Wet Indoor Dog

Osinn11

Mine know the command clean paws and will wait entering the house until their paws are cleaned....when they come in from the rain they also know that they need to be dried off as best as we can even though they will try and run in the house and do the big shake in front of everybody it can be a nice shower LOLOL

I rub Niber down if he's wet, but he don't like it.

Little bit of mud doesn't bother me as we have laminate. Suppose I should teach him to anyway I suppose, but the garden is so bad at the moment with mud that I'd get through far too many towels

I trained Suka to 'wait' until I get a towel. When he sees the towel, he's to go into the 'down' position and 'flop' over to his side, sticking his legs out towards me.

He's a bit defensive with his back paws, so I do those ones quickly (is that a husky thing?).

Sometimes, he doesn't want to lie down (he's wet) so he'll let me lift each one of his paws to clean them, and in return I'm to towel dry him. He loves getting towel dried - its his favourite part of getting wet!!

He seems to know the difference between a wet/muddy day, and a dry day. Because, on a dry day...he doesn't wait for his paws to be wiped because he knows they don't have to be. But, when its muddy or rainy, he'll wait.

We've got a door in our kitchen leading to an enclosed passageway that runs the entire length of our house. It's roofed and carpeted with a door at the end that leads into the garden. I leave the door to the garden open and they come in and wait in the passageway (barking and scratching at the door to come in). I go to them with a towel and dry them off before they can enter, with a "paws" command. Annoyingly, no matter how much I scrub their paws they still manage to smear mud all over my carpets?!!

Annoyingly, no matter how much I scrub their paws they still manage to smear mud all over my carpets?!!

I get that sometimes too. Make sure their legs are clean, the fur inbetween their pads is clean, there is no mud underneath their claws, and that the carpal pad (the 'E' in this photo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Paw_and_pads.jpg) is clean.

I get that sometimes too. Make sure their legs are clean, the fur inbetween their pads is clean, there is no mud underneath their claws, and that the carpal pad (the 'E' in this photo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Paw_and_pads.jpg) is clean.

Thanks. Our soil is heavy clay, you could literally make sculptures with it. It seems to get compacted between the paw pads like you said but refuses to all come off. Clay is a nightmare to remove!

Thanks. Our soil is heavy clay, you could literally make sculptures with it. It seems to get compacted between the paw pads like you said but refuses to all come off. Clay is a nightmare to remove!

Yeah, our soil is clay too. It's a real pain to get off. What I recommend is to soak a cloth in warm water, and use that to clean their claws/paws/etc. I find the warm water helps to get the mud off, especially if its a cold day. And also use lots of elbow grease...