it and tolerate it?

EDIT: I just sent them a question asking if it would be possible to send a sample-sized bag with a few night's worth of feedings of the Pacifica and the Wild Prairie regional formulas. I checked them out, and they seem really awesome!

For me, though, the only downside is I'd have to drive for 40 minutes to get to the closest place that sells it. Lame.

Edited by SolitaryHowl

Maybe you can find a store close to your area or a city away that will deliver. Some stores in Toronto will deliver. But I'm not sure how far they're willing to go, haha.

I usually buy TotW from Global Pet Foods. I think Acana is cheaper than TotW, maybe by (at most) $10. Global Pet Foods gives 10% off if you buy at least 3 of the biggest bags (30lb), and then for every 10 bags you get 1 free. Which is awesome. But I'd like to save a bit and going Canadian and fresh sounds pretty legit.

Acana is seriously expensive for those of us in America. On chewy.com, a 28.6lb bag of Acana is $68.99, while a 30lb bag of TOTW sierra mountain is $46.99.

I know of tons of people who used Acana for a long time, but their new formula change is causing dogs to have diarrhea.

I know that if I had to chose between Orijen Adult (29.7lbs for 69.99) and Acana lamb, I would chose the Orijen. It just doesn't make sense to spend that much money on dog food that contains grain

TotW 30lb costs me $71.99 plus tax up here. But I believe Acana is slightly cheaper.

Yeah, that's what TOTW costs for me too.

OMG - just found a Global Pet Foods where I live! Hopefully they'll carry it. I just bought a 30lb bag of TOTW, but 1 bag lasts me 3.5 months so it'll be awhile if/when I switch. :P

I'll let you know what Acana says, when/if they respond.

IF i remember correctly they are pretty evenly priced, though im pretty sure Acana is slightly more expensive. for a 30lb bag i believe it was around the 74.99 - 77.99 mark.

I saw the other thread where u asked why over ToTW, no particular reason, just wanted to switch to a different formula. Panda did really well on Acana Ranchlands, until they switched the formula up a little bit, i then switched to Orijen, and now he's on a Raw Diet.

how can one bag last you 3.5 months! I have Jack and my dad's cocker spaniel on this and one bag lasts 25 days! ;A;

Suka only eats once a day (1.25- 1.5 cups a day). His choice, not mine, though I had to cut down his amount a little cause he was gaining weight like crazy as he's slowing down now...

Oh, and also...not sure if you need this anymore, but I got a reply back from Acana re: the sample food....

Hello Elyse,

Thank you for your email and interest in Champion Petfoods.

Although we don’t offer ORIJEN or ACANA in sample sizes, we do produce a specially-priced 340G “TRIAL-SIZE” ORIJEN and ACANA products that you can find at any ORIJEN or ACANA retailer for around $3-$4. The idea of the 340g product is to provide a full bowlful (at low cost) which will give you and your dog or cat a clear indication of ORIJEN’S or ACANA’s performance before investing in a larger package size. The Trial Size bags can be purchased at any ORIJEN or ACANA retailer - please check the store locator on our website for a retailer that is closest to you (http://championpetfoods.com/where-to-buy/).

If you have any other questions or I can be of further assistance please do write back.

Best Regards,