Eptopic ureters ... Does anyone have experience of this?

Whitehuskys

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh that's so sad, insurance company's are a law unto themselves. Have you tried contacting the pdsa and explaining the problem? Perhaps you could come to some arrangement with the vet or the pdsa?

I believe the vets are trying to do a discounted price for doing a form of experimental operation? I'm not too sure, I'm sure the OP will fill us all in.

Stacey xxx

Hi yes that's me.

she is genuine and a gorgeous puppy. I have been to the RSPCA and they would only help with medicines and would not perform this type of operation. Each time you visit it's a three hour wait and not actually free, although the consultation fees are £14 a time. She is insured but of course this is a birth defect and per existing so not covered.

vet fees are mounting but I will do my best for her as I love her to bits already.

She is on anti biotics constantly and propalin to ease the incontinence. She is happy and michevious and as long as she is happy I will continue to try help her.

i have a great vet who is trying their best to accommodate me with a payment plan and reduced fees. I am just a normal divorced working mum with four teenage kids.

Some people are concerned with laying the blame for the condition which is frustrating. I have the pup and my concern is giving her a shot at life.

julie

Hi yes I contacted blue cross but you have to be unemployed and on housing benefit etc. I contacted RSPCA and although it goes on income if you qualify they would only help with the x rays and reduced meds not the op itself.

Also it's at least three hour wait every time you go and Nika is at vets every couple of weeks

I think why you are getting so slated for it is because of the circumstances of how you got the pup but im sure you've figured out by now that what you or you husband did was very irresponsible.

Personally although I don't agree with what happened, I just care about the puppy so I'll help if I can.

I used to have a rescue husky, but in his circumstances, the previous owner had kicked all of his bladder in. So much so that he couldn't control it any more. We weren't given any operation options but we put him on Uralin which is supposed to be for bitches in heat that struggle to control it. The medicine really helped him.

Hope that bit of info will help in some way.

Stacey xxx

Hi we once had 3 pups from two separate litters (same father) with ectopic ureter. Unfortunately the condition in all three were so severe that surgery was not an option and they all had to be pts - one at 7 weeks and two at only two weeks old. Luckily it sounds as if your girl is operable. Luckily it is an extremely rare condition.

Good luck with your little girl - we know from experience how worrying it can be!

Mick

I haven't had to deal with this, however I wish you the best of luck for raising the funds for the surgery and the actual surgery itself. Keep us updated...

[MENTION=2703]Staceybob[/MENTION], can you clear your PMs? Your inbox is full...

Hi yes I contacted blue cross but you have to be unemployed and on housing benefit etc. I contacted RSPCA and although it goes on income if you qualify they would only help with the x rays and reduced meds not the op itself.

Also it's at least three hour wait every time you go and Nika is at vets every couple of weeks

Have you considered approaching a veterinary college? If it is so rare, they might want to have their students have the experience, of course, supervised surgery by a real licensed veterinarian. I would take any help for paying, like xrays and meds from anyone willing to give it. We just did dentals, scraping an eyelid on one of the boys, dew claws on the other, as well as roots removed from a broken tooth that we didn't even know about. It was $850...USD...YIKES...good thing they are regularly very healthy lads. The bigger problem of the day was their little sister feeling out of sorts because her brothers were gone all day and then they could not play with her when they got home!

Have you considered approaching a veterinary college? If it is so rare, they might want to have their students have the experience, of course, supervised surgery by a real licensed veterinarian. I would take any help for paying, like xrays and meds from anyone willing to give it. We just did dentals, scraping an eyelid on one of the boys, dew claws on the other, as well as roots removed from a broken tooth that we didn't even know about. It was $850...USD...YIKES...good thing they are regularly very healthy lads. The bigger problem of the day was their little sister feeling out of sorts because her brothers were gone all day and then they could not play with her when they got home!

I feel the pain in your pocket :$ we used to joke about Loki having cost us the most at the vets. Once for an ear infection (£38) and once for a bee sting (£28)

Then Safi happened :| I honestly don't want to add up what that total comes to lol

hi Mick,

I am so sorry to hear about your pups. I wonder if it follows the mother or father in the genes?

The father of Nika has a long line of cruft winning parents and is a beautiful boy. There was never any mention of this condition.

We didn't realise until mum stopped feeding so much and the pups were introduced onto solids. I guess she was being cleaned up well. She does attempt to go to the toilet and does a small puddle but drips as she walks too. It is worse when she is asleep.

The worrying thing is when she is off the anti biotics she gets a water infection which makes her bleed. The ultrasound showed that she had normal kidneys and a small bladder.

She has been to vets every couple of weeks and is growing well is bubbly and mischievous!

My vet is going to perform the operation as a training operation as its not that common. Still waiting for final costs but they hinted it would be discounted and I can pay it off monthly.

It is a heartbreaking condition and of course if he had known that it could be in the genes he would not have let her have a litter. Mum will be spayed now and the owners of the females in the litter will be informed they should not breed in the future.

The huskies my boyfriend has are well fed and well exercised healthy dogs. I have taken Nika on and will do the best I can to get her fixed and give her a great husky life.

People are very judgemental and puppies are birn all the time. Nobody would want this condition or breed a dog that knowingly had this in their genes. I have taken my facebook page off as I am fed up with the inquisitions and barage of people who dont care about the puppy.

I just hoped to find similar people who had gone through this operation. I would like to know if it helped as I have heard mixed reviews from surfing.

many Thanks,

Julie