Collars off in the home

Stormy

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No collars here. Wouldn't quite trust it as they always play with each other. I've seen how my cat nearly strangled himself to death and I can see the same could happen to a dog. Both stopped bothering with doors being open. There is a separate door before you get to the front door anyway. Think they look much better this way anyway :)

Im so confused i have no idea what to do for the best really maybe just take them off when they go in their crates as when they are out of them i am around with them :)

Take them off if your not there to supervise , that's what we do with skyla specially after she got her jaw stuck trying to chew it off lol

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

We came to some traffic lights on our way home the windy way once. The lights were at a single lane bridge before a railway station outside a riding stables come boarding kennel. Out of nowhere and in front of the oncoming traffic three dogs dashed across the road coming from the riding stable entrance. I shouted to the OH to pull into the station car park an jumped out of the car to go catch them. They went after someone walking their dog. As I got to the dogs all labs, non had collars on! Have you tried to hold a Labrador without a collar on? I dashed back to the car to see if I had a spare lead but unusually didn't. I ended up using my jacket (arms) and a scarf for two an the dog walker used his lead for the third. The OH was on his way to the stables to raise the alarm when someone met him coming the other way.

Thats the flip side of not having collars on lol

I still wonder and worry if those dogs were boarders or belonged to the stables?

I have never put collars on mine, mainly because I have always used harnesses and thought that using collars was dangerous for throat development and could damage bones in their necks....plus i am the only one that walks them and they are never out without me....except in the garden.

Is there any benefit to wearing collars other than name tags in the event of escape?

None of mine wear collars indoors. I don't like what it does to the fur. Diesel came to us aged 6 having worn a collar all his life and his neck fur was awful, so the collar came right off! Plus having 3 that play a lot, I'm worried about twisted paws & snagged nails, etc

I agree with you. Mine never have their collars on except when going on a walk. I got a husky whom was chained up all the time and she had no hair around where her collar was and it still has not grown back. But i guess it is what the owners want to do : )

Mine never wear collars unless we going on walks other than that while in the kennel or lose in my back yard no collars at all. Long time ago I had a female Doberman lose at night in my back yard and she tried to jump my wall fence with iron arrows on top of the fence and got stuck with her collar on an arrow 2am heard her scream and got up to find her with her paw nails with blood trying to get off and almost choked to death.

Always on here too. They come off at night while sleeping. We don't like hearing all the clanging of the tags. However Vader's stays on all the time his choker and regular collar simply because he freaks if something is going over his head or around his neck. If Rori is crated then we take hers off. She has gotten it stuck and choked herself in the past.

We don't like hearing all the clanging of the tags.

Why not? :P

Seriously though...I love the fact that Suka's tags make so much noise. I've managed to track him down the 'few' times he's escaped just by listening for the jingle. (You get used to it after a while...and they don't jingle when he's walking around.)

Another reason why I leave mine on (I'm continuing from a post I made a few months ago...don't want to go back to requote it), is so I have something to grab on to. I won't grab on to his scruff, because I only grab his scruff for when he's been REALLY bad...don't want him to get used to it.

Why not? :P

Seriously though...I love the fact that Suka's tags make so much noise. I've managed to track him down the 'few' times he's escaped just by listening for the jingle. (You get used to it after a while...and they don't jingle when he's walking around.)

Oh don't get me wrong. It is only at night when we are sleeping. The reds are in bed with us and the door is shut so there is no chance for escape. When we are not sleeping they are on. Yes it is easy to grab them and lets us know where in the house they are.

Oh don't get me wrong. It is only at night when we are sleeping. The reds are in bed with us and the door is shut so there is no chance for escape. When we are not sleeping they are on. Yes it is easy to grab them and lets us know where in the house they are.

I couldn't have all mine in the bedroom at night, I'd not be able to breathe!! Lol

I couldn't imagine having more than 1 dog in my bedroom! Sometimes its so stuffy I have to leave the window open during the night so I can breathe easier! :P

I think I read somewhere to your not supposed to let them sleep in your room, something about having greater risk of developing allergies to them??

I couldn't imagine having more than 1 dog in my bedroom! Sometimes its so stuffy I have to leave the window open during the night so I can breathe easier! :P

I think I read somewhere to your not supposed to let them sleep in your room, something about having greater risk of developing allergies to them??

Ive no idea, but I am asthmatic, I've had cats an rats for years but can now no longer tolerate 1) being in the same room ( or even floor) as the rats and 2) having the cats sit on or near me.

I have a similar issue with cosmetics, bath stuffs, deodorants.. Anything actually. I have a limited time of use, even supposed 'sensitive' stuff lol.. I personally don't see having the dogs in the bedroom as 'healthy'

• 1 month later...

Kira never wears a collar, I don't even know where is her collar, I think it's lost.

She lives in the house where she doesn't need it, when in the back yard she's always monitored, and in the walks she wears a harness so no need for a collar