Do any of you suffer from eczema ??

Andy

I have, for more than 20 years.

Just wondering if you do. . . .

Are you able to keep it under control ??

What do you use ??

Ahhh, a subject very close to my heart - although I wish it wasn't.

I've had it since early childhood (mainly knee and elbow creases), and contact dermatitis also. My 20 year old son has also been afflicted with this particular nuisance.

I used to use a lot of steroid prescription creams until a new GP I had told me to throw it all away...along with:

Fairy washing up liquid

Flash household cleaner

latex gloves

nylon clothing/bedding

and any shampoo/conditioner that is expensive (the more expensive, the harsher the chemical in her view; that said, there wasn't yet a niche market for sensitive skin products at that time. 15 years + ago).

Part of the treatment is finding out what irritates your skin. With me it was a host of things, but washing powder is a good place to start, closely followed by what you wash your body with. Try PH45 products for bath/shower, plus a cotton flannel and anything other than Persil/Ariel washing powder.

Peeling potatoes is a no-no for me, and so is wearing rubber gloves, although I have worked out that I can get away with it for about 10 minutes without any adverse effects.

Savalon cream is a good soother as it cools the skin. Being too warm, I have found, lends itself to itching becoming an irresistible pastime. :D

If it gets badly out of control I use pure coconut oil. (It must be pure though.) I literally drizzle the oil on the affected bit, then wrap it it pure cotton cloth. I wash with warm water (no soap), dab it dry and repeat the process.

Hope you find something in this post that helps.;)

I suffer from Pomphylox Eczema and I hate it. It's not your typical red itchy type of eczema, it causes me to get huge blisters on the sole of my feet that are extremely painful to walk on. They're triggered by my feet getting too hot and stress. I really suffer in the summer so I have to wear these sandle boot things so I get enough air to my feet.

One time, my feet were under control and we headed to Portugal. By the time our plane had landed in Portugal, my feet had already flared up from the temperature change. It sucks.

Stacey xxx

Something to add. I noticed on your profile you mentioned having finished packing and moving house. I find cardboard is a bugger for setting my skin off as well. If you've had a recent flare up that could be a contributor.

Yes, I forgot about that...dusty items set me off as well. (Touching it.) The loft isn't a good place for me. Oh, and fibreglass is a big enemy.

I suffer from Pomphylox Eczema and I hate it. It's not your typical red itchy type of eczema, it causes me to get huge blisters on the sole of my feet that are extremely painful to walk on. They're triggered by my feet getting too hot and stress. I really suffer in the summer so I have to wear these sandle boot things so I get enough air to my feet.

One time, my feet were under control and we headed to Portugal. By the time our plane had landed in Portugal, my feet had already flared up from the temperature change. It sucks.

Stacey xxx

Wow that sounds awful. . . :grouphug:

Ahhh, a subject very close to my heart - although I wish it wasn't.

I've had it since early childhood (mainly knee and elbow creases), and contact dermatitis also. My 20 year old son has also been afflicted with this particular nuisance.

I used to use a lot of steroid prescription creams until a new GP I had told me to throw it all away...along with:

Fairy washing up liquid

Flash household cleaner

latex gloves

nylon clothing/bedding

and any shampoo/conditioner that is expensive (the more expensive, the harsher the chemical in her view; that said, there wasn't yet a niche market for sensitive skin products at that time. 15 years + ago).

Part of the treatment is finding out what irritates your skin. With me it was a host of things, but washing powder is a good place to start, closely followed by what you wash your body with. Try PH45 products for bath/shower, plus a cotton flannel and anything other than Persil/Ariel washing powder.

Peeling potatoes is a no-no for me, and so is wearing rubber gloves, although I have worked out that I can get away with it for about 10 minutes without any adverse effects.

Savalon cream is a good soother as it cools the skin. Being too warm, I have found, lends itself to itching becoming an irresistible pastime. :D

If it gets badly out of control I use pure coconut oil. (It must be pure though.) I literally drizzle the oil on the affected bit, then wrap it it pure cotton cloth. I wash with warm water (no soap), dab it dry and repeat the process.

Hope you find something in this post that helps.;)

Thanks for the info.

Mine is on the outside of my left calf from ankle to knee.

I use steroid cremes about once every couple of months just to0 try to calm it down.

