Off Lead Dog Park Recall Practice

Staceybob

I tend to make those click and tut noises because they are more interesting for her to listen to. Sometimes I think the value of the word "come" gets lost as the sibes get bored, but generally Aleu knows I only really say her name when I want something from her, so she'll come over when I call for her.

Oh that's interesting. I tend to think any sound or word can become boring to the dog or the dog can learn to tune out if we allow them to, realistically dogs can't speak English so the commands we train them only have as much value as we assign to them.

The dog whistle sounds like a good idea. Does it have to be an actual dog whistle, or can it just be a regular whistle that humans can hear as well? I would guess an actual dog whistle would be less annoying for everybody, but harder to train cause you can't hear it yourself?

Really? I usually only call him name with the first command to get his attention (he usually looks at me when I call him by name), and then I say the command. So, if I'm starting a training session with a whole bunch of commands (sit, stay, down, up, go away, etc), then I would only say his name before the first command to get his attention.

It wouldn't really matter, you could use any whistle as it's just going to be the sound you pair with the command and reward experience.

You just want to be careful that saying their name doesn't become part of the command sequence so the commands always have to be said as 'Suka, come', 'Suka, heel', 'Suka, sit' etc as opposed to come, heel, sit.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bearing in mind however I dont really use come, I try to make interesting noises because im more for training Emergency Recall, so things like silly noises and moving backwards rapidly would be what id do if she got off in an unsafe area. If I wanted to do your typical sit here... Walk to the other side, dance around a bit and then call her, then id probably traditionally use the word come.

This isn't a formal way how id teach my clients as such, just this is the relationship I have with Aleu and this is how me and her communicate but often people see the value of that lack of formal behavior with her and more the love and respect form of things.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Bearing in mind however I dont really use come, I try to make interesting noises because im more for training Emergency Recall, so things like silly noises and moving backwards rapidly would be what id do if she got off in an unsafe area. If I wanted to do your typical sit here... Walk to the other side, dance around a bit and then call her, then id probably traditionally use the word come.

This isn't a formal way how id teach my clients as such, just this is the relationship I have with Aleu and this is how me and her communicate but often people see the value of that lack of formal behavior with her and more the love and respect form of things.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

We all can have different criteria for recall... :) I train recall both for formal use in the ring and for real life scenarios, my criteria is the same in terms of what I expect for the dogs response, and I train the dog to comply in drive for both, but obviously in the ring there is more formality, I do think dogs can contextualise as well. However although competition recall requires more formality, I would say I'm just as strict if not stricter with my criteria for training recall outside of competition work because that's when having a dog recall can really matter!

It would seem having been on this forum for some years there are a few ways of being able to train your dogs some I have heard of some not but anything that works for you is not necessarily wrong IMO.

I have seen loads of stuff on here by Bec who does come across as a good trainer on the other hand I have stood there and watch Stacy at work and she is very good and seems to be learning new things all the time :)

I get asked a lot at camps and on walks how come your dogs are so well-behaved let me tell you [MENTION=17]Susan[/MENTION] does there training in the garden and on walks but I don't feel that's the answer they still play up for her every now and then much to her annoyance lol

So what about ME why do they behave for me ALL the time that's easy and I think its the biggest mistake most dog owners make in not being.....

I am ALPHA not Sue not them ME

Looking forward to it :)

Unfortunately I forgot my spare battery and so by the time Sid arrived back from training to film for me, my phone died so ill need to return to the park or just hit the streets over the next few days for you. Sid snapped some piccies though which ill upload in a moment if I can.

Sent from my MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Advent Vega r8 using Tapatalk