Collars off in the home

Stormy

I used to keep my dogs collars on all the time! I crated the dogs the other day came back to find shadows collar off now this is fine but it not worries me that it may get caught and i wonder how it came off also.. So i take them off now and they only go on when we are going out for a walk... the garden is completely enclosed and they are never left unsupervised in the house or garden anyway so i dont worry about them escaping.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shadows collar is a semi slip so maybe i need to tighten it more??

Why don't you just get her a regular rolled leather collar for indoors. You aren't supposed to leave a semi slip on without a leash because if it does get caught it will pull and strangle. Ours have a tendency to pull each other's off when they are playing because they dig for it in their necks and shake!:eek:

Aleu's is on all the time but she wears a half check. When the chain is tightened, I can still fit my whole hand through. If she wanted to she could easily take it off, but she spends all day sleeping when I'm not around, I have it on simply because it's easier to hold her when answering the door and so if she darted out the door, she'd have more than just her microchip to go by.

Stacey xxx

Why don't you just get her a regular rolled leather collar for indoors. You aren't supposed to leave a semi slip on without a leash because if it does get caught it will pull and strangle. Ours have a tendency to pull each other's off when they are playing because they dig for it in their necks and shake!:eek:

The reason i got one was because shadow is so fluffy that other collars make him look so odd as his fur just bunches up so much i dont know the best option really...

Skye's collar is just a regular buckle collar which has the holes to adjust as she is still growing i wont buy another till shes a bit bigger

The reason i got one was because shadow is so fluffy that other collars make him look so odd as his fur just bunches up so much i dont know the best option really...

Skye's collar is just a regular buckle collar which has the holes to adjust as she is still growing i wont buy another till shes a bit bigger

Ours have their collars loose so they can get out ov them if they need to but won't tighten up on them like a semi-slip

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

Giz and Maisy don't have collars on because maisys is noisy and bugs me and Gizmo gets thrown around the room by D if he has it on :rolleyes:

D has his on because my family are idiots and still haven't realised that if the doors open stay means nothing to him :(

However i have changed to a flat collar from a half check collar because he got his foot caught in it the other day

LOL this just happened to Yukon the other day...Nikko had him by the neck and was shaking him like he always does...and off came his collar! Yukon has the buckle collar, but Nikko's is the adjustable collar without any buckles that I got from Indi-Dog.

I've put them back on them now i just like how shadows sits but i am worried about it getting caught and tightening due to being the semi slip so i will probably invest in a couple of flat collars but have them on him looser so it doesnt make his fur look all weird!

Ours have theirs on all the time. We did have a phase were we left them off after a couple of freak accidents involving play and teeth getting caught in webbing. Peppa was almost strangled by Safi. They were playing (before they didn't get along) and Safi got her tooth through the webbing of Peppa's collar. In trying to disengage themselves they were rolling over and over in a panic which basically garrotted Peppa. This all happened in seconds. It took two of us to hold them both steady while one of us cut through the collar. Poor Peppa always seems to come off worst, her tongue was blue and the blood vessels in her eyes burst. The same happened again not long after only outside in the garden. This time it was Loki's collar who Safi got her teeth caught on. Safi was in a blind panic and Loki was a star. He stood completely calm while his collar got cut off ( bread knives are amazing). We left them off for a time after that but I missed not having something to grab