I cycle through different creams and unctions every month as I find the skin get "used" to it and it stops being effective.

I also stay away from any artificial clothing, polyester etc.

I wash with Wrights coal tar soap as that is supposed to be helpful.

The things that really trigger mine is stress and tiredness.

I file my fingernails short every day.

even so I can draw blood with a good session. :eek:

I'm trying some new stuff today Salucra Dermaspray.

So far so good, it's supposed to cool the skin and suppress the itchiness.

You file your fingernails short everyday? Jeez...that brings back (painful) memories...

Yearghhh... I'm getting a sense of how crappy this is for you then. :grouphug:

Lol!Trust me, I know how hard this gets; I once scrubbed my hands with a nailbrush so hard that it took the skin off. I then used a Bic razor and shaved off the top layer of skin to ease the itching.

Needless to say, I ended up in casualty with green (yes, green) pus oozing from underneath my fingernails, such was the extent of the infection.

I had to wear cotton gloves for weeks -24/7. :( Along with antibiotics, it was the coconut oil that sorted it out eventually.

Steroids are very harsh and thin the skin, so avoid them wherever possible. Instead, take the time to find out what is irritating your skin, and what calms it. Stress is obviously difficult to control (I'm a big ball of stress) and I can't help with that one I'm afraid.

Bless, I do feel for you. x

P.S - Keep some cool sheets/pillow cases (100% COTTON) on hand for bedtime, and tuck your knees under some cool pillows in the middle of the night that you have stored on the floor nearby.:)

Also, buy some cotton gloves from Boots to wear in bed. They'll help to stop you damaging your skin during itchy sessions in the night. ;)

You file your fingernails short everyday? Jeez...that brings back (painful) memories...

Yearghhh... I'm getting a sense of how crappy this is for you then. :grouphug:

Lol!Trust me, I know how hard this gets; I once scrubbed my hands with a nailbrush so hard that it took the skin off. I then used a Bic razor and shaved off the top layer of skin to ease the itching.

Needless to say, I ended up in casualty with green (yes, green) pus oozing from underneath my fingernails, such was the extent of the infection.

I had to wear cotton gloves for weeks -24/7. :( Along with antibiotics, it was the coconut oil that sorted it out eventually.

Bless, I do feel for you. x

Ouch :(

People tell you. . . "Well don't scratch it then". . . :o

If they've never had it they really don't understand. . .you CAN'T ignore it.

and the longer you leave it the worse the itch gets, it becomes all you can think of.

Then when you do finally give in and scratch it. . .

Well, it's better than sex.

The relief is so good that you don't stop until you bleed.

This may sound daft and you probably already know anyway and it doesn't help in your sleep. But when you absolutely have to scratch, try scratching in one direction not both. Don't know how best to describe it.. Use the edge of your nail like normal but scratch away not towards. I find it seems to do less damage. . Try going both ways an you'll see what I mean, one grates more than the other. Don't do the gratey one lol

This may sound daft and you probably already know anyway and it doesn't help in your sleep. But when you absolutely have to scratch, try scratching in one direction not both. Don't know how best to describe it.. Use the edge of your nail like normal but scratch away not towards. I find it seems to do less damage. . Try going both ways an you'll see what I mean, one grates more than the other. Don't do the gratey one lol

Thanks, yeah tried that.

It didn't satisfy the itch demon though, ended up doing the two stroke. . . lol

My husband has it and has tried many things.

Usually some type of steroid cream from the DR or shots. We did have him do a special diet for two weeks where he tried to see if eliminating certain foods would stop it. Found out he's more susceptible when eating/drinking a lot of dairy.

There is a particular shot he gets that dries it all up and it disappears for about a month, then starts coming back at those same spots - fingers, elbows, etc.

Wow that sounds awful. . . :grouphug:

I absolutely hate it. Worst is if I get a really bad flare up, I have to put this cream on my feet and wrap them in cling film whilst I sleep :( Luckily I haven't had to do that for a few years, but when it flares up the only way I can describe the feeling is it feels like you're walking on hot coal, like it almost burns.

[MENTION=430]valkyries[/MENTION] it's tempting to pop them but nine times out of ten, I've already got a blister ready and waiting under that blister lol.

Stacey xxx