Husky owner stalking!

pacific4130

Yes. I feel like that all the time when I see another husky - its only happened a few times in the last 3 years!

I don't want to start anything here, but I'm a really shy person when you meet me in person (on the internet, you'd never know as I can "hide" behind my computer!) And I'd like to think I'm a good owner.

Some people are extroverts (like most husky/dog owners I've seen) yet some are introverts like myself. There's nothing wrong with it.

If they were being rude, that's different, but if somebody were to randomly approach me on the street (dog or no!) I would feel pretty defensive and I wouldn't want to talk, I'd rather let them do the talking. It's just my personality...

I agree with you Elyse, just because a person is less than forth coming doesn't immediately make them a bad owner. There's many occasions people on the forum have complained about the presumptuousness of others who walk up to their dog and start petting without asking first to do so. There's many occasions people have stopped you only to insult your dog by the ingnorance of their knowledge of the breed. Or perhaps they're just in a hurry and experience tells them they could be there a while chatting so avoid eye contact. I'm guilty of all three plus a certain amount of reserve dependant on my mood. Other days I'll make a beeline for other husky owners as the groans from my OH will attest to ha!

I didn't always walk mine on a belt and the two I cared for before getting my own were always walked off lead but their owner and myself were and are responsible people.

It just takes all sorts I guess lol :rolleyes:

Oh there's one husky that whizzes past the knoll in front of our close attached to a bike. I've not managed to catch him yet :)

Edited by Povodny

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the two I cared for before getting my own were always walked off lead but their owner and myself were and are responsible people.

Kind of an oxymoron for me, but that's another debate entirely.

Just to reiterate, I'm not on about quiet people so much or even people who don't say hello. It's more the people who do talk, but remain completely ambivalent about the whole husky thing. Sort of like, 'meh, it's a husky; so what?'. It seems weird to me. I can get it with, say, labrador owners. They're very common and I can imagine a lot of people own them just as a family pet and aren't interest in the breed. Huskies, however, are quite a unique pet to have and surely demand at least some level of interest in the breed.

Just to reiterate, I'm not on about quiet people so much or even people who don't say hello. It's more the people who do talk, but remain completely ambivalent about the whole husky thing. Sort of like, 'meh, it's a husky; so what?'. It seems weird to me. I can get it with, say, labrador owners. They're very common and I can imagine a lot of people own them just as a family pet and aren't interest in the breed. Huskies, however, are quite a unique pet to have and surely demand at least some level of interest in the breed.

look at it this way lab owners may think the same thing ... not EVERYONE loves huskies

Yes. My mom even does it. She was getting out of her car a while back and saw a woman jogging with a husky and ran and caught up to her and said "Hey! My daughter has a husky too. He's a reddish color too. But he has brown eyes".

The women didn't seem as excited as my mom was.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Haha your mum too? Pmsl my mun sends me pics of huskies she meets.

Once she sent me a pic and i said oh yes a lovely mally pmsl bless her she has no clue.

As I said, it takes all sorts. Although huskies are now a very popular breed, the testament to that is the amount now in shelters because so many people want one for its looks without understanding its temperament.

And there's no debate needed on whether I'm responsible or not :)

I'm not opening that can of worms! Done before!

I get your point. Perhaps I am expecting too much and should be a bit more realistic about some of the people who get their hands on a husky. My first concern is for the dog though, I'd happily risk offending someone if it helps to educate them - especially if it helps avoid their dogs escaping and being hit by a car.

I don't buy the whole 'My dog, I'll treat it how I want' way of thinking. If everyone took that view animals in the UK would be treated like they are in places like India. We owe it to our husky kids to stand up for the breed - they don't have a voice of their own (well they do but who knows what woooooo woooo wool means?!?).

Does anyone else have EVERYONE they freaking know send them anything related to a husky constantly? whether it be a funny picture, magazine article, clothes. lol i guess people know i'm obsessed with my dog.... :redface1:

I actually get phonecalls from people saying that there is something about huskies/wolves on the TV right now :rolleyes:

No Alexandra, people just roll their eyes when I mention my dogs in that ' not again' fashion

And perhaps Richard it may pay to get to know people before passing judgment on them :)

Are you insinuating that I'm judging you? I think you may be being a bit sensitive there as it's quite clear that it's not my intention - I've even reiterated it twice on this thread.

speaking of that picturs' date=' my mom calls maggie her grand-puppy. My husband found a magnet for her that says my grand-puppy is an alaskan malamute! Well we want kids one day but right now its just puppies![/quote']

Omg where i need a husky one for my mum!