Snowboarding

Stormy

Me and rob are going to learn how to snowboard we went and got all the ski jackets and trousers etc yesterday and had a look at the slope at xscape which is only 10 mins from us. We're going to do a full day course which is 8 hours includes lunch and equipment etc and once you have done this you are allowed to go on the slopes on your own :D going to do it in December I think and go on a holiday next year to go snow boarding :D

Exciting! Anyone else do it?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to go skiing with my parents and sister when I lived at home. We started skiing when we were quite young so I'll always prefer that to boarding but I did learn how to snowboard in Canada and I loved it. Apart from the clothes being a bit more trendy for 'boarders I found it easier to get to grips with than skiing. I'd be prepared to spend some serious time on your bum, although maybe thats just me as I am extremely clumsy! You will have a blast. I've not ventured to the ski slope at the Trafford Centre yet but I've heard it's a great day out. Maybe I'll get my skis back from mum and dads loft this Christmas? :)

My two kids are snowboarders. The thing I can remember most is them learning to snowboard. They seemed to always be sitting on their backsides and then doing backflips to stand up again. My eldest now tackles the trickiest black runs with ease. He has no fear whereas my youngest is more wary and takes things more easily. Me I gave up skiing early on and bought myself a set of snow shoes and am happy to wander around, find a sunny spot with a good book and settle in to let the world go by. Snowsports are great fun and the scenary is amazing. Looking down and seeing what looks like cotton wool floating in the air only to realise it's clouds and you are on a mountain above the cloud cover.

Love it, been doing it for about 7 years now and of the best decisions I've ever made! Although I can't go often these days and might have to miss yearly hol so a bit gutted right now! Just stick with it though like everyone said its easy to spend a lot of time on your arse to start off with but then you quickly find new more stylish ways to fall on your arse lol

Love it, been doing it for about 7 years now and of the best decisions I've ever made! Although I can't go often these days and might have to miss yearly hol so a bit gutted right now! Just stick with it though like everyone said its easy to spend a lot of time on your arse to start off with but then you quickly find new more stylish ways to fall on your arse lol

New stylish ways to fall on your arse? i need to learn these quickly lol

New stylish ways to fall on your arse? i need to learn these quickly lol

My personal favourite is the "Arse Slide", its a real emotional roller coaster where you manage to slip off a rail and land onto it directly, and painfully on your arse but momentum keeps you sliding along it before throwing you off the end back onto your feet like nothing ever happened

My personal favourite is the "Arse Slide", its a real emotional roller coaster where you manage to slip off a rail and land onto it directly, and painfully on your arse but momentum keeps you sliding along it before throwing you off the end back onto your feet like nothing ever happened

Haha!!! Sounds good! Well not the pain part.... lol

Any tips for starting off??

My favourite too. Or I should say the one I'm most familiar with :) This is why I stick with skis more. LOL.

From when I started (I was dreadful) and from what I've seen with friends main thing is just stick with it! There really isn't much to learn compared with skiing its a lot to do with confidence and its easy to get put off by the initial amount of time spent on your bum if you don't just take to it (I've witness this too, and I hate these friends lol)

Tip 1. Powder slows you down as so much more fun! Find it if you can! :D

Tip 2. Use you back/heel side edge to slow down.... "sitting down" is easier than crashing!

Tip 3. After a fall or crash...sometimes it's easier to kneel down facing uphill then stand back up to start going again. Instead of pushing yourself up with your arms. (You wrists will thank you for this!)

Tip 4. Most importantly have fun, stay warm and don't get frustrated!

This is where i will be learning: http://www.snozoneuk.com/v/castleford/the-slope

I used to go the Milton Keynes one all the time and more recently the other companies one in Hemel, Its never the same as being up on the mountain but imo millions better then dry slope and definitely worth it, means you don't have to waste valuable mountain time learning / getting over the awkward "I've not been for ages"!

I used to go the Milton Keynes one all the time and more recently the other companies one in Hemel, Its never the same as being up on the mountain but imo millions better then dry slope and definitely worth it, means you don't have to waste valuable mountain time learning / getting over the awkward "I've not been for ages"!

Think were going on Friday to do the full course :D Well its booked just Rob needs to confirm it with work

Snowboarding is great, the snow here is great this year! Me and my oh are going out soon for a nice boarding session. Where do you want to go on holiday?

Were not sure yet probably not to far away at first (as its really expensive lol)