Confusing situation. Ectopic Ureter.

BrittanyNicole

As in all mammals, sexual maturation causes all the systems to develop, so that if her sphincter is immature and too loose because of it, the hormonal change as she matures *may* help improve the situation. I'm not familiar with the problem, as I've never had one with it, sorry!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zoey has been doing really well the past couple days with the leaking, but this morning it's just constant. She's taking in as much water as she normally does, but she seems to be off her food lately. I try to get her to eat by holding the food out in front of her in my hand and she'll eat it, but I don't want her to get used to me doing that for her.

The vet said there is nothing wrong with her, as in sickness wise, so I don't know if she is just being stubborn about her food or what. She's been eating the same food for 3 weeks and she's all of a sudden started doing this. >_<

• 2 months later...

Nika is five months now. Last week she had dye X-rays under general anaesthetic. This followed the journey of dye through bloodstream to kidneys to bladder etc. found she had a complicated right side eptopic ureter and that the left was also eptopic and required repair. The situation has been that she needs nappies indoors and pools urine wherever she sits. Nappies have been the only option and a low dose antibiotic since seven weeks constant to keep uti infections down.

Yesterday she had eptopic repairs under general anaesthetic three hours of surgery. Vet is pleased and she now has her tubes going into the bladder. The bladder is small and never been used so she will need a month ate aat to get used to the sensation of it feeling full and will want to pee constantly. Toilet training all over again. I raised the money through eBay and have paid £370 for X-rays and £850 for repairs. The dog is worth it to me and I'm glad I never put her to sleep. She deserves a happy life x

It's difficult to know what to advise until you know the full extent of the condition. On one level the breeder has made you a reasonable offer of "replacing" your pup with one from his/her next litter, but this in itself raises issues. Will the "new" pup be from the same mating, or from totally different dogs? The reason I ask is that ectopic ureter can be hereditary - I know this because we lost three pups from two separate litters with the condition. The mothers were totally unrelated, but the sire was the same in both cases. Unfortunately in our pups the condition was so serious as to be inoperable and they all had to be pts. 

Also it will be difficult to assess the likely cost of surgery (if it is necessary) until a full CT scan etc has been carried out - as Whitehuskies has shown above, it can affect one or both ureters with different degrees of seriousness.

Good luck with her!

Nika is home today x lots of staples and pain killers . The vet showed me a video of her bladder and ureters clearly showing that the ureters were joined to the bladder on the outside by did dot drain into it at all. She now has the anatomy corrected but has never got the idea of potty training. We need to wait a month to see if her bladder learns to hold more and if her sphincter muscles can hold the bladder shut. She has added complication of a bladder that sits too far back. She won't ever breed for fear of passing the condition on so we will spay her and leave the womb in place to support the bladder position, which may need correcting to if the incontinence does not ease up.